Caution with LPG.

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Snowbird, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Just a quick caution when filling with LPG. I went to top up my truck on Tuesday and as I attached the gun to the filler, liquid gas gushed out all over my hand and arm. I thought bloody hell that's cold and carried on. I now have serious frost burns all over the back of my hand and up my arm requiring hospital treatment on the EHIC. Thankfully we are still in the EU so no problems here in Portugal. Many thanks to JJsuperstar for his errand of mercy yesterday fetching medication. Take this as a warning and use gloves and take great care when filling any gas bottles or tanks. I am not new to filling these things and have been doing it for years, maybe it was a momentarily lack of concentration that caused the malfunction or a technical problem, I don't know,but will be treating the filling of gas with more respect in future.

• Informative Informative x 21
    • Useful Useful x 11
    • Thanks Thanks x 9
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Hope wound heal......Have you tugged the fiver down to Portugal :)

3. Snowbird

Yes, but am not so sure I can tug it back just yet. Am more than a little worried about this burn.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns Funster

Oooooh sounds nasty thanks for the warning. Get better soon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snowbird

Without exaggeration I have a blister the size of a tennis ball on the back of my hand, fingers black and blistering all up the back of my arm. Never take the filling of LPG for granted. It's dangerous stuff and will hurt you immensely without warning.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    There was a thread on here or the other forum recently about the possibility of LPG pooling after a spill/leak.

A poster with some technical knowledge stated that LPG would vapourise almost instantaneously, apparently not instantaneous enough.

Hope your burns heal quickly and do not cause too much disruption to your plans.

I have no experience of filling LPG bottles or tanks but this is a warning for all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hi Dave, sorry you hurt and glad it not even more serious.

I am a worrier.. I will be filling my LPG gas for the first time this weekend so already nervous about it.. Can you just clarify .. was it as you pushed the nozzle from the tank into your van or as you pull the lever back that the problem happens. This might be a daft question, as until I try it I'm not too sure how it works. Thank you.

8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ooooo ... my sympathy Snowbird! I know how painful it can be and so does hubby certainly does as he had similar blistering and swelling all over his feet and ankles/lower legs (from sunburn though not gas), sounds like you've got a touch of frostbite too. If you're not happy with it for any reason, get it looked at again, as much as necessary, no point in suffering more than you have to but it will take a long while to heal up sufficiently so you can drive again I'm afraid - 2 weeks at least I would say. If you find you get a lot of 'weeping' I can honestly say that ladies disposable towels (you know what I mean!) are very good at absorbing it, and cushion too, much better than just a dressing.

We carry a pair of 'rigger gloves' for this very purpose, even if the filler has a guard on it we still use them.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

In the UK the gun has a shield to protect your hand but gas shouldn't be coming out without the trigger being pulled or the pump started. Sounds like faulty equipment to me

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Minxy Girl

Agree Andy ref faulty equipment, we have, however, found some UK ones don't have the shield, hence the carrying, and using, of gloves.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Minxy Girl

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
  12. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

The only problem I found when filling my RV was when using the threaded adapters in Spain , Portugal etc when removing the adapter there was a release of gas from behind and when unscrewing by hand your hand is close to to the gas.
    The only way I overcame that was to slightly unscrew the adapter to release pressure slowly.
    I did get the odd icy jet but not enough to hurt.

In the UK no adapters are needed and your hands stay on the gun when removing so far less risk.

@Snowbird hope your hand heals soon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Sorry to hear of your mishap Dave Scary when someone as seasoned as you gets caught out.:eek:
    Thanks Dave I'll take it as a timely warning and as Minxy suggests get some gloves just for that purpose in the gas locker
    I also consider myself well seasoned BUT never too old to learn(y)
    Geo

• Like Like x 5
  14. Snowbird

I was using the Portuguese cup type adapter, screwed into my bayonet. As I attached the gun it released gas from my tank but the gun was still attached to the cup. I tried to release the trigger but nothing happened. I then noticed a little brass button on the side of the gun that had to be pressed to release the gun. At this point there was LPG all over the place and I had no choice but put my hands into it to release the button. Am not saying gloves would have stopped the burn,but it would have saved a lot of it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Dave don't be a whimp and get the blister busted :D:LOL:No doubt thats the wrong advice ;)Hope you are well soon -Do you stick cold burns in hot water as opposed to hot in cold :)I have found myself over the yrs holding the rubber hose just off the nozzle for the very same reason-Get well soon mate (y)
    Joy give me a call or if there is a gas station at Chester leave filling your gas and I will go to the station and show you how -it's a little daunting first time ;):)
    terry

• Like Like x 5
  16. Techno

Could it be that your tank non return valve is fubar'd ?

• Like Like x 3
  17. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

A nasty accident. I'm not sure how gas can escape from the tank on ours as there is a one way valve which is only opened by the pressure of the gas in the filling hose. But we did have problems with it last year when it wouldn't let any gas in, so they can fail.

18. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

There is little risk in the UK with the bayonet fitting as your hands are on the gun and only a relatively small amount of gas escape , but gloves will eliminate injury.

A completely different case when using adapters in Europe, far more care is needed as there is liquid trapped behind the adapter.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Techno

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Snowbird

It all happened so quickly am not sure how,but I think there must have been pressure in the gun that caused my none return valve to release. This then sent the gas back from the tank. Or of course there could have been a fault on the gun. Or more likely an over confident operator. Either way I will be carrying my welding gauntlets in future.

• Like Like x 4