Carthago Chic i5.0 lhd 3ltr 2012 TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Salford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic 5.0i
Exp
Since 2015
That IS the question!!! Please can we have some advice...we have a Bessi E495 which has been great for us but after using her for 18 months we now realise that we would like a different layout ie island bed and drop down front bed on a quality van etc
We have tried on t'internet to research the pro's and cons of purchasing this van IN PARTICULAR...is left hand drive 'a duck egg'? Are we buying something that's going to be resalable? Is there any known problems with Carthago?? It's a lot of money and we would like some input asap please as we will have to make our minds up and pay a 4K deposit. Many thanks to all you gorgeous knowledgable people out there (did that do the trick?- I hope you are all starting to put finger to Ipad lol)
Ann & Mike (The very happy Manks!!)

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I would have thought that a left hooker would appeal more to those who travel abroad more than in the U.K.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Carthago make lovely vans. I’m sure you’d be thrilled with it. LHD should not be a resale problem. Indeed you would have the advantage of being able to sell it abroad if necessary (which you couldn’t do with RHD). Many vehicles of this size tend to be LHD. I’d prefer an automatic transmission, though.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have never read any re-sale issues with LHD.. They sell just as good as some people prefer them if travelling abroad.
Personally I am happy with RHD but that's just me..

Carthago, like any other van you can find issues if you search the web long enough,,,
It's on my possible upgrade list.. Then again so many are. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm not sure what your questions are. If you are going mostly to Europe then LHD is probably a good thing. The "probably" is because we rarely overtake anything and RHD makes it easier to hug the kerb - like road sweepers. :)

Cathargo are generally considered a quality manufacturer, the ones I've seen are all dark shiny wood inside and it must be like living in a coffin or a sauna, but clearly many folk like them. And like many continental MHs they can have tiny kitchens, not sure if this model is the same but it was suggested on here recently putting a tray on an opened drawer gave more worktop! Not sure for the price that is quite right but folk adapt and make do and forgive their MH's failings having paid so much money for them. :):reel:

Lastly, it's a big bus. If this suits your way of travelling, then go with it. On our current trip we've been on single track roads with overhanging trees but if you are happy to stick to more major roads then it will be fine.

What I'm trying to say, if clumsily on my common as muck Android tablet, is if the vehicle is what you want then go for it but bare in mind, if you are buying in the UK you could probably buy the same one in Belgium or Germany for a lot less.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
ive got a LHD rapido,there is a little bit of adjustment in your driving style , at junctions you have to get the angle right in order to have a clear view of the road ,there are also some instances where its an advantage and you make more use of your mirrors ,mines also has the 3 liter auto box, i dont know how much it effects the resale value but if you check online that may give you an idea ,i think that if you intend driving on the continent then its a bonus as id rather drive a LHD in the UK than a RHD in europe

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Can't help you with regards to the van, but I would say don't be put off by LHD. Our current van is LHD. I don't drive it, but my husband loves it. He says he finds it easier to drive than our previous van, which was RHD. Like DBK says, he's able to 'hug the kerb' on British country lanes - and avoid the overhanging trees - of which there are many where we live.
We also like to spend a fair deal of time abroad.
I don't think we'd want to go back to RHD, but of course, it's a matter of choice.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Even most of the major dealers seem to have no problem selling decent quality LHD motorhomes. You may save a bit when you buy it and lose a bit when you sell it. It's all relative. As an earlier poster said, it also gives you the opportunity to sell it to a much bigger market in Europe.

I've got a LHD Hymer and have no problems in the UK. It does more miles in France and Germany than in the UK.

Carthagos look like a decent van but usually come with a price premium.

If it ticks your boxes, go for it.
You'll regret the things you didn't do in life more than those you did do.

Mike

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I like cartago.
But here has been problems showertray e.g.
I think the problem is that certain models are not built in Germany.
Carthago Odranci / Slovenia Is where the chic c-line is built.

But 2012 should have had any problems sorted.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Nowt wrong with keggy hand drive. Keeps the wife on her toes at junctions.
As regards Carthago as a marque, a friend of ours has had his since 2000 and it still looks good :), and it's probably kept 80% of its value..

