Cave Paintings Chauvet, France (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Back a while ago there was a thread about visiting the Lascaux caves. Or to be more accurate the replica cave.
Some years ago another similar cave was discovered and immediately sealed off so it did not suffer the early problems of Lascaux. They have been building a replica for us all to see.
I saw on the BBC this morning that it is now open.
They have spent a lot of millions on it and just like Lascaux I suspect that you will forget you are not in the real thing within seconds of entering. Even the temperature is matched.
I am a great fan of Lascaux and can't wait to go to Chauvet. They are aiming at 3-400,000 visitors a year. Cost of entry is €13 for an adult.
I note in their own site that they run a free shuttle bus to the site from the town and they encourage camping-cars as well as the more common visitors.
Here's a couple of sites about it: http://www.experienceardeche.com/page/the-chauvet-cave/56
This is the official site in English:
It is quite a way down south in the Ardeche by the way.
Just thought those members who might be in that area would be interested.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It was a fascinating few minutes on the BBC and a great way of dealing with tourism footfall problems

Bing

Free Member
Feb 20, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Love the sound of this x

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Think we will be quite near this on our travels next month so thanks for that. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back