CARTHAGO STAND - NEC SHOW, Funsters Offer! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This is how they build a N+B Arto, notice in the top picture the control panel is already powered up.

There are a couple of manufacturers that build the outside first, Phoenix for a start.

DSC02424.jpg
DSC02428.jpg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
A number of the vans on the Carthago Stand at the NEC show are owned by a large UK Carthago dealer that has given me FIRST REFUSAL for FUNSTERS on their purchase for the limited period up till mid day latest ( Tuesday) of the first Day of the show . Please PM me if you are seriously interested in a purchase of a Carthago with your particular choice of model and I will tell you if it’s available – I will then confirm a price for you from the Dealer well in advance of the show, who will reserve this vehicle for your refusal or purchase on the stand in the usual way.

I am promised that you will be getting a quoted price that should be extremely competitive . I have already committed myself to the purchase of a vehicle which I have specified and can assure you that having got quotes from all the others is by far the best and furthermore very close to what I would have paid by personally importing it myself.

To give us a taste for these good deals – this dealer has immediately made available:

Carthago c-tourer T143 Brand new in the showroom discounted to us at £59,995 - those seriously looking will know what a great deal that is! - PM me if you want it?

Chris.
Don't know the first thing about new vans and never likely to pay more than £15.000 for a van so lets me out , but interested in this thread but what I can't understand is what are you standing to get out of this deal , why bother with all the aggro.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I looked at a Chic line last November. £6k discount brought it down to £104k.
Saw a new one advertised at £85k a few months ago, all down to the Euro.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Don't know the first thing about new vans and never likely to pay more than £15.000 for a van so lets me out , but interested in this thread but what I can't understand is what are you standing to get out of this deal , why bother with all the aggro.

I was wondering but far too polite to ask. It does seem very cloak and dagger.

Martin

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.

Well "chaser" - a while ago I might have said just that myself but circumstances and choices change and I started out motor homing building my own very many years ago with a budget of 5k.

It might be nice to get a thanks from someone who might benefit from this I really have benefitted myself already with a great deal from this dealer - and its not really aggro - you cant really take the adverse comments too seriously can you when those that are making DONT own a Carthago and see fit to SLAG OFF those Funsters that do own a Carthago and are in the real position of giving an opinion - that of course does not include me as I've yet to take delivery of mine - however as usual many want to shoot the messenger.

Might be a good idea for champions of other marks such as the Hymer to try and help others on here by getting their Hymer dealer for instance to get on board with the Funsters and try helping in a similar way - however its much easier to criticise rather than do just that! Let the aggro continue - its just Funsters at play eh!

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
O - and lets face it we really have found ourselves a great "Shower tray tester" in Judgmental via this thread eh - I recommend all ask him to accompany them when buying a new Motorhome eh! :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have found judge has very set ideas and doesn't like to try anything else , I respect and agree with a lot he says but I had the same reaction about electric bikes , we had the most fantastic deal imagine able on wayscral bikes in France and for what we want them for couldn't fault them but all he advised was some other bike for about 5 times as much, which wouldn't have been one iota of use for us.

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Oooops - sorry "judgmental" - just read back through the thread - I'm sorry to say you are not the "Funsters Motorhome Shower Tray tester - wait for it..................... IT's "lennyhb" - congratulations lenny!!

"Judgmental" (Eddie) - really sorry I made that mistake - but take it as a consolation it looks like (from the post from chaser above) you might get the job of being our electric bike tester eh!! :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Tip of the iceberg. Do yourselves a favoir and ask what the OP getting out of this....

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

Yes - that's exactly right - the dealer here has done precisely that and bought a massive amount of Euros at a particularly good rate - however the deals wont last long as he spends them and no sign of the rate going back up there yet.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
He was quoting 1.35 when rate was 1.40. Dealers set rate with manufacturers at beginning of year...suits them most of the time not us! Thats if your in anyway circumspect.:whistle:

You still have not explained why quote for factory fresh A class was cheaper then your so called T offer on a demo vehicle. And as others have said what is your motive exactly....

Peetee

Free Member
Jul 11, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Judgemental, why don't you sell your house and buy in Germany.
You keep on harping about everything is cheaper abroad.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
All Judgemental has ever said is most things are cheaper in Mainland Europe.
I find a lot of his coments spot on some I dont .
But at the end its just funsters helping each other out with there experience.

If someone is happy to buy in the UK + RHD. So be it
Even if the OP gets a small commision( I dont say he does)
Then so what if everone is happy.

We cant all agree

Mel

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
But at the end its just funsters helping each other out with there experience.

If someone is happy to buy in the UK + RHD. So be it
Even if the OP gets a small commision( I dont say he does)
Then so what if everone is happy.

