Keith P

Free Member
Nov 10, 2011
Isle of man
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Does anyone use CB Radios in there motorhomes?

Currently travelling in Spain, see a lot of motorhomes passing, would be nice to chat as well as wave :)

Would be good to have CB for motorhomes as the norm to pass on usefull information to others and vice versa, i think there is a definite use for them

What do you think?

Please advise

Keith

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't know whether there is a PMR car to car channel but we have once used PMR radios MH to MH in a convoy. Range is not good so would only be good for a quick word if passing in opposite directions on a motorway.
I expect many motorhomers have these radios as they are generally cheap and useful for reversing instructions.
I have two sets in the van, the best ones were also the cheapest and run on AA batteries. The more expensive rechargeable ones always seem to be flat when I want to use them.
Why not nominate an official MHFun channel?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Got a CB and have had one for many years, I use it a lot to whilst abroad but not many in UK have them now, More is the pity.

Far better range than a PMR set.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I have also always used CB for years, due to landrovers etc. You should normally get arnge of about 2-4 miles, sometimes a bit more in open country, sometimes a bit less in mountainous terrain.
One of the disadvantages if fitting to a motorhome, is the moun ting point. IT should normally be metal, but there is a large amount of ally on a MH so you need to take that into consoderation, mounting on a ladder frame or roofr ack wuld probably be the way to go.
Its wise to have it "tuned" or "SWR'd in" so that the ariel and unit are working together, failure to do this will cook the set in the long term.
You can pick up kits and advice from companies such as "Thunderpole" for abpout £75....thats it, no more to pay...ever!

The advantages are being able to talk to other MH users (not while driving as its the same as being on the phone, so unit is best placed near co pilot), and even abroad, going on channel 19 will get you in contact with any british truckers about, who will always offer good advice should you need it.
PMR are OK, but illegal in a hell of a lot of countries.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Yep, got one. Not much use in UK these days though, unless travelling in company...:Sad: ... Use it a lot in mainland Europe though.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a multi country chicken box in the van .. Had a few contacts around Europe but they are few and far between
Although I have European ( CEPT ) channels plus the AM German ones, plus a few of the other countries, I usually leave it on the old UK 27/81 channels and monitor channel 19..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The advantages are being able to talk to other MH users (not while driving as its the same as being on the phone, so unit is best placed near co pilot), and even abroad, going on channel 19 will get you in contact with any british truckers about, who will always offer good advice should you need it.

Sorry....No it isn't !

stupid as it sounds, a handheld microphone or proper hardwired car phone is legal to use...at least it is in the UK.

but you could be done for 'not in proper control', but saying that, it (offence) also applies to fiddling with a dash radio, driving one handed on wheel etc

Exemptions
Calls can be made to 999 or 112 in a genuine emergency, provided stopping is unsafe or impractical.

Other devices that send or receive data (for example Personal Digital Assistants) are not exempt. The one exception is two way radios.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Sorry....No it isn't !

stupid as it sounds, a handheld microphone or proper hardwired car phone is legal to use...at least it is in the UK.

but you could be done for 'not in proper control', but saying that, it (offence) also applies to fiddling with a dash radio, driving one handed on wheel etc

Highway code, current edition, page 49, point149;
You must excercise proper control over your vehicle at all times.You MUST NOT use a hand held mobile phone, or similar device, when driving or supervising a learner driver except to call 999 or 112 in an emergency when it is iunsafe or impractical to stop. Never use a hand held microphone when driving. using hands free equipment is also likely to distract your attention from the road.
(Laws RTA 1988 sects 2 & 3& CUR regs104&110).

Regulation 104 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 makes
it an offence for a person to drive a motor vehicle if he or she cannot have proper
control of the vehicle. Anyone "causing or permitting" a driver not to have proper
control, such as an employer requiring an employee to drive a vehicle which they
cannot properly control, is also liable for prosecution. It is reportedly the intention of
the police, in the event of a serious, or fatal, road traffic accident to seize any mobile
phone found in the vehicle, or in the drivers possession, for purposes of checking to
see if the device was ‘in use’ at the time of the accident.​

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Highway code, current edition, page 49, point149;
You must excercise proper control over your vehicle at all times.You MUST NOT use a hand held mobile phone, or similar device, when driving or supervising a learner driver except to call 999 or 112 in an emergency when it is iunsafe or impractical to stop. Never use a hand held microphone when driving. using hands free equipment is also likely to distract your attention from the road.
(Laws RTA 1988 sects 2 & 3& CUR regs104&110).

Regulation 104 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 makes
it an offence for a person to drive a motor vehicle if he or she cannot have proper
control of the vehicle. Anyone "causing or permitting" a driver not to have proper
control, such as an employer requiring an employee to drive a vehicle which they
cannot properly control, is also liable for prosecution. It is reportedly the intention of
the police, in the event of a serious, or fatal, road traffic accident to seize any mobile
phone found in the vehicle, or in the drivers possession, for purposes of checking to
see if the device was ‘in use’ at the time of the accident.​

I stand corrected :Blush: current rules have changed.

has anyone told taxi/private hire drivers the rules :Doh:

and how many folks have been prosecuted for any of these offences.....
i've broken at least one of them every time i drive in my car or van

Safe driving and riding needs concentration.
Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as
loud music (this may mask other sounds)........... Yes
trying to read maps........................................No
inserting a cassette or CD or tuning a radio......Yes
arguing with your passengers or other road users..Yes
eating and drinking..............................................Yes
smoking.............................................................. Definitely Yes
You MUST NOT smoke in public transport vehicles or in vehicles used for work purposes in certain prescribed circumstances. Separate regulations apply to England, Wales and Scotland.
[Laws TSf(EV) regs 2007, TSfP(W) regs 2007 & TPSCP(S) regs 2006]

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It is reportedly the intention of
see if the device was ‘in use’ at the time of the accident.

that would not be possible with a CB/2 way radio....unless they had a time machine :Doh:::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
bahhh you will be telling me next truck drivers arent allowed to watch telly read a newspaper eat and drink and play with the seat cover all at the same time and use the phone plus cb radio. . how do you think them up. wouldnt get anything delivered acording to that. hee hee . shut up turn over the channel. ha ha
i like the bit try to read a map . i can read one so thats ok.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
PJ is absolutely correct..

