Cat 1 alarm needed by next Wednesday (1 Viewer)

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Help please

Due to my imminent retirement I am moving my vehicle insurance off my company fleet policy to private policy, trouble is MH which has been quite happily insured with Aviva on a fleet policy, needs a Cat 1 alarm to be insured on its own policy, still with Aviva :doh:

If no alarm fitted I will have zero cover for theft from next Wednesday

So, what alarm and where to get one fitted ideally close to Derbyshire by next week? :)

Good news is, premium is dropping from £1159 on fleet to £616, never really looked at prices up to now, this retirement is going to save me a fortune :D
Hi David
When I bought my MH from Glossop I had one fitted by a guy in Glossop, I can't think of his Address at the mo but it was in the centre, if thats anywhere near you.Pete

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We got an Outsmart the Thief alarm and tracker [http://www.606060.com/motorhome-tracker--alarm-system-1-p.asp] fitted by the dealer, Don Amott in Hilton nr Derby, so it was installed when we collected the motorhome.

We've set it off accidentally two or three times and had a call to the registered mobile within about 20 seconds of activation. Whilst not Tatcham approved it is accepted by a number of insurers, we're with The Caravan Club. Believe they also do a Tatcham approved alarm only option [http://www.606060.com/motorhome-security-alarm-3-p.asp].

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David, ours insured for 55k (hymer S class). Try via a broker

Dick

Thanks Dick, best price we have is using AIB forum sponsor, I think they are a broker

Bizzarely we cant get a quote going directly to Aviva

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Had a fault om my MH alarm, kept going off for no apparent reason - Cobra 3198. Rang Automate and Chris came to the house, quickly located the problem - a severed wire. Changed three alarm door contacts for beefier replacements and on his way in two hours - Well pleased with their service and price.

In the past, they have sorted a few annoying hard to find faults for me and we have always been pleased with their service and prices.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I was struggling to find anybody who could do it this year let alone by last Wednesday

One of those I called wanted to look first, so came over and declared it a non starter, as in he couldn't easily see a Cat 1 alarm being fitted without serious dismantling of the inside, something he was not prepared to get involved with

The big issue was needing to connect into the right circuits, something with bus in the name, we then have an odd spec / build. A German van built with offside hab door but also offside cab door, no nearside passenger cab door, then Hymer have built cupboards in the door space over and round the gas locker behind which are all the wiring looms needed to connect to

Or so he says, and he was my expert on the day, he was walking away from work so he was the only one losing

So I relayed this tale to my proposed insurers, through AIB as brokers, who have been very helpful by the way. They came back to say they accepted that but then wanted a Tracker instead, which they wouldn't accept before.

So looking at those options now, seems there are a few variants, need to find out if Aviva mean a Tracker by name or one of the many similar alternatives now available, although they all seem to be the same price

I then rang Tracker on the off chance that it already had one fitted, it had of sorts, a product made by Tracker that allows the owner of the vehicle to check the location himself on line, not a full blown auto activate system

I now have 2 options from Tracker, reactivate what is fitted if that is acceptable to Aviva, or they have offered a reduced price full blown Tracker effectively for the same price as the alternatives on the market

We currently have no insurance for theft, but where it is kept it would virtually impossible to get out, it is hard enough with the keys and knowledge of our space available

So Christmas to make final decision, but probably will go for full Tracker system, for £150 fitted plus £150 / year or £300 for three years for monitoring

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I was struggling to find anybody who could do it this year let alone by last Wednesday

One of those I called wanted to look first, so came over and declared it a non starter, as in he couldn't easily see a Cat 1 alarm being fitted without serious dismantling of the inside, something he was not prepared to get involved with

The big issue was needing to connect into the right circuits, something with bus in the name, we then have an odd spec / build. A German van built with offside hab door but also offside cab door, no nearside passenger cab door, then Hymer have built cupboards in the door space over and round the gas locker behind which are all the wiring looms needed to connect to

Or so he says, and he was my expert on the day, he was walking away from work so he was the only one losing

So I relayed this tale to my proposed insurers, through AIB as brokers, who have been very helpful by the way. They came back to say they accepted that but then wanted a Tracker instead, which they wouldn't accept before.

So it seems that my cynicism was well founded - insurance companies do make it up as they go along?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back