CAT/DPF Removal - will be a MOT failure!

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Minxy Girl, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Just in case anyone isn't aware, there will shortly be a change in the MOT rules wef 16/2/14 which means that if a vehicle was originally fitted with a CAT and/or DPF which has been removed and replaced with a pipe (or possibly a 'mock' one) it will FAIL!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/275427/mot-special-notice-1-2014.pdf

So if you've done this and you have a MOT coming up you'd better get one refitted sharpish! :Eeek:

2. UK Pete

UK Pete Read Only Funster

OH Sh--t, i gutted both the cats on one of my motorbikes, i hope the mot peole do not pay to much attention
    pete

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

agreed, but at the moment its only a 'present' check.

Nothing is being tested other than the fact its there if it should be.

You could, if you really want rid, simply knock the crap out the middle and in effect turn it into a straight through pipe.

If and when the rules change and the functionality is also checked you'll need deep pockets for a replacement to pass the mot.

It is also an offence to remove a DPF.

It is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. Removal of a DPF will almost invariably contravene these requirements, making the vehicle illegal for road use. The potential penalties for failing to comply with Regulation 61a are fines of up to £1,000 for a car or £2,500 for a light goods vehicle.

4. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Cats I do not even have baffles in my bike:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  5. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I don't have any baffles on my bike either..... Should not be a problem because the very shiny pedals and mudguards will blind the tester anyway :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  6. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

we have some local strays if anyone needs a spare cat

• Like Like x 1
  7. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Although the MOT rules have changed so far no one has advised or been able to advise how far back this rule will reach - on some vehicles it was an optional extra to have a cat on some it was only the top end spec that had a cat. To be able to identify which 'older' vehicles this applies to the MOT station will have to be able to down load the actual build spec for that vehicle. Which mean DVSA will have to have it on their system.

I assume therefore that this rule can only be applied from possibly 2007 when I believe it became compulsory.

Anyone have any info on this ??

8. spitfire

spitfire Funster

No problem ! Move to France , no MOT for motorbikes :Rofl1: at least not yet but they are talking about it .