Carthago windscreen

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mart grump, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Mart grump

Mart grump Funster

We have recently purchased a new Carthago a class first time we slept in the Motorhome we found the windscreen condensates so bad that the blowers can't move it . We contacted the dealer they said use a long sqwegey with a towel on the dash board sorry after paying £103 grand I don't think that's acceptable any ideas

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Silverscreens for exterior on cold nights and a karcher window vac to use inside in the morning, sorted.
    The problem is the windscreen is the the coldest thing in the moho so breath will condensate there. The silverscreen will help no end and the vac will pick up any that does condensate

• Like Like x 4
  3. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

As above.lol

4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I'm with you Mr Grump, we have the same problem, you are not alone with the problem or the annoyance, at the kind of money we are talking about I really don't why the screens are not double glazed, the side ones are

It cant really be a weight thing, or cost, and as they are insured even replacement is not an issue

Equivalent top end cars have double glazed windscreens, why not MH's?

5. dbnosey

dbnosey Funster

For £103 grand you'd expect a double glazed, heated windscreen. Lol.
    On a more serious note check your windscreen insurance cover incase you need to claim. Most insurers have a maximum of £3000. A Carthago A class can cost £6000+ to replace. That's what I was told by a very good and reliable dealer which had one in with a cracked screen. Luckily the customer had separate windscreen Insurance cover.
    Colin

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

We also have a so called quality Carthago but the Q part is sadly missing. We have had ice on the inside of our van this winter. After 13 motor homes this is the first to have ice.
    Our previous AClass vans in winter were all okay but this one is terrible. One thing for sure NEVER purchase from a Carthago dealer as they are the best for ripping you off. I have one daytime running light off out of 10 and to replace it I have to buy a pair at £400. I sourced a winter screen from Italy and it's helps but is heavy to hump around. The Carthago screen was twice the price and kept falling of. They eventually agreed it was rubbish and gave me a refund. I'm convinced the dealers must just think of any price and quadruple it and see if the customers bites. For a habitation check you need a lottery win.
    Sorry but I would NEVER purchase a Carthago again. One bitten and all that.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

i find it quite shocking that a MH with a price tag of 103k cant find a way to demist its windscreens without having to go through using a cloth etc,so what happens about damp ingress?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Disappointing yes but no matter how much we spend on a motor home can we change physics ? Warm air meets cold screen = condensation....

• Like Like x 6
  9. laird of Dunstan

quite right charlie,but there should be some kind of a drainage system other than relying on a towel to soak it up , i deal with condensation as a problem with my job,i can just see the customers face if i told them to stick a towel under it :rolleyes::)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Our Transit based van has a heated windscreen, easy peasy to clear in the morning, start engine and turn on. Although we use external screens anyway and never have an issue. On a £100k van I would have thought heated screen would be included.

11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You need to buy yourself a Karcher window vac - just a couple of minutes in a morning and it will be clear. Beats using a cloth any day!

• Like Like x 4
  12. laird of Dunstan

do you get this problem on all A class motorhomes?

13. Minxy Girl

Its not restricted to A classes, all MHs get it to some extent.

14. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Our A class has a huge windscreen and like every other the same suffers terrible condensation.
    Cure is easy a set of Silverscreens they work perfectly and when fitted absolutely no condensation.
    Dont see towels or karcher as sensible solutions as both are only a means of cleaning up the mess. Also the condensation causes all sorts of damage prevention is the best method eg Silverscreens.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Minxy Girl

If you have external screens then yes but if you're on an aire etc then most people won't use them and internal ones will help reduce it but not prevent it totally, so the use of a window vac would still be a good 'addition'.

• Like Like x 1
  16. iandsm

iandsm Funster

The Karcher is a perfectly sensible solution for us, we don't have, and don't want screens, either internal or external. I don't want to put them on or take them off then find somewhere to keep them when travelling. I find the Karcher takes two minutes, if that and the condensation of gone. It also has the effect of keeping the inside of the screen beautifully clean.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Minxy Girl

Another option would be to make curtains to give some insulation to the cab - it wouldn't be difficult.

18. Minxy Girl

Have you made a 'nappy' for yours to stop it 'piddling' when you accidentally turn it sideways?

19. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Air flow. You have spent a lot of money and you have got an A class,thats air tight,so that's one point in its favour. So you need to circulate air around. Happens sometimes in houses.
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fletton

Fletton Funster

Our Knaus A has suffered only once with a "steamy window"... after being out in all types of weather conditions...

That was the one night i left the stick-on tv arial lead poked out of the drivers sliding window.. It rained all night.. Consequently the window slider trough filled with water... causing some condensation on the front screen...

After reading many threads on the subject in my early days as a newbie; I was determined to buy external covers... But so far I cannot justify... (Unless we go skiing and the like)..

What are we doing wrong!?.. o_O:( :LOL: