Free Member
Jan 15, 2009
earlswood solihull
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
9 years
Our lovely little bichon freise has cateracts in both eyes and has now gone blind we love him dearly and have had estimates of almost £4200 to have this operation carried out . Teddy is almost 16 but to us he is still our baby I feel heartbroken for him
I am torn between should I put him through it or not i can't see him suffer mutch longer it's so easy for some people who have never had a dog to say put him down
perhaps you could advise us at this very difficult time .

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
How much is his quality of life suffering?

Is he fit and well apart from the cataracts? At 16 would he be able to withstand the surgery?

Could you walk him by getting him to follow his nose?

Just trying to be helpful ..... it's such a hard decision.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure about blindness but when our labrador went deaf it did not bother him at all.

Dogs have a different view to us about life and I am sure if you show him continuing love and kindness he will get on just fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2014
Nr Whitby north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
dont have one yet
Our lovely little bichon freise has cateracts in both eyes and has now gone blind we love him dearly and have had estimates of almost £4200 to have this operation carried out . Teddy is almost 16 but to us he is still our baby I feel heartbroken for him
I am torn between should I put him through it or not i can't see him suffer mutch longer it's so easy for some people who have never had a dog to say put him down
perhaps you could advise us at this very difficult time .

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Really feel for you, it's the hardest decision anyone can make.

You have to be strong enough to do what is right for them whatever you may feel for yourself.

Your pets quality of life is paramount, as long as they have a good quality/pain free life then it's fine, they rely on their best friends to make the right decisions for them in payment for their loyalty.

16 is a great age how would the surgery affect him?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
There's no easy answer to your dilemma but, our old Collie went blind when she developed diabetis & it never bothered her at all. As long as things weren't moved in the garden or in the house she managed perfectly well. She would even run in the park, presumably because she could smell the tree's before she got to them.

Sep 10, 2014
Nr Whitby north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
dont have one yet
First of all,having two dogs of our own,I know how you are feeling.I know several people who have had cataracts removed (the oldest being 80 ) and they were all extremely happy with the result ! I know your boy is old in human years too and only you and yours can decide if this is right for him -I wish you all our very best wishes and any help we can give,if any at all.in your difficult decision.x

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Not a dog but my cat went blind in the latter stages of his life... Not a bit bothered.
Personally I feel the stress of undergoing surgery will cause your pet more stress than losing his sight.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yes - for humans they now do the cataracts in 20 minutes under local. (I've just had one done) Animals would have to have a general - which is a strain on the heart and lungs anyway whether you are 1 or 81.

I think I'd avoid generals if poss at that great age - might cause more probs than it solves quite frankly.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
one of my dogs is nearly blind but not through cataracts she was just born with eye problems. now aged nearly 5 she just gets on with life. dogs are like that though and just adapt
if you are worried maybe consider buying or making your dog a halo. This attaches to the collar and puts a ring round their face to prevent them banging their head on obstacles

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I would not risk it at his age, so long as he is happy being guided by you.
As MrAmbulancekidd says, Gemma could sniff her way about in a park, but for the first time in her life she had to be on a lead anywhere else apart from home.
But at the end of the day it is your call, you know your dog and only you can judge what the best solution is, you clearly love the wee soul and will take the best option.
Nothing anybody says is relevant unless you agree with it. x

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One down-side of getting the cataracts removed is that it could 'scare' the dog in the sense that if he can suddenly see clearly he will notice EVERYTHING - having got gradually used to things being dull to be suddenly thrust into a very bright and 'visually active' world could be very frightening.

At his age I'd leave well alone ... we've had older dogs with cataracts and they get on fine as they are - certainly IMV not worth the risk of the op on his health.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Our Bichon developed diabetes and cataracts at age 7. He had such a positive attitude that he coped well even chasing a ball with a bell in it. If the furniture was always in the same place he navigated well round the house. Sadly the diabetes was too severe in the end. We had considered eye surgery and would have gladly paid but decided not to and that was probably best for the time he had left.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back