Carthago continuously on EHU or not?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Dorset Diver, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Dorset Diver

Dorset Diver Funster

The van is fitted with a CBE 516 charger, two 85 amp AGM leisure batteries and of course the vehicle battery. With previous vans I have always left it plugged in and charging when it is "resting" on our drive. They all had Sargent power supplies and no harm came to the batteries but with this CBE I can't decide whether to do the same as the instructions are not clear to me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Hi Dorset Driver
    We have the CBE panel on our van and leave it plugged in all the time - if you are on a site you would have it plugged in all the time aswell?

3. Dorset Diver

Dorset Diver Funster

@SteveandSue. Thanks for your reply. I agree with your logic and have been leaving it plugged up I just don't want to damage the batteries.

4. deanroofing

deanroofing Funster

Plug in all the time.

5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

The CBE charger will maintain your batteries perfectly.
    However, it might be worth disconnecting the EHU lead and taking off the front cover of the charger.
    Inside is a Gel/PB switch. It needs to be switched to gel to best suit your batteries.

6. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

I've got a Carthago Chic and would be happy to leave on EHU permanently. We don't need to as we have solar panels

7. Dorset Diver

Dorset Diver Funster

We also have a 140w SP but I like to leave the heating set to 5C to prevent freezing which means leaving the EHU connected.

8. Robert Clark

I drain ours down between trips in the winter - and refill just before we go away, with the heating on 20, so everything is toasty before we head off.
    Different strokes for different folks I guess

9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Really? Have never left heating on in a van in 25 years......

10. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

(y) page 2 English page 5
    http://www.cbe.it/sites/default/files/CB510-516.pdf

11. Robert Clark

I only put it on the day before we leave
    Then on the timer as required
    Hate getting into a cold bed in the winter

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dorset Diver

Dorset Diver Funster

In Somerset it is quite unusual for the temperature to drop very low so the frost setting rare kicks in. As for heating the van prior to arrival at site we have an engine heat exchanger that works well.

13. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Slightly OT you have AGM batteries but you charger is not suitable for AGM, if you rely on your batteries you would be wise to change them for either wet cell batteries or gel's. I speak from experience having recently had a pair of AGM's fail after 18 months.
    Might be worth contacting CBE to see if there is a mod available for the charger.

14. Dorset Diver

Dorset Diver Funster

Lenny, was it established without doubt that it was your charger that caused your AGM's to fail? I ask as it seems strange that Carthago would put them in as original equipment if the charger was not suitable.

15. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

All the information on the WWW says to treat AGM's as sealed lead acid or maintenance free as the required charging voltages are pretty much alike.
    https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/charging-articles/how-do-i-pick-a-battery-charger.html

Flooded:

This is the traditional engine start, tractor and deep cycle style battery. The liquid electrolyte is free to move in the cell compartment. The user has access to the individual cells and can add distilled water as the battery dries out. Popular uses are engine starting and deep cycle designs.

Typical absorption voltage range 14.4 to 14.9 volts, typical float voltage range 13.1 to 13.4 volts.

- See more at: https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/art...k-a-battery-charger.html#sthash.alJcch3R.dpuf

AGM:

The Absorbed Glass Matt construction allows the electrolyte to be suspended in close proximity with the plates active material. In theory, this enhances both the discharge and recharge efficiency. Actually, the AGM batteries are a variant of Sealed VRLA batteries, just a more advanced design. Popular usage includes high performance engine starting, power sports, deep cycle, solar and storage battery.

Typical absorption voltage range 14.4 to 15.0 volts, typical float voltage range 13.2 to 13.8 volts.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Most German manufacturers have been doing it for a few years, if you look on the German forums loads of posts of Banner & Varta AGM's failing due to incorrect charging. Hymer have been fitting AGM's since around 2012 and have only just started to fit a suitable charger.
    IMO AGM's are a waste of time in a Motorhome, when I got my new van the AGM's didn't appear to perform very well. I have now replaced them with Gel's the difference in performance was very noticeable.

17. awg

awg Funster

I park our Carthago I149 at a local farm with all water drained and power switched off at the panel. I bring it home very 6 weeks for an overnight on EHU before taking it back to the farm. Stopped using it in early December and planning to start again next weekend so I only brought it home twice over the winter.