Thanks for your support Mel - and No I don't get even a small commission - there is no financial connection between myself and the Dealer other than the fact he has taken a deposit from me -admittedly a small one after more negotiation on the purchase of my Carthago. We will of course hear the critics say they don't believe that - just wait for it eh!

Some inquiries I have received from Funsters I have assisted by giving them the Total UK Retail price purely from the Carthago 2016 price list based on their particular choice of extras - some have gone further and asked for a specific quote from the dealer and where they are genuine I have put them directly in contact with the Dealer and he has discussed a deal and Part Exchange on their existing vehicle if required ( In this instance I have not seen the quotation).

What I DO HOPE comes out of this is that other Dealers take note of the power of the Forums such as Motorhomefun and realise we do want them to seriously compete with the dealers on the continent promoting personal imports - that might mean them cutting their margins significantly as I HOPE this dealer is. Again in my particular case HE HAS and I'm paying about 4k more than I would have done by doing the personal import thing.

Yes - I'm twisting his arm for Funsters and he might well come up trumps eh! However like all here we will have to wait and see - at least we have given him the opportunity!

AGAIN - I call on other Funsters to try and get a HYMER or other brand of motorhome dealer to make similar offers. Don't just sit there and knock the idea - do something about it!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have found judge has very set ideas and doesn't like to try anything else , I respect and agree with a lot he says but I had the same reaction about electric bikes , we had the most fantastic deal imagine able on wayscral bikes in France and for what we want them for couldn't fault them but all he advised was some other bike for about 5 times as much, which wouldn't have been one iota of use for us.
Yes Eddie does have set ideas (I'm a bit like that) but they are based on sensible logic and financial awareness.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I was seriously interested in a Chic, I priced one up about 4/5 weeks ago with Euro at 1.37, a Chic C line i4.9 with super pack,,, media pack, 4.25 chassis, 150 engine , auto box and a few other extras came out under 65k.
Since then after looking seriously at them we have decided to stick with our Hymer & if we do change it will probably be another Hymer. The Chic is very glitzy but doesn't appear to have the underlying quality & warranty support of Hymer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Judgemental, why don't you sell your house and buy in Germany.
You keep on harping about everything is cheaper abroad.
All Eddie is doing is pointing out how we get ripped of in the UK.
All the time we are in the EU we are in a common market place, because there is a few yards of water between us and the rest of Europe UK dealers think it gives them a right to charge silly prices.
I always look for the best prices and Germany is often the place to go. In the last 18 months apart from the Hymer (brought in Belgium) saving £12k, I have brought from Germany a Clarion Stereo for the van saving £120, Froli Stars for the van's bed saving £90 & 2 e-bikes saving a £1000.

Some of us do not have the resources to pay UK inflated prices, but we still like to buy quality products.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
AGAIN - I call on other Funsters to try and get a HYMER or other brand of motorhome dealer to make similar offers. Don't just sit there and knock the idea - do something about it!!
To be honest I can't be arsed, we enjoy the foreign buying experience far less stressful than trying to deal with UK dealers, they appear to be far more honest and generally just give you their best price straight away (or very close to it).
When I have approached a UK dealer once they are aware you are getting prices from abroad they refuse to quote.

You say you are still paying 4k more than the imported price, to me 4k is a lot of dosh well worth saving.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Tip of the iceberg. Do yourselves a favoir and ask what the OP getting out of this....

Do you know Judge that when someone gets a bee in their bonnet it goes from interesting to boring.
I think though we could not afford one Chris is offering an option and if anyone chooses to take it up, good on Chris for getting the offer for Funsters.

ciderdaze

Free Member
Apr 10, 2012
exmouth
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
20 years
Hi All, I have Carthago chic xl 5.8 and very pleased with it , build quality is first class, I have had a lot of different vans in the past but this one is without doubt the best, And the shower does not squeak, I have had it about 9 months now and really love it so I would recommend them.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
Do you know Judge that when someone gets a bee in their bonnet it goes from interesting to boring.
I think though we could not afford one Chris is offering an option and if anyone chooses to take it up, good on Chris for getting the offer for Funsters.

Very well put, I spoke with Chris at Pembrey and if we do decide on a Carthago what he has arranged will be used ss a bargaining tool.
Thank you Chris.

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You say you are still paying 4k more than the imported price, to me 4k is a lot of dosh well worth saving.

I think 4k is a lot to anyone lenny - however that 4k reduces to 2k when I take the accepted importation costs away - And without taking away the loss of earnings costs in time if your still working like myself - the hassle - the risk of exchange rate fluctuations - etc.

