Cat Converter stolen from my Auto Trail Tracker RS (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would say those cables would take seconds with a disc cutter

The trick is to seriously restrict access to the chain or cable and make it time consuming to remove. If the bolt croppers/ grinder, can't get to it, it can't cut it.
Using a grinder on the casing will only work if you either cut the thing in half or lever the casing open wide enough to be able to cut the pipe either side of the cat and pull it out
All of this takes time and noise. A thief would rather try and steal a naked cat than one with any sort of security device on it.
The longer they spend trying to remove it, the more chance they take on failing or getting caught.
It's less conspicuous to carry around a pipe cutter than a diamond tipped ( cordless) angle grinder and 3 foot long bolt croppers.
Sure, if they really want it they will get it. But why spend 30 minutes getting one off if down the road they can steal one in 3 minutes or less
Protecting your property is all about reducing the ease of which it can be stolen.
Any deterrent is better than none.
Allan

PHD

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Cranwell, Sleaford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We've had torrential rain here for the last couple of days and I noticed water pooling on top of the MH; so I lifted the back end with leveling ramps to help it drain. This thread did make me think.

Now it looks like an advert for a second hand CatC.:Blush:

If it's gone tomorrow I'll put posters up: "Lost Cat",:tears: reward for safe return.

OP
OP
H

HappyCamper26

Free Member
May 12, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker RS
Exp
MH Newbie
Thanks for all the replies.

I bought direct from Catloc as I got the telephone number from the Caravan Club - 08455 193 902.

I did post the same thing on Motorhome facts - well spotted.

Am swaying toward the other site as less abuse - :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That would be a big mistake if you are going to join either. :thumb:
This forum is run by someone who cares :Cool:

BTW please don't take it to heart that people are sceptical as it's not often that a members first post is basically an advert. Like has been said it is usual for introductions and pleasantries first.

Many members here also subscribe there but that is changing

Last edited:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
cat alarm

photo of cat alarm system in line relay connected to car/van alarm when disconected [no earth] alarm goes off,plate is added security [the b-st-rds may cut htire fingers of as points are faced backwards,hope this helps,some thing geo could do if in doubt you could see mine:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• cat 457.jpg
    cat 457.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 41
  • cat 458.jpg
    cat 458.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 41
  • cat 459.jpg
    cat 459.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 36

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Thank the Good Lord Bloo*y Old Hymer, (May his name be shouted from the forecourt), that I don't have one of these very expensive, stealable, overrated, fire starting, unnecessary bits of useless trash! :thumb:
Neither do I have a computerised system that is supposed to do everything with your engine except pay for it's fuel.
And, I was STUPID enough to be considering buying something built this century! :Doh:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

I bought direct from Catloc as I got the telephone number from the Caravan Club - 08455 193 902.

Am swaying toward the other site as less abuse - :RollEyes:

ABUSE???Pay your tenner before you can be abused!! Tut Tut.

There is a VERY serious side to this forum, and a very helpful side. You dipped your toe in without first introducing yourself, but hey, never mind.
Personally, I have never before been a member of a site which is so friendly and helpful. Your choice, my child!! :winky::winky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thank the Good Lord Bloo*y Old Hymer, (May his name be shouted from the forecourt), that I don't have one of these very expensive, stealable, overrated, fire starting, unnecessary bits of useless trash! :thumb:
Neither do I have a computerised system that is supposed to do everything with your engine except pay for it's fuel.
And, I was STUPID enough to be considering buying something built this century! :Doh:

I wouldnt get too indifferent to the plights of others
there nicking Starting Handles too you know:Doh:

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
I am a paid up member of Two Model Aero Clubs.
I visit several different restaurants and pubs in my area.
Contribute to several charities and am a paid up member of Several Motorhome sites.
To date I have always read with interest peoples comments, used the forums as useful sources of information and on occasion contributed, I think I have acted impartially.

I didn't realise that Motorhome Fun was exclusive and restricted membership.
Having been a member of MHF for several years with no complaints I may decide not too Rejoin Motorhome fun next year.
I have no interest in petty comments or squabbles, thank you.

simbadog

Free Member
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Contribute to several charities and am a paid up member of Several Motorhome sites.
To date I have always read with interest peoples comments, used the forums as useful sources of information and on occasion contributed, I think I have acted impartially.

Having been a member of MHF for several years with no complaints I may decide not too Rejoin Motorhome fun next year.

Why post in this thread then? :whistle:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years

Have I missed something? Has this come up on the wrong thread?

Is this not the right thread for an argument?:Angry: :winky:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes it is..........No it isn't!!! ::bigsmile:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y"]Argument Clinic - YouTube[/ame]

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp

[HI]Am swaying toward the other site as less abuse -[/HI] :RollEyes:

:ROFLMAO: you are new around there arent you:ROFLMAO:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Now now ladies put the handbags away:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As has been clearly explained to the OP, first posts advertising or slagging off generally implies that its a troll starting something so hence the comments.

