Caxton FX Mastercard - no SMS (1 Viewer)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Evening all.

So, after Caxton FX change their visa debit card to mastercard and, after it taking me what feels like a week on the phone to get a new card I now find that all the SMS services have been withdrawn and although 'it's our number one priority' said the young lady I spoke to, it has apparently been their number one priority since April with no sign of the SMS being reinstated.

She suggested using my mobile to ring them to credit the card but, hanging on for half an hour waiting to speak to a human will soon run my credit down and I won't always have internet access to load, check balances etc.

If you're using the new card how best do you manage it?

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
I had problems when in Spain a few weeks ago when it changed from Visa to MasterCard, but I eventually got it all sorted and do everything on the internet, just how I done it with Visa.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never had/used the SMS. I just remember what's on it and what I withdraw. When the numbers are similar I use a different card.

Deleted User
Evening all.

So, after Caxton FX change their visa debit card to mastercard and, after it taking me what feels like a week on the phone to get a new card I now find that all the SMS services have been withdrawn and although 'it's our number one priority' said the young lady I spoke to, it has apparently been their number one priority since April with no sign of the SMS being reinstated.

She suggested using my mobile to ring them to credit the card but, hanging on for half an hour waiting to speak to a human will soon run my credit down and I won't always have internet access to load, check balances etc.

If you're using the new card how best do you manage it?

Hi Jackie,

We use Caxton and use the web to load, check balances etc.

I understand that web access isn't always available, but using the iPhone app it's not too bad. If we think we're out of web contact we ensure that it's loaded before.

I think you can also set up an automatic trigger to load the card when it gets to a preset figure (we haven't tried that though)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have mytravelcash card but it seems they are not issueing any new cards , don't know what is going on

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's a nuisance as we always used the SMS facility to load, check the balance etc, rather than ring or use the internet. On our holiday earlier this year we tried to 'empty' the FairFX card by spending the balance in shops etc due to them now charging to use it at cash machines and also charging for SMS top-ups.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
You got me worried about that but in their Web page it says.
*Caxton FX does not charge a fee for overseas ATM withdrawals. When you use an ATM overseas, the ATM owner may charge you a fee. This is not Caxton FX charging you, it's the ATM owner.
I find Caxton easy to top up. I use their app but you do need Internet. I rarely topped up by sms when they had the facility.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Argh. I try to avoid the internet when I"m away. I used to spend some time once a week to upload the blog and that was it. I was rather hoping this time to avoid it completely. What a pain. I loved how easy the SMS was to check balance, load and transfer.

Apparently, because the new MasterCard crossing 12 different currencies, caxton are having some difficulties getting the load facility to work by SMS.

With only two and a half weeks to go till liftoff I'd be unlikely to get an alternative card.

Thanks to all for your replies. I will download the app and take a look at it and will investigate the automatic topups.

And Minxiegirl, no charge to use Caxton.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
SMS hadn't occurred to me since the change but I just tried online and my macbook auto logs me in all very quick & slick
I have Ukash travel money card too and they are normally a better rate BUT not just now, in fact their live rate system is not working at all just now due to upgrades.
So Caxton will give you €700 for £500 today 1.4014 (y)

EDIT
I use notes on my iPhone to keep track of my balance and spending along with my card details/passwords etc

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Fair fx money card , no probs checking and topping up so far rate hovering around 1.40 euro . Not sure about withdrawals at cash point charges though as I need some cash soon I think.

I have apost office card from last year as back up but won't use it unless needed coz I think their exchange rate is lower ?

Used we swop online to order cash before trip best rate I could find may get their card for next trip.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
And can you use SMS with that card autoswan?

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Not entirely sure what sms is but I can read messages off fx and check statement as I go ?

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Oops course it does ,brain fart :confused:
Yes I can top up by text it's loaded in my phone but I've not needed to use that yet coz always had wifi for laptop available and top up from that well before funds run to low.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
just phoned caxton and they assured me no problems with the visa card but they will issue a mastercard on renewal

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
The answer I got this morning at the end of my 55 minute phone call was that the visa cards only worked with single currency - i.e. euros for the Europe card and dollars for the global. Now they offer 12 different currencies and need to use a credit based card hence the change to MasterCard.

I'm going to take a look at the FairFX. Thanks for the suggestion.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The answer I got this morning at the end of my 55 minute phone call was that the visa cards only worked with single currency - i.e. euros for the Europe card and dollars for the global. Now they offer 12 different currencies and need to use a credit based card hence the change to MasterCard.

Yes it seems I can switch my Euros to Dollars in an instant. Could be handy for some.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Just seen that there's a charge of 1.50 for every withdrawal from ATM with FairFX. Caxton make no charge.

I'm having awful bother with this. It appears my new debit card has my house name in the address but both Caxton and FairFX will only issue a new card if the address is the same one that is brought up on the postcode search, Can't get to the bank until Friday and it takes 10 working days for Fair FX card to arrive. I've got exactly 10 working days until I leave.

It's going to be close.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
And Minxiegirl, no charge to use Caxton.

Yes I know, I was referring to FairFX above, not Caxton:

It's a nuisance as we always used the SMS facility to load, check the balance etc, rather than ring or use the internet. On our holiday earlier this year we tried to 'empty' the FairFX card by spending the balance in shops etc due to them now charging to use it at cash machines and also charging for SMS top-ups.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Last time I checked this was the situation with the 3 cards we have:

Caxton - top-up online only as no SMS (text) facility anymore; no charge for ATM withdrawals

FairFX - can top up via SMS (text) but costs 50p each time; charge £1.50 for each ATM withdrawal

Ukash - can top up on line only, no charge for withdrawing money from ATMs

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

Thanks, does that mean you can load different currencies on the same card ?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
tried my card and np got my cash out so visa works

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks, does that mean you can load different currencies on the same card ?

I think that was the idea behind the change from Visa to MasterCard and to get rid of the two card (Europe/Global) system. Now one card does the whole world. Much easier - unless like me you want to use SMS.

I'm going to apply for a FairFX card too and just hope it arrives before I leave. Somehow I WILL have access to my cash and anything that avoids having to pay extortionate bank charges has got to be good.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Somehow I WILL have access to my cash and anything that avoids having to pay extortionate bank charges has got to be good.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted.

You get this with the Caxton card.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
An alternative .... some people use a Halifax Clarity credit card as a pseudo cash card ... Halifax don't charge a fee/commission for withdrawals from ATMs however interest is charged on the cash withdrawn from that date so depending on when you take it out and when your bill is paid off you will incur some interest charges.

So how do they use it as a pseudo cash card? They previously transfer funds to the card to create a positive balance, ie so it is in credit already, they then draw cash out at ATMs up to this value and no interest is incurred as they are in effect not 'loaning' any money as it's their own pre-credited balance they're using! Obviously they need to be careful about keeping a check of their withdrawals ... as I understand it you are NOT supposed to do it, but I know SOME people do without a problem!

As for buying items with the card too, AFAIK this wouldn't affect the credited balance due to the card terms giving 'free' credit for purchases until the bill is due for payment.

http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/?gclid=COjh8P-ClccCFWXJtAodnnYEGQ

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You can tell by the card number what type of card it is.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Caxton are proving to be a total liability. I had a fraudulant transaction take place on April 28th. I have contacted them with 7 phone calls, 11 EMails and several texts. They couldn't give a dam and the issue is still going on now after over 3 months. Looking for a new card as Caxton are becoming to dodgy and I don't trust them. Probably go bust when they have accumulated a few million on our cards.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back