Carbon Monoxide?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ecky, Nov 8, 2014.

1. ecky

ecky Read Only Funster

I have just bought a Coleman Unleaded fuel lamp for use in the Motorhome on the dark nights. I am now wondering if it will give off Carbon Monoxide in the van. Has anyone used these in a closed space ?

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

It certainly will....but you may not wake up to see if it did.

DO NOT use indoors....even if ventilated.
    the risk isnt worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. icantremember

icantremember Funster

From the Coleman website ........

"Indoor use of Coleman® burning fuel appliances
    Your Coleman® stove and lantern using liquid fuel or propane are designed for outdoor use only. All fuel appliances (Stoves and Lanterns) should be used outdoors in well-ventilated"..

4. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Not the best idea.

5. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes they give off CO.. and as pointed out, the instructions say only to use outdoors..

I have two old Tilley lanterns I use for camping and at home for power cuts .. but only used with good ventilation .. ie at least two windows open.

Tilley table versions were made for indoors.. maybe they didn't know about CO poisoning or else houses had so many drafts they never thought it a risk.
    By comparison, modern homes are almost air tight..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Movinon

Movinon Funster

I've used open gas propane heaters when necessary in motorhomes, including the flowerpot solution on the cooker. I've usually had a window and roof vent open and never done it when when I'm in bed. I also have a CO alarm, which has never gone off although I test it regularly. Not crazy about the fumes from such devices anyway so I wouldn't recommend it on that score alone. I have a friend whose only source of heating is a single flowerpot on the cooker and he's been doing this for years. I had to buy him a CO alarm. He was sceptical on the basis that he didn't die yesterday so he's unlikely to die tomorrow.

I remember in one van I owned it was the only source of heating. Not happy with the fumes I stacked 6 flowerpots in a column above the cooker until they reached the extractor fan, leaving the flowerpot holes unblocked. This produced a good heat with the cooker on its lowest setting and the fumes were extracted at the top by the fan. Because of the extraction fan I was able to keep the windows closed and just left the roof vents open. Unfortunately extractor fans seem to be going out of fashion. Why? If manufacturers thought we needed them before why do they think we do not need them now?

These things can give off CO as well as other unpleasant stuff. You do take a serious risk by using such methods and I would not recommend them if there is any other alternative available.

8. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

An appliance burning with a completely blue flame gives off no CO. It does, however, use up oxygen & replaces it with CO2. When there's enough CO2 you will suffocate but long before that the appliance will have insufficient oxygen to burn correctly, the flame will turn yellow, and it will give off CO. CO is poisonous. CO2 is harmless but displaces oxygen. Any modern flueless appliance (including some domestic fixed gas heaters) will have an oxygen depletion sensor that shuts off the appliance before it starts to produce CO.

• Like Like x 2
  9. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Maybe they think we all have more sense than to use stuff we know we shouldn't??? Like, stuff that could kill us???

10. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Wow thats the prettiest tilley I've ever seen and coming from the F/islands, I've seen a few(y)

11. ecky

ecky Read Only Funster

Got the message everyone....Thanks.
    P.s Anyone looking to buy a Coleman lamp?
    Ecky.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Already have 3 coleman lamps, wouldn't be without them for sitting outside on a warm evening.
    For indoors, you could get one of THESE
    Use the Coleman outside so you can see when your wine glass needs topping up.
    Allan

13. Movinon

Movinon Funster

Extractor fans over cookers are used to remove steam from cooking, and cooking smells. Where do they imagine that steam goes now? As for other uses I suggest informed adults are free to make their own choices.

14. sedge

sedge Funster

Pete owns both a Coleman unleaded petrol stove and a lamp - bosting to take camping in a tent cos you do your cooking outside and stand the lamp either outside or just by the - open! - doorway of the tent/bivvy.

Used to take that stove when camping on the bike - used to siphon some petrol out of the Blackbird tank when the stove needed filling! Ace thing to take because they are comparatively tiny, and in use again this last year on the lake bank whilst they were fishing.

The glass shades of the lamps get exceedingly hot so 'inside' is not a good idea one way or the other, even if the CO2 problem wasn't an issue.

15. sedge

sedge Funster

I then tried to add

In any event, even though the solid plastic carrying case for the lamp is sturdy it is also quite large and all that shaking about on bumpy roads/camping areas will probably mean the mantle gets broken more often, and will the shade withstand it all for long?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Aint gonna tell you how we keep warm in winter during the night..
    All you lot will be up in arms and telling me we are gonna die..
    But 7 years on and we aint dead yet ( but I do have a DECENT CO2 detector fitted and am so paranoid I check it almost daily and replace the battery very regularly ! )

17. olley

olley Funster

Your gonna die! :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

See !!!! I bloody knew it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2