Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Only two Mel. One pair in the garage for when I'm washing the car in cold weather :D
What about your stash of marigolds ... and your fancy ones too!

$_1.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can get really long rubber gloves but it might appear as if you're gonna 'inspect' the rear end of a cow!

$_57.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When we used to handle liquid nitrogen, we were instructed to use gloves that fitted snugly around the wrists rather than gauntlets as the gauntlet part could act is a funnel to potentially fill your gloves. Obviously propane is not as cold but I suspect the same would be true. Proper cryogenic gloves don't have the gauntlet part.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
As you can see from the video image that Andy's posted, you have to TOUCH the nozzle to twist it on/off so the guard nozzle would give no protection at all except for when filling, hence why gloves should always be worn and you shouldn't have bare arms either!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Gas is only released when releasing the trigger and the hand is inside the shield. Watch again
from 3:30

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Sorry @Snowbird to hear that you have been injured but thank you for giving us a wake up call - new pair of gloves to be added to our motorhome kit now.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Gas is only released when releasing the trigger and the hand is inside the shield. Watch again
from 3:30
That's if the equipment is working properly ... the twist part can still get cold too so better to be safe and wear gloves regardless!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Its only vapour for a fraction of a second and doesn't make the gun cold. Liquid gas is not freezing

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Its only vapour for a fraction of a second and doesn't make the gun cold. Liquid gas is not freezing
Try telling that to Snowbird!

If its not an issue Andy why have you splashed out on some expensive gloves? :whistle: Excuse to spend more money??? :rofl:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Snowbird was not using a UK pump and using an adapter. I do travel abroad Mel

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My goodness ... you mean you've had your rabies injections and got a pet passport!!!! :D

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hope your hand and arm soon heal, Dave, and that it's not too painful. :(

Thank you for telling us all about this. I always wear gloves when filling up with LPG but have only filled up in the UK. Will now be taking extra care with those tricky European adapters - when we finally get overseas. (y)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
It's the change of state which makes liquid lpg dangerious. In converting to a gas lpg sucks the heat out the skin in a fraction of a second, killing the skin. You get the same effect in reverse with steam, put you hand close to the spout of a boiling kettle and you get burnt, as the steam dumps its latent heat into you as it changes state to a liquid.

Ian

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hope it's a bit better today Dave, as it starts healing dab it with some pure lavender oil it should take some of the pain away and help with the healing. :Smile:

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Sorry to hear about your injury Snowbird , thanks for the heads up and i hope you get well soon.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hope it's a bit better today Dave, as it starts healing dab it with some pure lavender oil it should take some of the pain away and help with the healing. :Smile:
Trust me Carol, I don't think he'll be wanting to go anywhere near it with anything! Its horrendously painful and extremely sore and unfortunately, in my and hubby experience, gets worse before it gets better. I don't think he's exaggerating at all about the size of the blister.

I really, really hope it turns out okay but it won't be a quick heal unfortunately.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
image.jpg
Trust me Carol, I don't think he'll be wanting to go anywhere near it with anything! Its horrendously painful and extremely sore and unfortunately, in my and hubby experience, gets worse before it gets better. I don't think he's exaggerating at all about the size of the blister.

I really, really hope it turns out okay but it won't be a quick heal unfortunately.

Pure Essential Lavender Oil.

Mel, I am sure your husbands burns were horrendous, but I would not have said to @Snowbird about using Pure Essential Lavender Oil if I did not know what I was talking about, Dave has been to hospital had it treated but it will be still angry when it starts getting better Essential Lavender Oil will help (I always buy good quality.

In a past life I had a dry cleaning business using large industrial steam presses occasionally some of the girls working them would burn them selves we always had lavender available and a few minutes they could feel the relied of pain and within a day all the pain had gone. We had a lady who when taking a casserole out of the oven and spilt it all down her bare legs, burning herself very badly, she went to the Doctors had treatment but after a week still very painful, she came into the shop I told her to use lavender oil the next day she came in to say thank you it had made a huge difference,

Of course before posting I double checked that it was suitable for chemical burns and the answer is as long as they are not 4th degree burns it will have a benifit. I have also in the past been on a few aromatherapy courses. Anyone who is not sure have a google and see.