On a retail priced van at 120k - 2k amounts to 1.66%

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
But at the end its j
All Eddie is doing is pointing out how we get ripped of in the UK.
All the time we are in the EU we are in a common market place, because there is a few yards of water between us and the rest of Europe UK dealers think it gives them a right to charge silly prices.
I always look for the best prices and Germany is often the place to go. In the last 18 months apart from the Hymer (brought in Belgium) saving £12k, I have brought from Germany a Clarion Stereo for the van saving £120, Froli Stars for the van's bed saving £90 & 2 e-bikes saving a £1000.

Some of us do not have the resources to pay UK inflated prices, but we still like to buy quality products.

Heavens....I wouldn't mind if this a genuine competitive offer....but its not. just blatant advertising trying to move old stock to make way for 2016. Thay just don't want to be stuck with them over the winter... Still refused to answer essential information,IMO when considering a van: build date. month/year...
Or why a factory fresh 2016 A class (10,000 € more) van is cheaper....your money your choice

funny how some have to get personal when challenged...

I was pretty convinced this summer after visiting Carthago City and Hymer factory Carthago were for me.....its only after sifting through threads in German, French and Italian forums have I found out they have just as many problems as other makes.....

If you can spend 200,000 on a liner class and have repeat water ingress problems with roof, windows and bathrooms? ( incidentally liner production suspended due to lack of demand) . Whats my chance with a £55k budget range van, no better and probably safer with cheaper Hymer I think even if not so glitzy.....

Hate to see anyone getting mugged off, don't like what I say? press the ignore button:)

as I said no need for personal digs ..your money your choice. remember this though: All that glitters is not gold & fools rush in where wise men fail to tread

Last edited:
OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi All, I have Carthago chic xl 5.8 and very pleased with it , build quality is first class, I have had a lot of different vans in the past but this one is without doubt the best, And the shower does not squeak, I have had it about 9 months now and really love it so I would recommend them.

Great to hear that ciderdaze - that's the exact model I've ordered too! Many thanks for your reassurances.

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Very well put, I spoke with Chris at Pembrey and if we do decide on a Carthago what he has arranged will be used ss a bargaining tool.
Thank you Chris.

No problem Trevor - I hope you get to the show and see those sport models :) - and yes the Carthago sport ones too eh!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
This is how they build a N+B Arto, notice in the top picture the control panel is already powered up.

There are a couple of manufacturers that build the outside first, Phoenix for a start.

View attachment 78570View attachment 78571
It is great to see them swing the side panels on towards the end, and walking around you could see right into the guts of a generic version of your MH. We were there in February, and I understand they are now restricting where visitors can roam on the line so you cannot get right in and see. They nearly had a fit when I went up the gantry to look at the way a guy was fitting the Oyster, so elf and safty will be taking over. I did not get any pictures Martin so seeing these was a sweet reminder.

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Heavens....I wouldn't mind if this a genuine competitive offer....but its not. just blatant advertising trying to move old stock to make way for 2016. Thay just don't want to be stuck with them over the winter... Still refused to answer essential information,IMO when considering a van: build date. month/year...

"Judgemental" - you have already asked that question a day or so ago - and I told you then that I personally don't actually have a build date.month/year - however the Dealer has specifically told me and I've already told you that the "one and only" van in question is a 2015 model which arrived direct from Carthago to him in August 2015.

I don't think anyone even yourself could consider it "old stock" at just 11 or possibly 12 weeks old into the UK at this time surely?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We love a Funster Deal so it's great that Freespirit1 has taken the time & effort to organise this offer. With over 22,000 members & our lively forum we should have some group buying power especially in the motorhome market! (y) Do agree with Judgemental that it is wise to check all the facts before buying - these motorhomes do cost a lot of hard-earned money. We would also exercise caution with regards to what the dealers salespersons say - hopefully there must be some genuine, knowledgeable ones out there but we haven't found any yet & we have talked to a lot :( Hope the Carthago stand staff at next weeks show are prepared for all the questions & the hard deal that the well-prepared Funsters may be trying to negotiate...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think 4k is a lot to anyone lenny - however that 4k reduces to 2k when I take the accepted importation costs away - And without taking away the loss of earnings costs in time if your still working like myself - the hassle - the risk of exchange rate fluctuations - etc.

On a retail priced van at 120k - 2k amounts to 1.66%
You are playing with figures what's 102k got to do with it if you are only paying 70-75k.
Where did you get you get that fictitious figure of 2k to import, both the vans I have imported it has been below £500.
As for exchange rate fluctuation you can reserve an exchange rate for 3 months.
Fine if you want to buy in the UK but why try to scare people off importing by quoting untrue facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back