Carthago C Tourer l142 QB Payload

Discussion in 'Carthargo' started by BMStewart2004, Sep 6, 2016.

1. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

We saw this at Dusseldorf and it ticks pretty much all our boxes (apart from the price hike on the €/£).
    However the literature from Carthago suggests running weight of 2835kg but the test in ProMobil suggests 3240 which doesn't leave much payload - 260kg.
    Anyone advise why the differential - if it is so low as I'm not yet 60 (next week :( ) then I'd better think about the "heavy" chassis.
    What have you owners found regards Carthago payloads?
    Cheers
    Bill

2. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Test vehicles, particularly cars, are usually supplied to journalists in 'top of the range' form.
    Perhaps the ProMobil vehicle was loaded with goodies.
    Our C-line was surprisingly light when we weighed it before loading it and had a huge payload.
    It is on the 'heavy' chassis though and we had it updated to 4500kg.

3. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Ours has the heavy chassis 4250kg I think
    Fully loaded it weighed in at 4000kg so a bit of weight to spare.

4. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

We have a Carthago C Tourer 148 - bought second hand
    We uprated to 3850 straight away after weighing it -paper exercise - No increase on rear axle limit

5. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

Thanks - how close to the 3,500kg limit were you?

6. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Can't find where we wrote weights down - but had we been full of diesel - gas and water - then we would have been over - so fine for traveling in UK - but fully loaded to go abroad we will need the extra weight limit

7. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

Ouch, thanks!! So much for Lightweight... Having said that the Carthago website Unladen Weight in Standard Condition 2640 - need to get the spreadsheet and accessory weight book out.

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. f6c

f6c Funster

I have a 138 compact-Line 3:500 Tonnes & have it up-rated to 4:250 Tonnes in full touring mode had it weighed with passenger and full tanks 4:020 Tonnes.

9. Jandc

Jandc Funster

Fully laden with water, diesel, bikes etc, but no food, wine or clothes we were 3400 kg on our Carthago c tourer 143. Well impressed after our overweight Bolero ( some of that may have been water in the floor!!)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. travelling wilbury

travelling wilbury Read Only Funster

but food, clothes, wine etc would take you way over 3500....

we have a c tourer i-148 and i am looking very hard at a Compactline 138 and have had it weighed by dealer with 25% fuel, no water (no info on anyone inside when weighed) and with loads of extras comes in at 3060.

now, if this had no driver on board, we have to add in ourselves (we are very light at 130kg total) plus the remaining fuel (70kg) plus the sat dish being added (30kg) plus the oven (20kg) plus some water (say 70kg, dont like to be hunting around and we shower in the van....) plus clothes, food, crockery, cutlery etc (25kg) plus the contents of our garage (130kg) etc, etc....

you can see where this is going.

a side benefit of the small van was to be able to run comfortably at 3500kg....

i really cant see this happening, which is a shame as the van is so easy to drive, manouvre and park.....

anyone else trying hard to run at 3500 on a similar van....?

11. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

Why are you chopping in the i-148? WHat the hell do you have in the garage that weighs 130Kg?

12. travelling wilbury

two electric bikes @ 25kg each (roughly), two sets ot fiamma ramps, bbq, electric hotplate, windbreak, chairs, foot rests, washing line, wastemaster, toilet fluids, two hoses, toolbox with allsorts in it, it soon mounts up....

OH just fancies a smaller van, we're not that keen on the twin singles but it gives lots of space (3 wardrobes etc) so a large double is good, decent garage, lounge and washroom still fine but kitchen is the compromise.....and having to get to 3500.

could just about do 3700 fairly easily but sort of defeats the object...

i think if we cant do 3500 then probably wont bother....

13. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

Get a real bike - ours are 15Kg for the pair ;)
    You certainly have a lot of stuff in there... We crossed transverse bed off due to clambering over each other in the middle of the night - hence to 142Qb which you can at least get out the bottom of. Dunno why but I feel that the twin singles wastes living space - stupid in know...
    Good luck with the weight battle (couldn't you uprate the plate to 3850?)

14. travelling wilbury

thanks for the bike and bed layout lecture....:xwink:
    single beds will take up more space than a transverse one (like yours, despite the catchy QB name....) and yours takes up more space than the 142, the downside being the smaller kitchen than we currently have.
    OH doesnt use the loo at night so no clambering, do you have an issue in that department....
    im not sure about the 3850 route, havent checked....but need to be confident before changing...

the unladen weight includes no packs, no fluids at all (fuel or water), no people etc...

packs and extras on our current (and proposed van) come to 300kg ish...
    add in 120kg water, 90kg for fuel, 150-200 for driver/passenger and theres a cool 700kg added to unladen weight so 3350+ before you actually put anything in it.....kitchen equipt, food, clothes, computer/electric stuff, sat dish, solar panels, two batteries, inverter et al...

all good fun....

15. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

The bed bit was more about my idiosyncrasies, the bike bit is self expanatory given my avatar (y)
    Nothing a good spreadsheet cant sort out with regard to weight.....
    Didn't realise the extra's added so much!
    You could always leave SWMBO behind - mind you its she who wants the new van! Hmmmmm
    Where are you thinking of buying from BTW? I was heading to Germany prior to Brexit devaluation of the £ vs € now i'm not so sure.

16. travelling wilbury

southdowns. reasonable price to change but the van has to work on weight.
    have you weighed yours?
    if not, and you are running at 3.5t, you might be surprised/shocked even with lightweight bikes, which in fact are a bit of a red herring as the big players on weight are water, fuel, people and the packs which come with every Carthago.....

17. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

My mate has a 142QB also know another owner both came out the factory at 130kg over. Works well at 3850 but very tight at 3500.
    Weight balance is good plenty of capacity on the rear axle.
    If you want to travel with a full water tank and carry bikes you will need it plated at 3850 don't let a dealer try to talk you into 3500.
    You could save a fortune buying in Belgium or Germany, crasy to buy German vans in the UK.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  18. travelling wilbury

we're currently on 4250 so no prob with weight....it may not be a do-er...