Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I am planning to polish and wax the van, I know wrong time of year. I have bought the Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Carnauba wax. The wax says not to use it on plastics so I am wondering about the Grp, the decorative stripes, and the surround to the loo cassette door? I am sure the van I saw had serious wax on all of these parts but I don't want to wreck my van. Has anybody tried the cream hair developer treatment on yellowed plastic? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I am planning to polish and wax the van, I know wrong time of year. I have bought the Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Carnauba wax. The wax says not to use it on plastics so I am wondering about the Grp, the decorative stripes, and the surround to the loo cassette door? I am sure the van I saw had serious wax on all of these parts but I don't want to wreck my van. Has anybody tried the cream hair developer treatment on yellowed plastic? Any advice would be much appreciated.
I don't know what van you have.I have a 2004 Rapido.They tell you not to wax GRP.just wash regularly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Have a look in the Detailing section (sorry but I'm using my tablet and it doesn't do links very well). Lots of info on polishing and waxing

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
My new van says in the handbook not to use wax on any part of the coach built part. It has poyester and ABS panels.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Im not an expert, I detail my own family cars.
I can't see how a wax would affect GRP

I await the answer :)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

If you are comparing to GRP cars it's not the same as a car would be painted whereas a motorhome panel would be the polyester gel coat finish, saying that after 25 years in the GRP and carbon fibre moulding business I can't think of a reason and the only thing that stopped the parts we were making sticking to the GRP moulds was the "wax".

What do they do with boats?

Martin

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
My new van says in the handbook not to use wax on any part of the coach built part. It has poyester and ABS panels.
It would be interesting to know the make and model. In my experience a lot of manufacturers only put stuff like this as a butt covering exercise.

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm no expert either i quoted what the Rapido manual reads. I am very wary of ignoring the advice.

It also reads not to wash with anything with a ph>7

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Rapido 680ff
Interesting. I have no idea how they have come to this conclusion (it was a bit difficult to read the horizontal scan)Rapido owners are some of my best customers, many requiring my rejuvenation valet (which restores faded gel coat).I can understand not using silicone based products and whole heartily agree about not using covers,.

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Just noticed in your scan it recommends using a sponge NO NO and No. Sponges can seriously damage your motorhome , use a noodle mitt instead

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Just noticed in your scan it recommends using a sponge NO NO and No. Sponges can seriously damage your motorhome , use a noodle mitt instead
I will get in touch with Rapido technical support ( a phone call ) when i get a chance.
I used Fenwicks products on my last van. Never waxed it and it looked great apart from uv affected abs skirt joint extrusion fading and shrinking.

It was 3 years old when i traded it ally body i think. Swift escape.

Upvote 0

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
In my experience the wax applied to the GRP panels of our motorhome only resulted in it appearing to 'drag in the dirt' rather than repel. Having spent sometime in my early years of ownership applying various waxes the over-cab section in particular just looked to get blacker and dirtier quicker and subsequently harder to clean than any other part of the van.

I've latterly resorted to using a Turtle Wax Marine boat cleaner on the over-cab GRP and rear GRP sections of the van and the results are becoming increasingly better with each application.

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I used Fenwicks products on my last van. Never waxed it and it looked great apart from uv affected abs skirt joint extrusion fading and shrinking..
I often advise to avoid any cleaners with motorhome or caravan in the title, generally they can be far too aggressive.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The only down side of wax on a white GRP van is that most if not all waxes do cause black streaks to appear as the dirt sticks to the wax. However it is easier to remove the dirt stuck to the wax rather than the plastic or GRP

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Interesting. I have no idea how they have come to this conclusion (it was a bit difficult to read the horizontal scan)Rapido owners are some of my best customers, many requiring my rejuvenation valet (which restores faded gel coat).
@FJmike I have a 2011 Rapido 646, the GRP body has a brilliant gloss finish but has yellowed - can your rejuvenation valet restore this back to white?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back