Caxton FX prepay Euro MasterCard (1 Viewer)

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Recently applied for and received a Caxton FX prepay Euro mastercard

Very few charges and quite a good exchange rate when loading up got 1.169 as opposed to the post office cash rate of 1.158 will use it this week when we go to France will see how good it is.

Apparently can be used in automated petrol stations in France

Easy to load up online

We will see

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Yes, indeed, Gary and Cathy - please let us know how you get on at a filling station if you use it there - very interesting!

Dick from the BPG

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I had one of these for my 4 months in Europe. Used it as a credit card mainly for diesel and LPG - no problem. Great to be able to withdraw cash with it and not get charged. Only downside I could see was you had to load a minimum of 150 Euros. I ended up with money left on it but I can use it again when we go back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Can you not use it in the UK or is it euros only

stew

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Can you not use it in the UK or is it euros only

stew

You can use in the UK but then you will lose out on the exchange rate having transfered from sterling to Euro then back to Sterling for your purchase

I use another prepay card for the UK (i don't use credit cards since I had my identity stolen a couple of years ago) which is CashPlus this is a gold mastercard very good.

www.mycashplus.co.uk

Hope that helps:thumb:

Gary

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I've been contemplating getting one of these cards for my trip to France in May. Please let us know how you get on with it and if any problems arise. Have a good trip.:thumb:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Had a Caxton FX card for a couple of years, got fed up paying Barclays in Spain 26 euros every time I paid a cheque into my account there.

Now just load the card as I need it ny Internet or text, very simple. As it is not covered by the financial services compensation scheme I tend to limit the balance to £500 ish, although I don't really see them as a risk.

You can load the card whilst abroad and then go to an ATM shortly afterwards and get money out. Exchange rate is always good too, never had a problem when paying for tolls, fuel, etc.

Mike

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Had a Caxton FX card for a couple of years, got fed up paying Barclays in Spain 26 euros every time I paid a cheque into my account there.

Now just load the card as I need it ny Internet or text, very simple. As it is not covered by the financial services compensation scheme I tend to limit the balance to £500 ish, although I don't really see them as a risk.

You can load the card whilst abroad and then go to an ATM shortly afterwards and get money out. Exchange rate is always good too, never had a problem when paying for tolls, fuel, etc.

Mike

I was about to apply for one but read that the fee for cash withdrawal non uk is 2.99% plus £2 for using the card so we might as well continue using our mastercard we have already, we have a santander zero card for purchases when we go abroad but thanks for the info:thumb:

Sorry that was supposed to have been Toffs-g quote !!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Caxtons charges seem much lower than most

Link Removed

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I was about to apply for one but read that the fee for cash withdrawal non uk is 2.99% plus £2 for using the card so we might as well continue using our mastercard we have already, we have a santander zero card for purchases when we go abroad but thanks for the info:thumb:!

Perhaps I'm reading it incorrectly - but I think it says "International ATM Transaction ZERO per transaction". Although there is a charge for UK ATM usage.

If I'm wrong let me know.

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Perhaps I'm reading it incorrectly - but I think it says "International ATM Transaction ZERO per transaction". Although there is a charge for UK ATM usage.

If I'm wrong let me know.

Yes indeed it's one of the reasons for going for them checked out compare the Market

We will see when we come to use it

Cheers
Gary

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have applied for one

It was painless applying.. £10.00 up front which you get back when you load your first funds.. passport number, select your own pin number and moible number, debit card number etc., took five minutes ..checked me out against the passport number some how.

Yes if you have the euro card (US card, Euro and a UK card to decided on) wanted the euro to use it for fuel at automated pumps in for the night runs.

you have to load 150 euros min.. also there is a shadow hold on funds at fuel stations of 120 euros regardless how much fuel you load.. that stays on the card for up to 15 days.. We have an RV so taking on the max on a pump at night of 90 euros is not to much of a problem.. the transaction sorts its self out over a week or so and you have the differance put back to the card. We will load about 500 euros to play safe.. enough to pay for the fuel at night ..we use cash the rest of the time in any case.

It looks good from what I can read of it.. we will see if it is good for us. if not we will use what we can and then close it if not. It has its good points like the ADAC breakdown card.

I noticed the Camping and Caravan club have a similar card but they have a monthly non use fee. different withdrawal rules.. same end bank.. i.e Newcastle Building Soc.

Bob:thumb:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
There are no fees for cash withdrawals in Europe, £1.50 per transaction in UK but why would you use it in the UK?

I have never paid any fees for my Euro withdrawals, if I load 150 euros for example I withdraw 150 Euros - no costs.

You also have the facility to buy when the Euro is 'high' (a comparative term at the moment!) and then you still have exactly the same amount in credit when you withdraw it days or months late.

Works for me.

Mike

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi

I have one of the Caxton cards which I have used in France and Italy for camp sites, fuel, supermarkets and road tolls. The only time it would not work was on a few of the Italian motorway tolls, I am not sure why this was. Other than that works fine and just as it says in the blurb, no charges at all. :thumb:

Mike

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Mike

We have been wondering about getting the Santander card as we did not realise that Halifax was charging us every time we used their card in Spain. I checked out the Caxton card and have just completed the process, very easy indeed and much better than Santander.

Many thanks for the posts and information, very helpful indeed.

Ginny and Mike:thumb::thumb:

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
The cheapest way to spend abroad is with a credit card (fees free).

