Carrying spare wheel on the Tow Bar

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by PhilandMena, Sep 25, 2012.

1. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

My spare wheel is under our bed and restricts me from storing additional items I would like to store there.

Whilst I have a tow bar fitted, I do not yet have a trailer and it struck me it must be possible to fit the spare wheel directly onto the Tow bar ball with a simple attachment ?

Well, I've been searching on the internet and to date I am unable to find such a device. Has anyone come across such a device and if so can you provide me with details please.

Thanks in advance,

Philip

2. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Do you mean like this? A company called CMF engineering manufactures them.

Link here.

Steve

[​IMG]

Edit: Having looked at this and considered, whilst I have absolutely no engineering background, not too sure I would trust my spare wheel to this. Would it not vibrate? Risk of fracture? Not sure I would want to follow someone too close with one of these.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  3. froghopper

froghopper Read Only Funster

spare wheel

Hi. I have had a very simple tow ball fitted cycle carrier, carries 3 bikes.they are much wider and jut out far more. but never a problem. think a wheel would move much less. halfords bike rack. around fithteen pounds.

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I'm with you there, those lower unbraced 2 joints will fail some time.

One fixing at the top would make all the difference and just maybe hidden behind the wheel.

5. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

is the a down limit on the tow ball?

Is there a down weight limit on the tow ball?

I use a wheelchair unit that clamps on to my tow ball.. bit like a bike rack unit.. works fine.. but I did have an issue on my RV as the yank Reece tow balls are designed to have heavy loads.. but not so sure about the balls on UK motorhomes and the brackets.. that carry the tow bar.. how heavy is the wheel with the tyre attached?

On my RV I have a proper continental American wheel kit and that is a substantial bit of kit with massive bolts and plates fitted at the Winnebago Factory.. you can get them from VAN shops that sell them for day vans.. there is a place in Sittingbourne in Kent that does them with the covers in metal or just canvas.

If you go to the red link below in my signature and let it load you can see what I am talkign about.

Bob

6. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster