Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
hi guys off to cassino abbey in italy leaving on the 27th march has any one been there before.then dropping down to sorrentto (met the wife there 20 yrs ago dropping her back off:roflmto:) there is an acsi campsite in sorrentto has any body been there? any info on cassino would be appreciated cheers.

OP
OP
S

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
cassino

ok thanks brian can u drive up to the abbey with mh?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
ok thanks brian can u drive up to the abbey with mh?

Monte Cassino ?

Don't know. I did spot it from the main road and thought what a hell hole it must have been to attack it, I had an uncle who got a medal for trying.

It says there is a big car park and assuming they get coach trips and deliver vans you've got to be in with a chance, though it will be a bit exciting.

Link Removed

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bat...753418&hnear=Battle+of+Monte+Cassino&t=m&z=15

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
monte cassino

yeah it must of been hard attacking it.i was in 2 para .as for driving i drive in europe all the time in the truck so if a bus casn get up there ill get up in the motorhome.

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Monte Cassino

My dad who is 98 tomorrow was there, after Alamein he had been trained in Palestine to work with mules to carry field telephone cable reels up the hill, first night they moved up the Germans dropped a shell in amongst them (the mules that is) and killed every one of them, meaning he and his mates were going to have to hump the cables on their backs, he says that they ate well that night though - makes you think about the horse meat scandal.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
hi guys off to cassino abbey in italy leaving on the 27th march has any one been there before.then dropping down to sorrentto (met the wife there 20 yrs ago dropping her back off:roflmto:) there is an acsi campsite in sorrentto has any body been there? any info on cassino would be appreciated cheers.

Did you get up to Montecassino Ok in the MH? :thumb:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
:thumb:shame Ok thanks for the heads up

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Don't think you will get an answer.

Shuggy is no longer with us on Fun

JJ :Cool:

ooo er......Shuggy said the 'f' word a lot....

actually I found this guy & his video http://www.motorhome365.com/forum/threads/italy.1412/

don't watch the video unless you want to see an anorak armchair general (like me) having a handbag fight with a dead WWII armchair general on how far you should be from the battle front :ROFLMAO:

for anybody wanting to know....he parked his MH in the Monte Cassino car park

'Next to the Polish military cemetery at Monte Cassino there is a car park where I left my van for nearly one week. Water is available from a fountain opposite the (paid) car park for Monte Cassino abbey. There is tremendous walking in the hills above and around Monte Cassino which were also the battlefields of 1944. The below film, although an analysis of the battle of Monte Cassino does actually show the car park. The problem is that any food needs to be bought in the town of Cassino which may seem close on the map but is in fact 8km away along the winding road. So make sure you stock up on food before going there.':thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back