Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I lost my lovely lad of a cat, about 3 yrs ago now and have resisted the urge to have another, now we are full timing and couldn't see any way of having a cat. I thought about a dog but I've turned into a cat person.
Since full timing I've met three people that take their cat every where with them, not shut in even on site, just open the door and let them go, as one women said they know where the food is!! You feed and love them they will always come home.
Don't know if I'm that brave tho just to let a cat out wily-nily, mind you they have been big self confident cats!

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We used to take cats with us prior to having dogs. We found that Burmese or Russian Blues took most easily to it.

Burmese we found if started as kittens took easily to a harness and lead, so if taken for a walk twice a day were no problem.

Russian Blues not so easy to walk but are small cats, and live quite happily indoors, they did not even bother to go far into the garden at home.

We found that with a regularly emptied tray neither was a problem.
Personally would not have let out while away, have heard of a few that got spooked and vanished.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
We have been taking our cat with us for the past 5 years, he was a stray when we got him and the first few times he did a runner but he has settled fine now and even tells us when he wants out and sit's and waits the lead being put on, he also wanders off on his own but always comes back. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've read quite a lot on American RV sites about people travelling with cats.
I travel from France to England, on up to Scotland and back again, albeit in a people carrier, not yet a motorhome :Sad: I do think cats are safer in a carrier when on the move, you never know what will spook them, and the last thing you want is a cat leaping from an open window--remember in Europe you have to stop at tolls on m/ways.
Mine all do the 12 hour trip to England fine.

OP
OP
M

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If one had a kitten how on earth do you stop it scratching the upholstery?
I suppose lots of selotape on upholstery and a water spray, any other ideas?

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Doug knows where you can get some cats from:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We always gave them a sisal covered scratching post, and encouraged it's use.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Manda, last year I was camped up next to a motorhome with two Burmese cats. They were beautiful and the lady said that having two made them easier to train as they grew up. It was lovely to see them outside the van sitting in the sunshine, and their owners took them for regular walks on leads - just as dogs - through the woods. (Just tried to find my photos of them but couldn't sorry).

Hope you find the right companion for you. Joy x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back