Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Did you wash it away with your grey water :reel:

::bigsmile:No neither did I go tramping down the nettles to throw some leaves over it :winky:Yrs gone by I have had to wipe my arse on grass (new green stuff is best folded over:winky:)dandelion leaves and large dock leafs but these are no god because your finger goes through them ::bigsmile:You soft southerners don't know nothing outside the city ::bigsmile:
Daily mirror torn up and threaded onto string for loo paper in the toilet across the yard brings it all back :winky:nothing like a good S--t thread :Smile:
Wheres Pusser? is he still a member? I bet he could write a few good stories on this ::bigsmile:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Wheres Pusser? is he still a member? I bet he could write a few good stories on this ::bigsmile:
terry

Haven't seen him on for a while.. Last Activity: 20-08-2011

hasn't renewed his subs..

I'm almost sure I heard he was giving up motorhoming due to ill health..

miss his input .. :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Earth closets were quite normal on hill farms when I was a girl. A hole in the ground with a seat on a stand over it. Every time you went you shoveled a spadeful of earth over the doings and when it was almost full Dad would fill the rest up with earth dug from the new hole.

There was usually a wonderful crop of nettles the following year.

On old habitation sites the "ty bach" or "nettie" would be be in quite an elevated position!

In 1982 we went to look at a place near Blanchland that had a triple seater...... nice house but needed too much work to make it viable for us to take on.

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
So glad someone has brought up this important subject again:winky:. I know this has been discussed many times before but never made a note of it and have now forgotten so these are my questions:-
* Are bio tabs harmful to septic tanks?
* How many tabs do you use?
* Do you put them in the top flushing tank/ bottom reservoir/ both?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
For those who really want to know.....

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Okay.

I don't want this getting out and goIng viral so keep it to yourselves.

This is real world knowledge you are getting here from an offsite fulltimer of over 25 years.

Find a top quality suitcase maker.

Have them make one of those top quality, aluminium sided suitcases on wheels to the exact dimensions of your cassette.

Stick First Class and Priority Lounge airline stickers on the outside of it.

When the need arises, change into your best suit, load the cassette into the suitcase, park around the corner of the poshest hotel you can find, stride through the reception area and up to the desk as if you own the place, ask if you may use the loo before checking in and then do so!

Sorted.

Obviously this is for when you are in built up areas.

If you are in a rural area just tip your cassette in some pensioners' front garden after 7pm when they will have gone to bed.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Okay.

I don't want this getting out and goIng viral so keep it to yourselves.

This is real world knowledge you are getting here from an offsite fulltimer of over 25 years.

Find a top quality suitcase maker.

Have them make one of those top quality, aluminium sided suitcases on wheels to the exact dimensions of your cassette.

Stick First Class and Priority Lounge airline stickers on the outside of it.

When the need arises change into your best suit, load the cassette into the suitcase, park around the corner of the poshest hotel you can find, stride through the reception area and up to the desk as if you own the place, ask if you may use the loo before checking in and then do so!

Sorted.

Obviously this is for when you are in built up areas

I knew you would not resist this thread JJ ::bigsmile:
terry

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
You've forgotten that 'wonderfull :Eeek: ' material called IZAL..........:moon: and the resulting OHMYGAWD...........when 'paper' and botty interfaced. !!!!!!!

Only good thing was that if there wasn't enough for the next person.............it could be reused !!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just ask the French motorhomers they are experts at dumping their cassettes ..........:Eeek:

Or in the words of the song ....

sling it here sling it there , if your standing bye then you will all get a share :ROFLMAO:

Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
cassette

ha weekdays!....

Mind you although newbies, we have dribbled in galloway forest! :RollEyes:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Of course the serious, if rather boring, answer to the motorhomers' cassette emptying is a supermarket's own brand, biological washing liquid.

Cheap as chips... its enzymes gobble up the "you know what"... acceptable aroma... and you can empty it down any loo, mains or septic or Elsan point harmlessly.

