crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I am new to MH and I want to know if a Carnet de Passage is required for a stay of approx. 6 months in France, Spain, Portugal, I have driven trucks all over Europe as well as cars and reading on some site I note that for motorhomes staying over in a country for a certain time a Carnet de Passage may be required, anyone know about this,

thanks in advance

crabs

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Legally, Once you are in an EU country over 90 days consecutively many require you to register as a resident. If you actually did this then the vehicle you are using would become illegal to drive as a resident cannot drive a foreign plated private vehicle ( commercials & hire employee's there is a different regime ).
Keep moving around & don't worry about it.
Any aggravation is only likely to be if there is an out vote.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
As above. Don't worry about it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
even then you dont need a carnet . if you pay the duty on entry .and get the refund on leaving .
the carnet makes it convenient thats all. back along egypt you couldnt get a carnet for so you just payed the tax and collected it back as you left . took a bit of time thats all.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It must be close on 30 years since I used a carnet de passage. They used to be issued to stop the illegal export of vehicles and trailers including caravans. It was to ensure you brought back to the UK what you had taken out and to stop you converting it into cash whilst abroad without paying import duty. If we do come out of the EU with the Brisket it wouldn't surprise me if the carnet was reintroduced. I remember the days when you had to queue up in Calais to get your carnet stamped on the way out and then the same on the way back. A good enough reason to stay in the EU me thinks :rolleyes:.
At the moment no one takes any notice of the 90 day rule, but given we leave the EU am sure there will be a clampdown on vehicles and those overstaying there time constraints.
If I choose to buy a vehicle in Europe and bring it to the UK there is no restriction or cost, only registration. The same if I want to export a vehicle to the EU. It could all change after June though, carnet de passage for France, Tankshine when entering Germany. Ooooh, am getting a headache thinking about it.

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
thanks for your replies, I plan to spend the winter months away from the U.K and the wife, well she still works anyway me I my eye's keep on closing so I recon on a fair bit of sleeping lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back