Carrefour selling 'superior' diesel (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I noticed recently that Carrefour has started selling 'superior' diesel as well as the standard stuff
I'd normally avoid filling with supermarket fuel having had a bad experience once, but I've used the 'superior' stuff a couple of times now without issue.
Can't remember what they're calling it - anyone know?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I'll let you know tomorrow after we've stopped at Carrefour in Narbonne for a fill up.
I use supermarket fuel almost all the time and not had any problems yet.

Richard.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'll let you know tomorrow after we've stopped at Carrefour in Narbonne for a fill up.
I use supermarket fuel almost all the time and not had any problems yet.

Richard.
Hi Richard
Don't think they're selling it in all stores - maybe only the bigger ones
We noticed also that Carrefour have just opened a brand new petrol station opposite on the ring road near Citie Europe - bought some 'superior' diesel there the other week

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Don't know about French diesel but last 2/3 tanks have used UK supermarket juice, my impression is that I am getting less MPG.
Just a thing of mine, always keep track of it.
Emissions must be OK as I had MH MOTD Monday,
But less mpg.

Citysafe

Free Member
Jul 11, 2016
Surrey UK
Funster No
MH
A Class EuraMobil
Exp
Diesel is made to a standard. If you pay more you might feel good but what is the real difference. In Germany yesterday I saw normal 1.13e super 1.26e and something called Race diesel 1.54e.

I don't think a delivery van engine need premium fuel.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Diesel is made to a standard. If you pay more you might feel good but what is the real difference. In Germany yesterday I saw normal 1.13e super 1.26e and something called Race diesel 1.54e.

I don't think a delivery van engine need premium fuel.
Exactly. It all has to meet EN590 standard. Supermarket or branded. It frequently comes out of the same storage tankage as well. The branded stuff may have a few parts per million of an additive or two whereas the supermarket fuel has a few ppm of slightly different additives. In each case the MPG will be the same or at worst statistically insignificant differences. Someone told me the other day that he only spent £30 per week on Shell fuel where before he was spending £40 on Tesco stuff; told him to look which tankers keep pulling out of Vopak Thames terminal fully loaded and asked why people were not queueing around the block for Shell fuel (I know I would) if it was 25% better economy. Shell claim an "up to 2 litres per tankful" i.e. 4% maximum and impossible to measure outside a test rig in a lab........ Smoke and mirrors.

Superfuels are different and certainly worth using every now and again for their much better (above bare minimum) detergent qualities, if not necessarily regularly.

I've just retired from spending the last 30 years working with fuels and fuel blends/quality............. especially good old diesel fuel and heavier fuel oils

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I think all foreign fuel is better quality than here in the UK.
I have done the maths and foreign fuel gives 1.609 times more MPG then UK fuel.
I love watching the miles go by on the roadsigns and marvel at how much further I get on a tank full.:)

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
After @Robert Clark started this thread I filled up with the Carrefour 'premium'? fuel at Cite Europe to see if it made any difference to economy or performance.
For the next couple of days I had the worst mpg figures of the whole 2k mile trip.
Could have been coincidence but I don't think so. The thing that affects mpg most of all seems to be strong head winds rather than load or terrain. Those couple of days had light winds, easy low speed driving and no motorways.
I went back to cheap supermarket fuel afterwards and my usual 26mpg (ish) was restored.

Richard.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
After @Robert Clark started this thread I filled up with the Carrefour 'premium'? fuel at Cite Europe to see if it made any difference to economy or performance.
For the next couple of days I had the worst mpg figures of the whole 2k mile trip.
Could have been coincidence but I don't think so. The thing that affects mpg most of all seems to be strong head winds rather than load or terrain. Those couple of days had light winds, easy low speed driving and no motorways.
I went back to cheap supermarket fuel afterwards and my usual 26mpg (ish) was restored.

Richard.
What size engine have you got Richard?
We average about 30mpg between fill ups on 'regular' diesel, in our 150bhp, manual.

