Casserole Cooking in France- Frankie please help.

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Armytwowheels, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

@yodeli - Frankie what cut of beef should I ask for in the butchers/ supermarket for slow cooking. I tried my best rubbish French today and ended up with a lovely cut of Topside. Not only expensive but not really the right stuff for the slow cooker.

Mind you I was pretty chuffed to end up with any meat as my French is so poor!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Frentchy

Frentchy Funster

Scan0005.jpg Scan0006.jpg For Braising Try Hampe or Basse Cote. Or for Stews, Macreuse a Pot-Au Feu or Boeuf- Bougnioin

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

Braiser bifteck is braising steak for casseroles, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  5. Armytwowheels

Thanks guys, that's a great help. I have put the French and English cows into my phone so have a reference on the next shop.

• Like Like x 1
  6. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Oh Dear ! Sorry I never saw your post!!!

You want slow cooking but with wine or without?

Without , for just a slow cooking I take "pot au feu" (this is just cooked in cold water with vegs in for about 4 hours). So this one you just ask for "différents morceaux pour pot-au-feu". The butcher will serve you ok

If it's for a bourguignon so cooked with wine, then do the same and ask for : différents morceaux pour bourguignon.

If you go to a supermarket , you'll find the same words "pot-au-feu" or "bourguignon" . In any case you can ask for "boeuf à braiser" have a go with google translation, not for the translation but by pressing on the sound button you'll have the way to pronounce it!

I haven' read the links given by the other funsters., the iron is waiting for me and gets hot LOL!! Just giving you what "I" ask for.

Amicalement

Frankie:xsmile:

• Like Like x 9
  7. Armytwowheels

Thanks my dear. We are having posh topside tomorrow ( May even try Yorkshire pudding in the van), but will try your recommendations next week. There is an amazing butchers shop in the town but I was too shy to shop there so went to the supermarket, only to find a man behind the counter that needed speaking too. We don't have these complications in England.

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

We have had this problem in France. It was a little village butchers and all the meat was kept in a refrigerator, no doubt it was good meat but it wasn't on display so you had to ask for it specifically. This is why we shop in supermarket's more often these days!

• Like Like x 1
  9. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

LOL ! If you don't want any complication then write those words (I indicate in the previous post) on a paper, and add , choisissez comme pour vous (choose as if for yourself) c'est pour 2 personnes(for 2 people...unless you have decided to invite the whole campsite!) , je ne parle pas français (this one I bet you know it! but at least you won't be asked anything)

Frankie:xwink::xThumb:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I know this may sound like sacrilege, but faux fillet done in the slow cooker is fabulous. Buy good sirloin with a good marble of fat and cook slowly in the slow cooker. Much better than fillet,and much cheaper.

11. Armytwowheels

I did see that cut in the shelves but thought fillet wouldn't be good. The trouble was the shop I was in keep the meat in the fridge out of sight so I needed to know what to ask for.

I feel better equipped now ahead of the next shop. Mind you the weather is so miserable here we might pack up today and head to Spain.