Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

I'm not naive enough to think any van comes without potential problems, but no denying they look a lot better than the competition.

A knowledgeable mate of mine on another forum told me about a writer on a motorhome mag that was so disgusted with problems with his, he PX'd it.

For me the choice between a i138 or a couple of hymer exsis models. Will make my mind up after seeing them. but the hymer makes far more sense price wise, and support wise. also I think the weight more reliable...but prefer the finish and look and interior of the i 138. just have to work out what to do...:coffee:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
we folow the sun and in 30 + deg heat who wants to use an oven. Have managed 25 years without one and don't see the need to replicate the house kitchen....if I want a roast chicken I will go and buy a succulent rotisserie one from a shop. rather have the storage to be honest...ovens are a British oddity:)

Aren't Londoners British then ?
We use our oven a lot, though take your point about the 30deg+.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
we folow the sun and in 30 + deg heat who wants to use an oven. Have managed 25 years without one and don't see the need to replicate the house kitchen....if I want a roast chicken I will go and buy a succulent rotisserie one from a shop. rather have the storage to be honest...ovens are a British oddity:)

I would not have a MH without an oven but of course in 30+would not use it . When hooked up we use a remoska instead of the oven .
I am curious as to where you go in the MH in the winter to get 30+deg or do you only use the MH in the summer ?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I would not have a MH without an oven but of course in 30+would not use it . When hooked up we use a remoska instead of the oven .
I am curious as to where you go in the MH in the winter to get 30+deg or do you only use the MH in the summer ?

Fair weather campers these days, season starts around Easter time,when we head for spain, ends late Autumn. always had fully winterised vans previously, been up in Sweden in -25 and amazingly still survived without an oven!:D

You wont find me on a UK campsite mid winter any time soon..rather be snuggled up at home in front of the wood burner

want to return to more adventurous long term breaks hence why looking at the Carthago. just need wife to retire:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Its a no brained. We purchased a Carthorpe CTourer last October after 12 previous vans mainly British. The Carthago is totally in a different league with the British manufacturers still learning how to build motor homes. In Spain at the moment and the fridge has packed up on gas but don't trust the spanish to fix a fuse so will manage until we get home. If you are definitely yearning for a Carthago then go for it and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

That's a bit unfair, we had an Opus, the fridge packed up big time, a Spanish engineer came out and replaced the whole heat exchanger, told us he had replace a lot on tec towers. Lowdham paid up but Carthago didn't won't to know, nor for that matter did Dometic.
We also had a leaking ceramic loo, poo, again an engineer from Barcelona came out and replaced the whole unit FOC. We also had two windscreens fail on a Chic tag axel both changed under warranty in France. We Brits aren't the best at everything!
Now we have a Hymer and the build quality in my opinion is far better than Carthago.

Wobby

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
One standard fit on the i138 is the SOG toilet. I am very impressed how it removes all smells and requires no chemicals. The factory install uses a chimney and is very neat and quiet. Additionally, the double floor installation of batteries and water tanks is well executed with sufficient warm air pipes to easily keep the space, therefore the tanks and of course the floor itself , warm. With hindsight i wish i had chosen the electric heating .

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
image.jpg

This is our baby

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Now we have a Hymer and the build quality in my opinion is far better than Carthago.

Wobby

I think you may be right on that score, after accessing all the information, both positive and negative, I have gathered so far regards the two makes.

Head says Hymer 474 or 504, heart Carthago i138. Lets hope head wins the day, as at least with a Hymer you have local support if need be, keener price, weights seem to be accurate, and easy to sell on as always popular in UK.
If I can only get over them awful Hymer headlights that bug me, and if garage big enough..... and am not be seduced by the Carthago looks, as I feel like a sailor being drawn to the rocks by an irresistible mermaid! :D

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I disagree on Hymer. We had a 2003 544 new and that was Hymer in their pomp. A 564 2006 new and 614 in 2009 new. Both Pilote and Carthago have been less problematical and equally well built. All Hymers from Hymer UK.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We are getting the Arto 88f, with the Lamborghini colouring. We went to Harrogate to find a "wifi" booster and ending up spending inheritance !!!!.
Hi Hotelman,congrats on your 88F,we went inside it at the NEC show and it is a fantastic motorhome, that was what caused us to cancel the 88E we had ordered and order an 88F instead with the large kitchen(y)enjoy your new motorhome great choice:).we heard yesterday that our 88F is due to arrive in the uk next week(y)so looking forward to that now.
Brian & Jo

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
One standard fit on the i138 is the SOG toilet. I am very impressed how it removes all smells and requires no chemicals .
Not particularly well implemented, they don't bother to fit a filter in the roof vented ones & as my mate found out with his i-142QB if you use the loo with the rooflight open and the wind is in the right direction you get the full benefit inside the van:D.
I much prefer the Hymer system with underfloor vent & good sized canister carbon filter.

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Not particularly well implemented, they don't bother to fit a filter in the roof vented ones & as my mate found out with his i-142QB if you use the loo with the rooflight open and the wind is in the right direction you get the full benefit inside the van:D.
I much prefer the Hymer system with underfloor vent & good sized canister carbon filter.

That does sound like a better system but only if your toilet is on the opposite side to your awning. Will remember to keep roof vent closed.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

A fantastic vent wouldn't help then!lol

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
Probably have a look at a Compactline I 143 this weekend, prices in Germany look favourable at the moment though, quite happy with lhd.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Probably have a look at a Compactline I 143 this weekend, prices in Germany look favourable at the moment though, quite happy with lhd.

I'm still torn to be honest and don't know what to do.....will see what I think when I see them. UK prices crazy, don't know how they can justify them to be honest :( Definitely an import for us!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back