OP
OP
Ann&MikeMancs
Oct 25, 2014
Salford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic 5.0i
Exp
Since 2015
WOW :Grin:I KNEW you good folk wouldn't let us down in the advice department

You've reassured us about the LHD. We will be doing trips 'abroad' We wild camp and try to find beaches and nice places to stay. We took our Bessi E495 @23'4" around Ireland and we didn't stick to main roads in da t we did all of The Wild Atlantic Way lol Same with our recent trip to France. By the way, the van is 3 a litre, diesel automatic. Thank you all SO much for you help and advice.:Grin:Ann & Mike

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We have had a LHD for 8 years and we love it , we are looking for a new van and we both like the Carthago .

OP
OP
Ann&MikeMancs
Oct 25, 2014
Salford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic 5.0i
Exp
Since 2015
:D:DThat's the one Mel!! There doesn't seem to anything else around to compare it with unless mega expensive:gum:
Zep thanks for your comment.
We are sat here in the conservatory deliberating our 'future' and it's really looking positive to go LHD or keggy hand in the words of Mr B :clap: and a CARTHAGO. Will keep you all posted with our decision.
You are great!!!
The two happy Reds!!!:LOL:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I would say LHD is perfect.
But then again over here it is:)
IMO you will not be dissapointed with a Cartago

Mel

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Anne&MikeMan, says it's a 160BHP on the advert but it might be a Euro 5 180BHP if it was manufactured (as well as registered) in 2012.

Can't really see clearly from the photos but if the dashboard is black it'll be a180. If it's grey it'll be a 160.

The sure way to tell is look at the VIN plate under the bonnet. If the engine code is FC1E3481E then kt's a 180. Not much difference I suppose.

Looks a nice van anyway.

Mike

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Nice vans nice van we saw a couple of new ones at Newbury show on Friday the are really nicely finished.
We have a LHD Hymer Exsis and very easy to drive just need to take it gently for a week or two till you become accustomed to sitting in the wrong seat we have just done around 4000 miles in Spain,France & Portugal over winter much easier out there.
Good luck

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Forgot to say we are going to look at some A Class C & E Chics next month we want the island bed / LHD and cupbards in cab instead of drop down beds .

One thing I did notice the c line only has 2 x 80 amp batteries not sure if there is any space to put bigger ones in .

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Not sure if you're buying the Carthago on a Fiat or an Iveco chassis. Either way read up on Comformatic (Fiat) and Agile (Iveco) automatic gearboxes before you take the plunge.

If you can buy the vehicle on an Iveco with the new ZF 8 speed automatic gearbox, then you won't go far wrong.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Had a manual and a Comfortmatic 3.0 litre. Current one is manual. Give me a Comfortmatic anyday.

Also prefer Comfortmatic to full auto. Just my personal preference of course.

OP
OP
Ann&MikeMancs
Oct 25, 2014
Salford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic 5.0i
Exp
Since 2015
Ok thanks. We are looking all these terms up as we are still newbies to MH'ing, please bear with us!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have LHD would never buy a RHD now and you can sell or trade them in any country makes much more sense.

We nearly brought a Carthago a couple of years ago when we brought the current Hymer, one thing that did put us off we didn't think the shower rooms were anything like as good as Hymers and couldn't get much of a discount. Discounts are now better so now thinking about a Chic C line 4.9 or 5.0.

The Chic's are narrower than your Bessi and have flat sides which makes manoeuvering in tight spaces and reversing much easier.

Why are you prepared to put down such a high deposit down, most we have ever put down on a new van is £1100.

Reactions: f6c

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Think I know the one your looking at it looks nice

Also have a look at this site it may give you a idea on price and what used vans are going for in Germany

Broken Link Removed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
One thing I did notice the c line only has 2 x 80 amp batteries not sure if there is any space to put bigger ones in .
They are Gel batteries so are the equivelent of 110 a/h standard wet cells.
I think there is space for another 2 batteries @Robert Clark should be able to confirm I think he has 4 in his Chic 5.0.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back