Now if the OP were to Link Removed and become a full Funster as such, no comment would be made now or in the future.

By the way, I do have Cat Kits and we fit them but all our new vans on the forecourt have their cats REMOVED, got fed up wth having them stolen and the more defence you put on the scroats just cut through the pipes and take the lot which is a hell of a lot more expensive than a cat.

Peter

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp

[HI]I didn't realise that Motorhome Fun was exclusive and restricted membership.
[/HI]Having been a member of MHF for several years with no complaints I may decide not too Rejoin Motorhome fun next year.

can't be that exclusive ........... let me join:winky:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Now now ladies put the handbags away:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As has been clearly explained to the OP, first posts advertising or slagging off generally implies that its a troll starting something so hence the comments.

Now if the OP were to Link Removed and become a full Funster as such, no comment would be made now or in the future.

By the way, I do have Cat Kits and we fit them but all our new vans on the forecourt have their cats REMOVED, got fed up wth having them stolen and the more defence you put on [HI]the scroats just cut through the pipes and take the lot which is a hell of a lot more expensive than a cat.[/HI]

Peter

Haven't you put forward the point that protecting cats (on vehicles:Smile:) is a waste of time and money?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

perhaps you are misunderstanding what has been said?
if you were on this forum as many hours as some of the members you would see that we attract a regular stream of advertising spam and rubbish posted by people with no intention of becoming a member. it is only good manners to say hello before launching into a tirade against a trader or promoting some new miracle product. thats why only 5 free posts are allowed to new members before they subscribe

its all in the rules you agreed to when joining the site and confirmed membership. as for an exclusive club, well yes it is for ALL genuine members who abide by the rules.

spitting a dummy and saying you dont like the way the site is run and may not continue your membership is of course your prerogative. maybe think first though that the written word rarely shows the emotion or intent of the poster. it is merely your interpretation, and if like the rest of us you are human, then occasionally you will get it wrong

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Catloc that said - "yes we do have [HI]some[/HI] devices that use cables, but our specific product for the Fiat Ducato uses high security chain"

it appears the op doesnt know his cable from his chain.

This is the only one shown on the website.....no mention of a chain version.

And no contact address....only a none area 0845 number

Broken Link Removed

See here John: Broken Link Removed

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'm thinking if the MOT now requires one to be fitted then how is this proven? a visual certainly wont. I'll bet there are loads out there cleverly doctored so its an empty can :roflmto:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I'm thinking if the MOT now requires one to be fitted then how is this proven? a visual certainly wont. I'll bet there are loads out there cleverly doctored so its an empty can :roflmto:

You can smell the difference and besides mot testers have a little hammer and a doctored cat sounds different when tapped with it.

simbadog

Free Member
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
You can smell the difference and besides mot testers have a little hammer and a doctored cat sounds different when tapped with it.

Any mot tester that hits a cat with a hammer deserves to lose his or her job! :Sad:

They should also be reported to the RSPCA :RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Interesting the truth is stranger than fiction

1. The Cats casing as can the Dpfs be empty and it will still pass.:thumb:
However a note will be made on the System and MoT certificate as an advisory Suspect cat or Dpf Tampered with or Missing):Doh:

2 .If I did tap your cat with my little plastic hammer I would be dismissed without doubt:Eeek:
It's name and purpose are clearly defined as a Corrosion Assessment tool, not a hammer or prodding device its use is strictly controlled and seriously monitored by DVSA.
Any tester who starts a test with it in his hand wants and will get seriously looked at :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
See here John: Broken Link Removed

thanks Ian.

I entered catloc into google and went to the site selling nothing but the one in my post....and i mean nothing else....so assumed (wrongly) that was the catloc website.

Still cant fathom why a company would only sell one product, the universal cabled version, on their website if they didnt make it in the first place.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Interesting the truth is stranger than fiction

1. The Cats casing as can the Dpfs be empty and it will still pass.:thumb:
However a note will be made on the System and MoT certificate as an advisory Suspect cat or Dpf Tampered with or Missing):Doh:

2 .If I did tap your cat with my little plastic hammer I would be dismissed without doubt:Eeek:
It's name and purpose are[HI] clearly defined as a Corrosion Assessment tool[/HI], not a hammer or prodding device its use is strictly controlled and seriously monitored by DVSA.
Any tester who starts a test with it in his hand wants and will get seriously looked at :winky:

and the tester was assesing the depth of the visible corrosion on the cat can. :ROFLMAO:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's still not worth having unless your van is left in a vulnerable place and I think anyone tooled up would still get round it. My 18 volt Makita cutter would pi** through it :roflmto:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Also the Op's post got 12 replies on the otherside and equal scepticism of intent compared to 58 useful responses here
I think we have a winner !! :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back