Being a licensed radio op since gawd knows when I could quote chapter and verse but its late and I canna be sorting it out..

However......................
Let me explain the reasoning though as it might help
First off, historically mics were not allowed .. then a case was brought before the courts when a barrister was nicked for using his CB radio whilst on the move
The case was dismissed when it was pointed out to the court if the law was to be enforced it would cripple many mobile communication systems then in use by various emergency services.
As many will know, contrary to common belief, our police and various other services who look after us have to obey the same laws as the rest of us EXCEPT IN EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES ( which allows for speeding etc etc )

of course, 90% + of all police comms are not an emergency as such, and in rural areas using a radio is absolutely essential.. That, and various other reasons meant that the law was changed in 1981 ( from memory .. might have been a year either side, but 1981 was the year CB radio became legal in the UK )

Now then, in later years things changed with the advent of mobile phones.. at least it did when people started doing stupid things with them while driving !!

But an exception had to be put in place,but it is fairly specific by way of a change and leaves little room for ambiguity or interpretation. I believe the wording is something like:

A microphone with a single switch or button to activate it is permissible

The point being that there is NOTHING for you to play with on it.. It takes no more effort to use that a gear lever or a light switch ( for instance )
There are reams and reams of more squit about it but hopefully you will get the gist of it all :Smile:

Someone somewhere actually took a step back, looked at what issues would be caused within our services and legislated ( obviously with considerable help from folk who KNEW whats what ) in a suitable and intelligent way

All of this has been on going since the early 80's and has been changed repeatedly as technology has moved on.. In fact thinking about it, it must be one of the few sets of rules/laws ( whatever you wish to call it ) that has been husbanded well for the past 30 + years and not left to stagnate and become obsolete

Much of what is laid down is little more than guide lines and suggestions but the core remains absolute

So DL, in a really odd way, it is thanks in part at least to CB radio that your chums can legally use a mic ( not that they do nowadays normally as the book of words 'strongly suggests' against it.. but you aint breaking any laws by doing it ::bigsmile: )

But of course all of this is negated if you are using a mic and are in an accident as it would likely be considered a big contributing factor

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Papajohns first post is correct, it is not an offence to use a handheld microphone whilst driving

You could however be done for driving without due care and attention or a similar offence.

This is well documented in law and if it were earlier I would get the relevant documentation out of the van which is carried in case of any arguments

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
:Blush:I was,nt trying to dissagree for the sake of it chaps,...ive just done a "speed awareness course" where i was given the highway code, and read it just to see how much i did,nt bleddy know:Blush:
If we happen to meet up at anytime Jaws, i,d like a bit of enlightenment on VHF radios:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
The Highway Code documents the rules by which all road users must abide. It tells you which things you [HI]should not[/HI] do, [HI]and which you may not lawfully[/HI] do.

[HI]The Highway Code is not law[/HI], but it does include many points of law (denoted by the word [HI]must[/HI] in bold type).

Failing to observe the code, while not in itself an offence, may be taken as evidence of 'driving without due care', a catch-all charge covering the many types of blithering stupidity perpetrated by road users.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
go on whatch this

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d189uP-48sU[/ame]

10-4

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
:Blush:I was,nt trying to dissagree for the sake of it chaps,...ive just done a "speed awareness course" where i was given the highway code, and read it just to see how much i did,nt bleddy know:Blush:
If we happen to meet up at anytime Jaws, i,d like a bit of enlightenment on VHF radios:thumb:

You foolish person you ! Have you NO idea how boring I am when it comes to these sort of things !
Happy to impart anything I can of course DL :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I use mine all the time

I have also always used CB for years, due to landrovers etc. You should normally get arnge of about 2-4 miles, sometimes a bit more in open country, sometimes a bit less in mountainous terrain.
One of the disadvantages if fitting to a motorhome, is the moun ting point. IT should normally be metal, but there is a large amount of ally on a MH so you need to take that into consoderation, mounting on a ladder frame or roofr ack wuld probably be the way to go.
Its wise to have it "tuned" or "SWR'd in" so that the ariel and unit are working together, failure to do this will cook the set in the long term.
You can pick up kits and advice from companies such as "Thunderpole" for abpout £75....thats it, no more to pay...ever!

I have one of the smallest cab CB's and use the American mic retractor so it can be used by me or Sue as needed.. we also have a good quality hand held unit to use for parking etc., But we use the CB in the UK and in Europe.. mainly pick up poles on the road jabbering on the CB, not so much UK truckers these days.. an idiot near Dartford on a base unit that thinks every other word is F**k this and F**K that..... Have used the hand held as a vehicle unit a few times.. my daughter had it in her car with a roof mount mag and we run in convoy a few miles apart to the South of France.

I found a very good shop in Kidderminster .. mail order .. Roy (the owner) was very helpful.. I have a gutter mount that does not need a ground plan of the ariel and is a complete self contained matched unit.. works great, given 90% of my RV is fibreglass. .. big issue that was until Roy got round it for me.

Best use is on site getting in to hard places and up on the ramps to level.. much better than the silly handheld un its that came with the RV as part of the build..

Bob

p.s Love the video.. really great

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back