Carpets or not?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Trikeman, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Hi All,
    who runs with carpets fitted to the habitation area - any preferences?

Our MH has nice, sort of woodgrain flooring and also comes with a fully edged carpet set in a deep burgundy with pattern to match the curtains etc. We have never used the carpets which are wrapped up in the spare room here. I am just trying to get a 'feel' as to what peoples experiences are with regards to carpets in their MH's.

The current flooring is easy to brush out and clean with a semi-damp mop and we do use a vac too.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Trikeman. :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  2. WillH

WillH Funster

We lift the carpets for spring and summer, visiting a lot of beaches with the dog means lots of sand. Much easier to vac up off the vinyl. In autumn and winter we put the carpets down as it's much warmer.

Rgds
    Bill

• Like Like x 5
  3. Masman

Masman Funster

same as Trikeman.take out in summer:Cool:. put back in for winter.:Sad:

4. laneside

laneside Funster

Ours are as new still in the wrapping, every place we park has either sand, mud, grass or stone chippings, so much easier to sweep the vinyl out.

5. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

In our very limited experience :Wink: we've taken the lovely as new cream bound carpets out and replaced with some very cheap rugs from dunelm. I can take them out to vacumn etc no way would the cream stay looking clean otherwise. The dealer also said keeping them out until resale increased the vans value?!

I might use them as a template and cut around them on some hard wearing dark carpet, just for winter.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Peter_n_Margaret

Peter_n_Margaret Read Only Funster

We like carpet on the floor and don't get too house proud about how they look.
    We use outdoor carpet, shake it out outside every now and again, high pressure car wash once a year and chuck it out every 3 years.

Buy off cuts from the local carpet layer. Cheap as chips.

Cheers,
    Peter

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

What's outside carpet? Astro turf?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Yorick

Yorick Funster

We have grassed our camper. It's lush :Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Trikeman

I wondered what that was too :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  10. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

We are going to get some carpet from the local carpet shop, but we will also get the carpet fitter to cut it to fit exactly, which is what we did with the last van. It does make it nice and comfy on bare feet ( etc ).. :BigGrin: Mitch.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

We had some large off-cuts of vinyl from when our kitchen was done about 25 years ago (long since replaced with wood), and made a new loose-fitted covering to go on top of the original vinyl, which has never been walked on. The cream-coloured carpet that came with the van is carefully wrapped up and stored in the house. We also have a few carpet mats around in the van that can be shaken, vacced, or thrown out as appropriate.

Works for us. :thumb:

Isn't it weird how manufacturers provide plain cream carpets - about the most impractical floor covering imaginable in a camping environment. :Doh:

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  12. dogman

dogman Read Only Funster

With sand, gravel and other abrasive material I worry about the damage to the flooring surface if carpets are not down all the time, easy to change the carpet but not so easy to change the floor. Off cuts are cheap enough while keeping the nice new fitted ones wrapped up for resale.

• Like Like x 3
  13. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

When we had ours the carpets had never been down, having a number of dogs we wanted to have carpets as the dogs slip on the wood effect floor and of course its warmer and nicer to walk on, In our local independant carpet shop there was a sample book of carpet that was the exactly the spec as the original with a non slip thin rubbery backing, I took the original set in and he cut a new set for me in a similar shade and had them edged, we just take them out a 2 or 3 times a season to carpet clean them and they have stayed perfik.

Anyway why do we expect a used motorhome to have brand new carpets :Doh:

dave

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bellini

Bellini Funster

In an ideal world, we'd have preferred a wood / vinyl flooring as past experience tells us constant sweeping is essential, especially with children.

But it appears the carpets in our RMB are permanent. So I've bought a hand-held vacuum with a crevice tool for cleaning duties.

A few things here:

1. I like my interior spotless and I keep a small brush handy for crevices in all areas with special emphasis on the front, dash, vents, etc. So a vacuum with a crevice tool is rather handy and means I can clean things instantly rather than waiting until I'm home.

2. A brush doesn't get completely into the various nooks and crannies, yet a decent vacuum will (especially with my little crevice tool and detailing brush), so there's an advantage there as well. A better clean each time.

3. Carpets, even in our short time with them, DO get dirty. And they DO need cleaned properly to keep them that way. Luckily, Udo's are dark and of a very short, dense pile. So they'll be steam cleaned when the weather heats up.

4. Carpets (or lack of) aside, there's still upholstery to consider. That can't be brushed too thoroughly, although it can be effective. But vacuuming them works better in my view. When we were in Scotland in August in our hired Swift, we got sand everywhere at Clachtoll beach. Well, our children (dear, sweet things...) did. Brushing just removed 50% of the crud. The rest 'bounced' around. Hoovering would have got rid of 90% of the stuff in one hit.

On balance, though, a good wood or wood-effect flooring is more practical and stays looking good for longer between cleaning.

15. scousebird

scousebird Funster

We leave our carpets in. We took them out of one of our caravans and ended up giving brand new carpets away with the van when we sold it :RollEyes:

We then decided to always use the carpets, we vacuum each time we come home and we have a washable mat at the door. :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  16. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

I have fitted carpet in my MH I had some carpet left over from the stairs and landing, as the colour was right for the van, I have fitted this carpet on top of the original carpet, doors etc still open, and it feels more luxurious, lovely to walk on, and is warmer, I also put some in the toilet over the shower tray, easily taken out when using shower, lovely and warm in cold weather when not, can easily be taken out for steam cleaning, but I do keep a small vacuum cleaner in the van, much easier with having dogs, although when weather is really bad, I put a cover on the floor, which is then washed in the machine, as soon as I bought my van, I bought matching throws for the settees, and waterproof fitted covers for the cab seats, this arrangement worked really well in my first van, and it was as new when I sold it.
    Margaret

• Like Like x 2
  17. maz

maz Funster

Having a dog and liking to keep things simple, I took up the carpets that came with the van as soon as I got it. With a double-floored van I really don't think carpets are much use as the floor is never cold anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

:Smile:
    Can you please come round to ours and clean the carpets :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The carpets in our van were a bit tatty when we got it (van was 8 and a half years old or so then) so we binned them and bought several magic mats in various sizes. They mean we have something on the vinyl floor which is easy to clean and stops mud/wet being taken through the van.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Trikeman

Thanks for that Bellini, a good explanation which makes sense.
    We bought a Dirt Devil vac from the SW show and that's cracking, it has a 'normal' wide rotating brush/vac and also an extending pipe with small brush on the end which is great for all those little areas.
    :thumb:
    Regards,

Trikeman.:Wink: