Carrying spare wheel on the Tow Bar (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My spare wheel is under our bed and restricts me from storing additional items I would like to store there.

Whilst I have a tow bar fitted, I do not yet have a trailer and it struck me it must be possible to fit the spare wheel directly onto the Tow bar ball with a simple attachment ?

Well, I've been searching on the internet and to date I am unable to find such a device. Has anyone come across such a device and if so can you provide me with details please.

Thanks in advance,

Philip

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Do you mean like this? A company called CMF engineering manufactures them.

Broken Link Removed

Steve

Broken Link Removed

Edit: Having looked at this and considered, whilst I have absolutely no engineering background, not too sure I would trust my spare wheel to this. Would it not vibrate? Risk of fracture? Not sure I would want to follow someone too close with one of these.

Last edited:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
spare wheel

Hi. I have had a very simple tow ball fitted cycle carrier, carries 3 bikes.they are much wider and jut out far more. but never a problem. think a wheel would move much less. halfords bike rack. around fithteen pounds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Edit: Having looked at this and considered, whilst I have absolutely no engineering background, not too sure I would trust my spare wheel to this. Would it not vibrate? Risk of fracture? Not sure I would want to follow someone too close with one of these.

I'm with you there, those lower unbraced 2 joints will fail some time.

One fixing at the top would make all the difference and just maybe hidden behind the wheel.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
is the a down limit on the tow ball?

Is there a down weight limit on the tow ball?

I use a wheelchair unit that clamps on to my tow ball.. bit like a bike rack unit.. works fine.. but I did have an issue on my RV as the yank Reece tow balls are designed to have heavy loads.. but not so sure about the balls on UK motorhomes and the brackets.. that carry the tow bar.. how heavy is the wheel with the tyre attached?

On my RV I have a proper continental American wheel kit and that is a substantial bit of kit with massive bolts and plates fitted at the Winnebago Factory.. you can get them from VAN shops that sell them for day vans.. there is a place in Sittingbourne in Kent that does them with the covers in metal or just canvas.

If you go to the red link below in my signature and let it load you can see what I am talkign about.

Bob

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Is there a down weight limit on the tow ball?

Yes! It's called the 'nose weight' and for my tow bar it must not exceed 90 Kg. I estimate my spare wheel is in the region of 30Kg and i'm of the view a carrier could be fabricated that would weigh no more than 15 Kg. Therefore in my case I would only be carrying an addittional 15 Kg as the spare wheel would normally be under the bed. (Of course once on the back of the motorhome it clears space for more mass to be added, which I've taken into account).

I think i might be approching some local fabricators as I have an idea which I need to persue and if it works out I'll post an update.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back