Cards at Pay at Pump in France (1 Viewer)

Frostyfrog

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Funster No
MH
Bavaria profile
Exp
2 yrs
We spend a lot of time in France and have always been able to use our Uk cards, both debit and credit. recently we used our Uk debit card to pay for a gas bottle, then fuel, and then the card was declined when we tried to obtain 10 ltrs for the lawn mower! This was at a Super U. We looked a the bank account and there was plenty of money but the available balance did not tie in with the balance and recent transactions not yet debited. After several e mails to the bank.. The Norwich and Peterborough BS we finally got an explanation. It appears that super U take a reserve of 300€ for each pay ya the pump transaction! so whether you have 100€ or 10€ of fuel you have this invisible debit of 300€ until the transaction has been finalised between the banks, rendering you unable to use that amount of money, in your bank account, until it has been finalised! So if you are travelling a long wa over a few days and need to fill up regularly you child potentially not be able to use 1000€ of your own money.... Or your credit limit if a credit card. I am intend but take this up with Super U.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Used our Tesco credit card (points for 'Le Tunnel' :thumb:) for fuel at the Intermarche at St Pol sur Ternoise last week with no problems.
Yeah we never have a problem with tesco cc anywhere

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just filled up this morning at an unmanned Leclere station wit Mastercard. Used to have problems in the past but has been fine with any card for the last 10years. Most supermarket petrol stations are unmanned at least some of the time, and are quite a bit cheaper (possibly partly because their staff costs are lower)

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Some pre pay pumps require you to pay a figure before you draw fuel. For instance, you have to put the card in and pay 100 Euros. If for example you can only get 80 Euros in, it just takes the 80 Euros.

thanks dave that good advice i have always put in less at these pumps as i believed they would take the full amount even if i didnt fill to that

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back