Carthago Compactline vs. Hymer Exsis-i - views please (1 Viewer)

cbrown1360

Free Member
Aug 24, 2015
Lymington
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
We are looking to upgrade to a "continental" van with twin single beds over a large garage, length less than 7m and width no more than 2.2m. We have narrowed it down to the Carthago Compactline 143 and the Hymer Exsis-i 588. Both are very nice vans with a price tag to match and therefore we are looking to buy used if possible. Any views of the relative merits of each van would be very welcome. Thanks

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I wouldn't have either - (I hate the look of A Class - too much like our local school bus) but -----
The Hymer looks the best inside. There is too much polished wood in the Carthargo - too old fashioned for me.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I'm biased as we have an Exsis i698 we love it it's has a good payload with a GVW 4250kg it's only 2.2mwide and 2700 high and a pleasure to drive.
We looked at Carthego but felt they were not worth the extra money only our opinion.
Check out mobile.de there are lots of bargains on there and far cheaper than UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fellraven

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
I'm biased as we have an Exsis i698 we love it it's has a good payload with a GVW 4250kg it's only 2.2mwide and 2700 high and a pleasure to drive.
We looked at Carthego but felt they were not worth the extra money only our opinion.
Check out mobile.de there are lots of bargains on there and far cheaper than UK.
Hi Alan, did you get yours using mobil. de. If so did you get lhd ? is it ok?

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I'm also biased as we have a Carthago C-Tourer, and I really can't fault it. We looked very deeply into buying a Hymer first, but they were just too narrow for a pair of fatties like us. The Hymer bathroom was slightly, but only slightly better than the Carthago, but in most other respects we preferred ours. The quality ia excellent, no noises whatsoever on the road and it looks great. Little things like the insulation levels and the heated, totally flat floor make us very happy. I'm sure however you will be overjoyed with either choice. The tv viewing position is sensibly low as well, no cricked necks!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi Alan, did you get yours using mobil. de. If so did you get lhd ? is it ok?
Ours was advertised on mobile.de and it is LHD took a few times to get used to it but sometimes I think it's easier as you sat at the side of the road over here however we got to use in Europe and it's far better over there.
We chose to use Bundesvan to import it for us and they did a brilliant job no hassle everything done by them and delivered to our door.
You can do it yourself but we didn't want the hassle.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
One minor thing I don't like about the Carthago is layout of the WC, whereby there is little room for your legs when the toilet door is closed.
Looking at the Hymer layout, it looks like the WC is facing the shower cubicle, so you'd maybe feel a little less cramped.
A small detail that you might light to consider and/or check before making a final decision

Best of luck with your purchase!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
One minor thing I don't like about the Carthago is layout of the WC, whereby there is little room for your legs when the toilet door is closed.
Looking at the Hymer layout, it looks like the WC is facing the shower cubicle, so you'd maybe feel a little less cramped.
A small detail that you might light to consider and/or check before making a final decision

Best of luck with your purchase!
That's right @Robert Clark Loads of room in the bog that was one of our must haves.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
My previous van was a Hymer and now I have a Carthago Chic (both A-Class).

Can't really comment on the 2 vans you are considering but I think both have steps in the overall floor plan, I prefer a flat floor from front to back.

I've visited both factories in Germany and found Hymer the most helpful and speak good English. Carthago now actively say you must sort any problems via their Dealer network. Hymer may have now adopted a similar attitude but think they are generally a bit more flexible.

I've had far more problems with the Carthago than I ever had with the Hymer. The only thing that prevented me from buying another Hymer was the exploding headlights - but I think they sorted that in about 2012.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We have the Hymer Exsis I 578, bought it last year from Campirama and we are really pleased with it. It's 6.75 metres and has the bathroom with the swing wall shower which we really like.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We have the Hymer Exsis I 578, bought it last year from Campirama and we are really pleased with it. It's 6.75 metres and has the bathroom with the swing wall shower which we really like.

We have that bathroom in our Hymer, too, and we find it excellent. It gives you loads of room to either use the loo and wash basin, or to use the shower. The shower itself is also nice and powerful, compared to the one we had in our Burstner.
No experience of Carthago, so can't really comment, but they look to be very nice vans.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
That's what I meant about preferring the Hymer bathroom, there is more room on the loo and in the shower, but it's not a deal breaker. The bathroom is very luxurious in the Carthago and the mirrors make it feel huge. The best bit is that they have used the saved space in the bathroom intelligently elsewhere. Ours is the smallest van we have owned on the outside, but the biggest with the biggest garage on the inside. No contest.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Just in case, Elite motorhomes in Banbury have a compactline 143 in stock, registered 2016. I think they may entertain a deal as they seem to be discounting their Cathargo stock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back