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Of course the serious, if rather boring, answer to the motorhomers' cassette emptying is a supermarket's own brand, biological washing liquid.

Cheap as chips... its enzymes gobble up the "you know what"... acceptable aroma... and you can empty it down any loo, mains or septic or Elsan point harmlessly.

How much do you use and where do you put it?

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Leaving all the cr*p replies aside I note some carry a spare cassette which okay may give you a few extra days BUT what do you do with the full cassette until you can empty it

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
How much do you use and where do you put it?

I just pour a capful or two into loo bowl and it goes into the cassette when you flush. (Only once per cassette full... not every time you use the loo!)

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
In my younger days I used to use public toilets a lot. In fact it became something of a sport to see how fast I could get in, dump, rinse twice and get back to the van. Boring exercise without a bit of competitive spirit don't yer see. I even had a special hose to enable me to rinse a cassette from an ordinary sink. I used to get my fresh water from public park taps just for fun. Even carried adaptors for when taps had no heads (because bastards like me used to nick the water). I carry two cassettes and a spade but I've only ever used the spade to dig out of soft sand. Councils provide toilets, but if they don't get used they get closed down. So it's our duty to help keep them open.

Happy days now gone. Mrs Movinon (the bear who must be obeyed) nowadays decrees that a laundry must be used occasionally. As laundromats tend to be in urban areas with awkward parking its a CP for us at least once a week where all necessary services are provided to last us for the week. It's not the same but it keeps her happy.

Aug 27, 2013
aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Roller Team, Ford.
Exp
newbie to fulltiming
bio degradable washing up liquid ?

I use the common blue stuff for the toilet cassette. Aqua chem I think its called. Am I right in thinking that Bio degradable squeezy does the same job ? If so, that would save me a fortune as I am full timing. Surely it would be a bit bubbly ? :beer:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use the common blue stuff for the toilet cassette. Aqua chem I think its called. Am I right in thinking that Bio degradable squeezy does the same job ? If so, that would save me a fortune as I am full timing. Surely it would be a bit bubbly ? :beer:

Bio washing liquid does it for us. Tesco's normally but other brands are available, as they say. One capful in the bowl or two for an even sweeter smell when emptying the thing. Ours is a SOG bog but I guess it would work for non-SOGs. You could but try.

I don't know what effect it has on septic tanks but I can't see it being harmful. We have such a tank at home and it still seems to be working despite having had a few cassettes emptied into it over the past year or so.

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

I gave up using the blue stuff a long, long time ago.

I was told that stuff only masked the aroma rather than "breaking the stuff down" so to speak.

I also believe it contains formaldehyde which is horrid stuff and is very bad for septic tanks and sewage works as it stops the enzyme thingies from working their magic.

So... the biological washing liquid (not washing up liquid) does a better job, costs far, far less and is much, much better for the environment.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

Not washing up liquid but laundry liquid. Since reading the tip on here we use Aldi or Lidl bio laundry liquid and wish we'd known much earlier as it makes the job so much less unpleasant.

I open the blade of the loo and use a capful of liquid and flush to prime the cassette just before it is used for the first time during a trip and if I can smell an odour during the trip I will add another capful - direct into the cassette as before and rinsed in. We tend to use site / public loos as much as possible so have never had a full cassette yet.

We empty the cassette every couple of days when travelling and always at the end of a trip.

That's what works for us but others will have their own system.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I gave up using the blue stuff a long, long time ago.

I was told that stuff only masked the aroma rather than "breaking the stuff down" so to speak.

I also believe it contains formaldehyde which is horrid stuff and is very bad for septic tanks and sewage works as it stops the enzyme thingies from working their magic.

So... the biological washing liquid (not washing up liquid) does a better job, costs far, far less and is much, much better for the environment.

Years ago yes it contained all sorts of nasty stuff(blue) -but these days they banned all the nastiness and I believe it can be emptied almost anywhere --
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back