Carver water heater now working - solved! (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Looking forward to a shower yesterday, I put the water heater on (on gas) for an hour only to find that the water was stone cold.

The leisure battery was low having been off grid for the last few weekends away with not a lot of miles in between.

You were right @Minxy Girl - the water heater must need electricity to work even if it's running on gas. We put some charge back in the leisure battery on the way home and the water heater is now working again.

Phew - no big expense!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Great stuff Janine ... sometimes my brain works correctly! :D

Now so you don't let your battery go so low, or at least know what it's got in in you need a voltmeter of some sort.

This is one that plugs into a standard ciggy socket so you can put it into your dash one and your leisure one to see what the readings are:

s-l400.jpg

Alternatively you can fit permanent ones such as the below:

s-l1600.jpg

Or get one like this with a 12v socket included for not much more money:

s-l1600.jpg

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we have the volt meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter being wary of leaving cheap chinese electrics plugged in permenantly i store it in a 22mm copper plumbing clip inside the wardrobe just the right size to hold it so you dont use it remember it will only give the voltage of the battery the lighter is connected to so plugging it in the front will usually show the vehicle batttery voltage
whilst the engine is running it will show alternator output on both hab and cab sockets as the split charge connects them
like wise in the hab area it will show solar input if you have it

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You need enough electric power to hold open the solenoid, which is an electrically operated gas "tap".

If the "tap" isn't held open, no gas will flow and the water heater won't stay alight.

In which case, just "man up" and have a vold shower... bracing stuff.

Just saying...

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back