We use Santander Zero (fees free worldwide) and Nationwide (fees free europe). We then have a Caxton card to avoid carrying large amounts of cash - load when euro 'up' or by phone, text or online when away - your money can then stay in your own bank account until you need it. Free cash withdrawals at ATMs.

I would highly recommend reading Martin Lewis' Money Saving Expert for up to date advice.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

Caxton is also useful to avoid paying Ryanair extra fees!!!:thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004

Mike

I just read that you cannot use it at tolls, but you say you can???

I have read that you need to put at least 120 euro on it to get fuel something about a shadow, didnt know about that until I read that even happens in the UK with other cards, thats a first for me, so you cannot do a runner then if you have presented your card!!!!!

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I just read that you cannot use it at tolls, but you say you can???

I have read that you need to put at least 120 euro on it to get fuel something about a shadow, didnt know about that until I read that even happens in the UK with other cards, thats a first for me, so you cannot do a runner then if you have presented your card!!!!!

This is what it says in the FAQ's about the tolls and petrol stations.

4. Automated French Petrol Stations
Automated petrol stations on the continent (not just France) usually take a security deposit of €120 (Normal approval) when you first swipe your card. No money actually leaves your account at this point, but your available balance is reduced by €120.

A couple of days later (it can be up to 15 days), they will process a settlement increase for €120 which will raise your available balance by €120. Simultaneously, they will process a settlement decrease where they will remove funds from your card to cover the actual amount of fuel dispensed for example €45. In the period between the Normal approval and the settlement decrease your account will appear to have been debited by €120, but it has not.

Only when the Settlement decrease goes through has money actually left your account.

This procedure is not unique to Caxton FX cards or indeed any pre-paid card, all cards issued by any institution are treated in the same way whether they are debit, credit or prepaid cards.

5. Toll booths
Caxton FX currency cards require a merchant to seek authorisation before they provide the goods or services. The majority of European toll roads do not seek an authorisation, therefore you cannot use your Caxton FX currency card at most toll booths.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Thanks for taking the trouble to copy it out

Automated petrol stations on the continent (not just France) usually take a security deposit of €120 (Normal approval) when you first swipe your card. No money actually leaves your account at this point, but your available balance is reduced by €120.

A couple of days later (it can be up to 15 days), they will process a settlement increase for €120 which will raise your available balance by €120. Simultaneously, they will process a settlement decrease where they will remove funds from your card to cover the actual amount of fuel dispensed for example €45. In the period between the Normal approval and the settlement decrease your account will appear to have been debited by €120, but it has not.

Only when the Settlement decrease goes through has money actually left your account.

This procedure is not unique to Caxton FX cards or indeed any pre-paid card, all cards issued by any institution are treated in the same way whether they are debit, credit or prepaid cards.

5. Toll booths
Caxton FX currency cards require a merchant to seek authorisation before they provide the goods or services. The majority of European toll roads do not seek an authorisation, therefore you cannot use your Caxton FX currency card at most toll booths.

Thanks for taking the trouble of printing the FAQ on the subject of the French petrol stations.. I found the info useful on the Caxton site and still went ahead with ordering a card... Not a lot of point using a credit or debt card to pay for fuel and picking up charges to convert to UK £ .. Wonder if it will work paying ADAC .. As they send the paper work in Euros.

Bob:thumb:

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
I was about to apply for one but read that the fee for cash withdrawal non uk is 2.99% plus £2 for using the card so we might as well continue using our mastercard we have already, we have a santander zero card for purchases when we go abroad but thanks for the info:thumb:

Sorry that was supposed to have been Toffs-g quote !!!!!
NO CHARGES at all with Caxton we have used ours since 1/11/10 no problems anywhere Except on Autoroute in France where they do not work on any of the auto/manual booths
Al.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
The cheapest way to spend abroad is with a credit card (fees free).

We use Santander Zero (fees free worldwide) and Nationwide (fees free europe). We then have a Caxton card to avoid carrying large amounts of cash - load when euro 'up' or by phone, text or online when away - your money can then stay in your own bank account until you need it. Free cash withdrawals at ATMs.

I would highly recommend reading Martin Lewis' Money Saving Expert for up to date advice.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

Caxton is also useful to avoid paying Ryanair extra fees!!!:thumb:

Hi, We also thought that using our Nat West card in Europe was free in Europe, but I have just checked and find that they charge 2.75% for each transaction, so we wont be using that again!!

The Caxton card seems to be an excellent alternative, we received ours the other day and it is very easy to put money on the card.

Ginny and Mike

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Got 1.149 yesterday

I got 1.149 yesterday.. A whole point better than my favorite travel agents.. As previously said easy to load funds on

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
That was all very easy, apart from typing the full passport string in.

Thanks for the tip.

I know what you mean, took me 3 attempts to get all the chevrons right:Doh:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Yes I found it easy to get. Apart from entering the correct amount of chevron. First one I have used that needed that. And was pleased to see that there was no charge to used it as previously thought. Thanks for all the info folks.

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002

5. Toll booths
Re-reading this again and a few other points

Even if the Caxton Card has well in excess of 120 euro the French toll booths whether un/manned will not accept the card .
I have found also that at the very cheap (less than any Hypermarket) ELF garages the card was not accepted

In general a good alternative to the previously excellent Nationwide Flex Account with no other problems elswhere!!!!

Al.

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
I came through a manned toll booth a week ago last Sunday and the card worked fine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back