Free Member
Oct 20, 2016
suffolk
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
Since 2016
Hi folks, I'd like to take my hymer fitted carpets in to my local carpet shop and get them to make up some new ones using the carpets as a pattern.

Apparently the foam backed carpet can discolour the Hymer vinyl floor.

So, I have the choice of felt back or hessian back.

The hessian is plush quality carpet and the felt back isn't.

Does anyone know if the rough hessian back will scratch the Hymer floor? It seems tomato quite easily

Any advice much appreciated

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We took our carpets up for safe keeping, then got some off cut, used the originals as patterns, cut them ourselves & had them professionally bound. Done this twice now, at half the cost of getting a shop to do it, think the last one was 18 months ago & cost about £80.00! It was a good Hessian backed carpet off cut

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have cut some machine washable cotton carpet to fit our van. We used to have to vax our old carpet. We just throw this in the washing machine after each trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We took our carpets to the local carper place and he decided to roughly cut and asked us to take the Moho a few days later which we did. He then placed the roughly cut carpet down and got exact size, then bound them and they are superb. Hessian backed and not the recycled plastic bottle carpets

OP
OP
richard wright

richard wright

Free Member
Oct 20, 2016
suffolk
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
Since 2016
That's pretty much what I'm having done now so fingers crossed I like it... Eek!!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And if the carpet slides about because it doesn't have that rubbery stuff on the back, you can buy some non sticky sticky material to put down between the carpet and the floor. Works a treat

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I
Does it work by magic? :D
It's, "As if"
You can buy it from carpet shops. Looks like a thin version of that stuff that's used all over the place as place settings etc.
It's got the same type of material but much thinner. Cut it to size, a little smaller than the carpet and put the carpet on top of it. The 'stuff' sticks to the floor and the carpet 'sticks to the 'stuff'.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I

It's, "As if"
You can buy it from carpet shops. Looks like a thin version of that stuff that's used all over the place as place settings etc.
It's got the same type of material but much thinner. Cut it to size, a little smaller than the carpet and put the carpet on top of it. The 'stuff' sticks to the floor and the carpet 'sticks to the 'stuff'.
Any idea what it's called? We've got a carpet down and on top we like the dirt grabbing mats we bought years ago. They really work but the mats 'walk'. We've tried rug gripping tape but absolutely no use whatsoever and that was £10 for the roll.
Tried sticky felt pads on base.
The mats are rubber backed.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Sorry, @EX51SSS You'll have to be patient as I'm not able to find out right now.
Sometime around the end of next month I'll be able to find out and will let you know.
In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes out where I am (but I don't hold out much hope.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We took our carpets up for safe keeping, then got some off cut, used the originals as patterns, cut them ourselves & had them professionally bound. Done this twice now, at half the cost of getting a shop to do it, think the last one was 18 months ago & cost about £80.00! It was a good Hessian backed carpet off cut
We got new carpet, complete with bound edges, for £60 from a local carpet shop.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Sorry, @EX51SSS You'll have to be patient as I'm not able to find out right now.
Sometime around the end of next month I'll be able to find out and will let you know.
In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes out where I am (but I don't hold out much hope.
It's not a problem at present as we're away (Switzerland) at present and not back till the meet at Misterton at end of June. Tony.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Why quote my post and underline new? Did you think I used old carpet? Mine was brand new just an off-cut!o_O:)
Sorry, only to emphasise that I got new carpet and bound edge for £60. I didn't think you would use old carpet in your van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back