EDIT. I would recommend if you have not used it before to try a small patch on your skin if that shows no irritation then it will help you.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes.

His experience it different to yours, he was using a foreign pump.

British Pump, The One True Pump.
That's the one that takes two to lift it, has an engagement system that defies logic, and is attached to the pump by unbendable hose. It also manages to trap enough liquid between its, and the tanks, one way valves to produce a terrifying blast of gas when you (eventually) manage to fight the nozzle free of the vehicle:).

Now the French one is light, elegant in its engagement system, and traps just enough liquid to sound a satisfying chuff when disengaged from the vehicle. It is, however, French :D.

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
Terry @Terry you're a real gent offering to help Joy @movan. It is nice to have someone who is knowledgeable about things when as a solo lady you are doing something for the first time. Thanks again Terry for being our knight in shining armour (minus the horse).

Veronica

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
That's the one that takes two to lift it, has an engagement system that defies logic, and is attached to the pump by unbendable hose. It also manages to trap enough liquid between its, and the tanks, one way valves to produce a terrifying blast of gas when you (eventually) manage to fight the nozzle free of the vehicle:).

Now the French one is light, elegant in its engagement system, and traps just enough liquid to sound a satisfying chuff when disengaged from the vehicle. It is, however, French :D.
The system in Portugal as you say does defy logic. It requires both hands to disengage the gun. One on the trigger and one pressing the little button to re!ease the mechanism. If, as in my case there is any form of malfunction you have no choice but to wade in with both hands. In my opinion a serious design fault, but there is little I can do about it other than be more vigilant next time. I posted this thread as a warning to others to take great care when filling any LPG container, whether it be tank or refillable bottle. It's not just the fire risk you have to watch out for, that liquid can and will do you serious harm if it comes into contact with your skin. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone, regardless how many times they have filled up with LPG.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
View attachment 97685

Pure Essential Lavender Oil.

Mel, I am sure your husbands burns were horrendous, but I would not have said to @Snowbird about using Pure Essential Lavender Oil if I did not know what I was talking about, Dave has been to hospital had it treated but it will be still angry when it starts getting better Essential Lavender Oil will help (I always buy good quality.
I was talking about him using it sooner rather than later Carol - it will be very, very sore and painful - it is always a good idea to test any product on a small area first and wait a while to see if there is a reaction as some people can have problems with certain products, even natural ones, and for some with other medical conditions and/or pregnant it can be distinctly dangerous.

The below link to Yorkshire lavender give some info and interesting other uses ... for smelly feet for example!

Broken Link Removed

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I was talking about him using it sooner rather than later Carol - it will be very, very sore and painful - it is always a good idea to test any product on a small area first and wait a while to see if there is a reaction as some people can have problems with certain products, even natural ones, and for some with other medical conditions and/or pregnant it can be distinctly dangerous.

The below link to Yorkshire lavender give some info and interesting other uses ... for smelly feet for example!

Broken Link Removed

I agree which is why I put the edit in to make sure it's patch tested first. I have visited the Yorkshire Lavender Farm it is very interesting, The whole idea of using the oil is that it takes a lot of the very sore very painful feeling away, last summer my daughter fiancé knocked a candle over him he had boiling hot candle wax all over his hand, we plastered it with L Oil. within an hour the pain was easing and within a few days very little trace of the burn. I would not have posted if I had not known what I was talking about, and thought it would be of some help. You are right it has many properties but like all essential oils should be not used without finding out the uses of each individual oil. Used properly they are very successful in all sorts of ways.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
One oil to be careful of, for those with heart conditions or high blood pressure, is peppermint, as it can raise the heart rate and cause palpitations ... there are others to be careful of too so I suggest anyone thinking of using any oils at all should check their appropriate usage, and especially contraindications, carefully in case they should NOT be used alongside existing medical conditions.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I use a UK pump & an adaptor. You still have to unlock it using a twist with the left hand & if there is a fault allowing escape of liquid , as in Snowbird's case, then if no gloves you are in trouble.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun