Cars suitable for towing and various questions

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Glandwr, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Hi what cars do you tow? And can anyone recommend a suitable light 4X4? I believe that some cars do not lubricate parts of their transmission while being towed? Where is the best place to look secondhand? I believe that that here I would need to dislay the van number on the back, yet notice that in Europe the car reg number seems sufficient. Any other tips also appreciated. I have to stay quite light as althought the manual version of my van can tow 2000kg the auto that I have suggests a max of 750KG.

Many thanks Dick

2. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

This topic is discussed a lot. In view of what you ask regarding lubrication and ref plates wouldn't you be better off with a trailer?

• Like Like x 1
  3. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

If 750kgs is the diff between GVW and GTW you are going to struggle to tow.
    I had the same problem with my first MH and ended up with a citoen 2cv on a custom built trailer that came in just below the weight.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Yes, I think 750kg would be a serious problem if you want to tow a 4x4. The lightest Fiat Panda 4x4 weighs 1050kg.

Can't believe the van is only rated to tow that much, even with an auto box?

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  5. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Van is a Sprinter 616 gross 5990kg in train 6740kg. HOWEVER payload is a massive 1400kg. As I say the book says that with the manual box train wt would be 7990kg. Does anyone see why I couldn't run say 250kg less than full payload and add it to the tow wt?

6. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Yes it is illegal.
    It is probably because the auto box would not be able to cope. Most vehicles with an auto box have a small oil cooler in the bottom of the normal radiator. If specified for towing from new then normally a completely seperate oil cooler is fitted in addition to the standard one to allow the gearbox to maintain its optimum working temperature & not over heat.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

What you need to be looking at is the total train weight on the VIN plate.
    the difference between the actual roadgoing weight and the train weight is your towing weight.

Quite possibly the recommended 750kg limit could be extended with the fitting of a gearox oil cooler.....though as said,750kg does sound extremely low even for an auto.

My car is an auto (torque converter, not automated clutch) and has a train weight of 4350kg.....the cars gross is 2350kg

• Like Like x 1
  8. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

The Panda 4x4 is not an option- They can not be Aframed and towed for some mechanical reason according to Towtal.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

As Pappajohn says (in a different way) the gross weight of your vehicle is the maximum that the towing unit (i.e. your motorhome) can be. The train weight is the maximum weight that can be transmitted to the road surface by all of the wheels of the unit combination (i.e. the total weight of your Motorhome and its contents (including driver and passenger) and the total weight of the towed vehicle and its contents). You do not take the gross weight away from the train weight to arrive at the weight of the trailer.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

So you are saying that if the van actually weighs say 5500kg that is irrelevant if it plated at 5990kg for calculation of the actual train wt? That it is the plated wt of all axles rather than actual wt that the law would look at?

Dick

11. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Hi, researched this to death before we opted for a Peugeot 107 5 door and a Towtal over-run braked 'A' frame - excellent. (y) Towtal make a great rear number plate frame which you clip out and then clip in a spare MoHo number plate - also supplied was a 'long vehicle' inc reflective triangles roll out rear window 'film'.

Not 4x4 though as I could find no 4x4 that comes anywhere near the train weight.

Hope it helps,

Regards

Trikeman. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. tinkering

tinkering Funster

You are getting your weights mixed up Dave [easy to do]

If you pull a Unbraked Trailer [single or double axle] Gross trailer weight of 750 kg .

If you pull a Braked Trailer you could pull a Max of 2000kg ,providing that your MAX Gross Train weight does not exceed
    7990kgs

Saying that you will be lucky to find a single axle trailer that will carry carry 2000kg

• Like Like x 1
  13. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

hello Dick

What I am saying is this:

A vehicle will have a gross weight and a train weight. The gross weight may be 5,990. The train weight may be 7,500 kgs. What this means is that when DVSA/Trading Standards or the police weigh your vehicle the total weight of the (in your case) motorhome cannot exceed 5,990 kgs. When said authorities weight the motorhome and anything towed by it then the total weight put through all of the wheels of that outfit onto the road cannot exceed 7,500 kgs. None of the individual axle weights of any part of the outfit can exceed their permitted weights either. All weights will be shown on the vehicles plate which you will find either under the bonnet near the bonnet catch, on the back wall of the engine compartment or on the door frame.

The authorities will compare the actual weight of each axle, gross and train weight against those found on the vehicle plate and, only if they are exceeded, is there a problem. Normally DVSA will allow a tolerance of 5% or a tonne before they start to get too interested.

Note, if you are found to be overweight, you can be prohibited from movement until you reduce all weights to those on the vehicle plate AND prosecuted or offered a Graduated Fixed Penalty

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shovelheadrob

Shovelheadrob Read Only Funster

As above, but also check your V5 as there may be listed a "Technical permissible maximum towable mass of the trailer" which would add a further restriction.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Although the opposite of what most people do, if the payload is more than you need you could downrate the GVW and then whatever you take off the GVW will be added to what you can tow, as the train weight remains constant.
    Would have to do it officially through DVLA though, you can't just take a few crates of beer out.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

sorry messed up

17. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Maybe I missed it, why did you want a 4x4? I would say that would severely limit you choices, and 4x4's as a general rule cannot be towed with all 4 wheels down, it'll destroy the diffs I believe.
    I would have thought a little 4 seater, on a braked trailer would be the way to go? Saw someone towing a tiny Mitsubishi the other day, that had 4 seats, couldn't see what model it was though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

So what you are saying is that if I am running below my gross wt. the amount I can tow increases upto my max train wt. ? provided no axle excedes its limit which was my original question.

19. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

reasons -
    It will be my main vehcile at home and I live where a 4x4 is very disirable. I would also want to use it on piste in Motocco

20. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

I never drive when i'm piste, too dangerous.

Sorry, couldnt resist.

• Like Like x 4