Cat C and Cat D insurance write offs (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
As most of you will be aware there are plenty of cat C and cat D motorhomes available.
For example I came across a Hymer the other week which apparently should have been 44k but as it was a cat D minimal bodywork damage apparently now fixed. The garage was selling it for 37k. Bargain you may think? Well not even close.
Although cat D is uneconomic repairs and generally speaking tend to be easy and safe to fix. Cat C is similar however will need a fresh mot, certified vehicle check by DVSA and identification check.
Anyhow coming to my point
I am a commercial insurance broker and although I don't handle claims I spoke to my claims manager today regarding cat C and cat D write off in particular values.
A client asked meto advice as was looking to purchase a cat C vehicle, so wanted to check it out and be 100% certain before I responded.
Okay so here's the crooks of it.
No matter how much you pay for a cat C or Cat D vehicle in the event of a claim it is not taken into consideration.
The value of a cat D normally starts at 75% of market value and goes lower and a cat C starts at a whoping 50% of market value.
Therefore going back to my example above MV 44K SV 37K the correct SV IMHO should be sub 33K
End of the day these vehicles sell and I'd always recommend a full engineers report, however I hope this information proves useful.

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
No matter how much you pay for a cat C or Cat D vehicle in the event of a claim it is not taken into consideration.
The value of a cat D normally starts at 25% of market value and goes lower and a cat C starts at a whoping 50%

Should that read Cat D starts at 75% of value and Cat C is 50%

I thought Cat D were LESS damaged ?

Oh! and I liked the phrase,"Okay so here's the crooks of it.
This is not criticism of the spelling. I just thought the word was so apt.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Should that read Cat D starts at 75% of value and Cat C is 50%

I thought Cat D were LESS damaged ?

Oh! and I liked the phrase,"Okay so here's the crooks of it.
This is not criticism of the spelling. I just thought the word was so apt.
Yes my bad should have been 75% not 25% I have amended.
Yup not too good at spelling at times but I see what you mean could not have worded it better myself if I had tried. :) lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back