Marrwyck

Free Member
Jan 29, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
Exp
2 Years
Hi everyone.

We were wondering if whilst in Europe if most of you just go to hole in wall & draw money out in Euro's etc or if there was a better way to get more Euro's for your money :Smile::Smile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Where ever you are drawing out from abroad, ensure you only do it on a nationwide flex account card. This is because they dont charge you large amounts for drawing like other banks do.

Dont forget to tell your card companies at least twice that you are withdrawing abroad and give the dates, otherwise you may get stranded.

If you are going to USA, they prefer payment by card not cash.

Cant help further than this sorry.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Wherever we go we use the hole in the wall.

You can always find one, you only need to withdraw the amount that you want and its safe.:Smile:

Saves messing with travellers cheques etc.

Carry small amounts of cash. Pay by cedit card if you have one.

Strangely there are a lot of shops/outlets in USA that will not take American Express

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bmwtouring

Free Member
Apr 17, 2008
Uxbridge
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
First Motorhome
card abroad

Nationwide flex account card every time

Just returned from cyprus and nationwide gave an exchange rate of 1.26 euros to the pound while the post office and M&S were giving an exchange rate of 1.21 for currency.

Kev

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
yep same here nationwide flex account is spot on no charges and a decent exchange rate :Smile:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
only one for us nationwide .yes don't forget to tell them your dates away .
just in case there is a problem stopping over put few extra days on to your total stay dares :thumb:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I try not to use cash at all and pay for most things with my debit card, no commission or bank charges and last week I was getting a better exchange rate than getting cash over here.

Ralph

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I try not to use cash at all and pay for most things with my debit card, no commission or bank charges and last week I was getting a better exchange rate than getting cash over here.

Ralph

have you not noticed that more and more sites in France and Spain are cash only. Or is it that they take just one look at me and want cash:Smile:

Couple of large sites in Spain last year would not accept cheques or cards, only cash, and by pure chance they had a cash machine in the lobby:Eeek:

OP
OP
Marrwyck

Marrwyck

Free Member
Jan 29, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
Exp
2 Years
Nationwide definetely worth a look.

Also looked at pre paid euro cards.

Thxs for all your thoughts :thumb:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Use Natiowide

Hi everyone.

We were wondering if whilst in Europe if most of you just go to hole in wall & draw money out in Euro's etc or if there was a better way to get more Euro's for your money :Smile::Smile:

Hi, we opened an account with the Nationwide for use abroad and found it excellent. We have just done 8 weeks in New Zealand and the card gave us $3 to the pound better than anyone else and NO charges whatsoever for withdrawing cash or buying goods etc. It also offers the same value in Europe as we found in France and Spain.
Wilf

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
have you not noticed that more and more sites in France and Spain are cash only. Or is it that they take just one look at me and want cash:Smile:

Couple of large sites in Spain last year would not accept cheques or cards, only cash, and by pure chance they had a cash machine in the lobby:Eeek:

This type of private ATM usually charges a hefty fee and a poor conversion rate.

It seems sensible to only draw out small amounts of money at a go but this will often mean that you will be paying a huge percentage in charges each time.

Not only do the ATM suppliers charge a fee but many UK banks add one on also. Alliance-Leicester charge £2 a throw.

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
That's why everyone is recommending that you take a Nationwide Flex Account Card with you. ie NO charges this side of the water.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back