Regards
Robert

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Update - Went back to the new Carrefuour filling station opposite Cite Europe a couple of weeks ago
They also have a MH Dump Station too !!!!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I love watching the miles go by on the roadsigns and marvel at how much further I get on a tank full.:)
Dont agree...I get less mpg from a gallon in the US than I do in the UK...:)

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I noticed recently that Carrefour has started selling 'superior' diesel as well as the standard stuff
I'd normally avoid filling with supermarket fuel having had a bad experience once, but I've used the 'superior' stuff a couple of times now without issue.
Can't remember what they're calling it - anyone know?
I filled up with superior petrol a few weeks ago simply because the shell garage didn't have normal premium. I thought this would be a good time for a comparison test as I normally use supermarket normal fuel so I used shell superior at the next three fill ups. :(
Didn't notice a single improvement over that period so guess what....yep I am back using supermarket premium grade and happy to do so.(y)

The Hawthorne effect a type of reactivity in which individuals modify or improve an aspect of their behavior in response to their awareness of being observed.;)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I filled up with superior petrol a few weeks ago simply because the shell garage didn't have normal premium. I thought this would be a good time for a comparison test as I normally use supermarket normal fuel so I used shell superior at the next three fill ups. :(
Didn't notice a single improvement over that period so guess what....yep I am back using supermarket premium grade and happy to do so.(y)

The Hawthorne effect a type of reactivity in which individuals modify or improve an aspect of their behavior in response to their awareness of being observed.;)
I occasionally use the 'Superior' fuel, but not for an improvement in performance, but to hopefully help keep the engine clean.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
What size engine have you got Richard?
We average about 30mpg between fill ups on 'regular' diesel, in our 150bhp, manual.

Regards
Robert

150bhp but with an auto box.
I log our consumption on a phone app and from new we have done just under 16k miles @ 25.81mpg.
I think the mpg is improving slightly as the engine loosens up but I can't get near your 30mpg for very long. :(
Mind you, I'm not known for being a 'dawdler'. I'm usually pretty close to the speed limits and if you stick closely to the 80kph limit on single carriageway roads in France (4500kg) you will soon get an irate HGV driver right up your chuff. ;)

Richard.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
150bhp but with an auto box.
I log our consumption on a phone app and from new we have done just under 16k miles @ 25.81mpg.
I think the mpg is improving slightly as the engine loosens up but I can't get near your 30mpg for very long. :(
Mind you, I'm not known for being a 'dawdler'. I'm usually pretty close to the speed limits and if you stick closely to the 80kph limit on single carriageway roads in France (4500kg) you will soon get an irate HGV driver right up your chuff. ;)

Richard.
Hi Richard

On the motorways and major roads we do 90km (60 mph) maximum. I tend to use cruise control.
The only time it drops below 30mpg is when there's strong head winds, when it drops to 27mpg
I'm using the dashboard to give me fuel fugues - wondering if an app would be more accurate?
Which app do you use?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

:reel::reel::reel:

Nope, sorry....it is all brewed to the same standard using identical components which are mostly purchased and brought in.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Hi Richard

On the motorways and major roads we do 90km (60 mph) maximum. I tend to use cruise control.
The only time it drops below 30mpg is when there's strong head winds, when it drops to 27mpg
I'm using the dashboard to give me fuel fugues - wondering if an app would be more accurate?
Which app do you use?
That explains it

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Richard

Which app do you use?
This one:-
Fuel Economy Calculator by Corbenic Consulting

Not the best app but it works.
I think the Fiat dashboard computer is pretty accurate but I haven't done any sort of long term comparison.

Richard.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine was reliably more than 2mpg before blanking the EGR and now 1mpg over calculated

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Believing the instruments
They are notoriously optimistic
Are you suggesting that a vehicle manufacturer would mislead its customers regarding performance or fuel economy ?????

I shall carry out an experiment to test your hypotheses

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes of course they all do and not just the Germans