Carbon Monoxide?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ecky, Nov 8, 2014.

  1. ecky

    ecky Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Southampton
    I have just bought a Coleman Unleaded fuel lamp for use in the Motorhome on the dark nights. I am now wondering if it will give off Carbon Monoxide in the van. Has anyone used these in a closed space ?
     
  2. pappajohn

    pappajohn Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2007
    Messages:
    29,471
    Likes Received:
    16,926
    Location:
    YO11 2BD
    It certainly will....but you may not wake up to see if it did.

    DO NOT use indoors....even if ventilated.
    the risk isnt worth it.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  3. icantremember

    icantremember Funster

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2010
    Messages:
    5,059
    Likes Received:
    7,110
    Location:
    Nr Watton in Norfolk
    From the Coleman website ........

    "Indoor use of Coleman® burning fuel appliances
    Your Coleman® stove and lantern using liquid fuel or propane are designed for outdoor use only. All fuel appliances (Stoves and Lanterns) should be used outdoors in well-ventilated"..
     
  4. Badknee

    Badknee Funster

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2014
    Messages:
    3,642
    Likes Received:
    15,266
    Location:
    notloB
    Not the best idea.
     
  5. sdc77

    sdc77 Funster

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2013
    Messages:
    2,487
    Likes Received:
    2,895
    Location:
    East london
  6. scotjimland

    scotjimland Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2007
    Messages:
    28,934
    Likes Received:
    25,574
    Location:
    .
    yes they give off CO.. and as pointed out, the instructions say only to use outdoors..

    I have two old Tilley lanterns I use for camping and at home for power cuts .. but only used with good ventilation .. ie at least two windows open.

    Tilley table versions were made for indoors.. maybe they didn't know about CO poisoning or else houses had so many drafts they never thought it a risk.
    By comparison, modern homes are almost air tight..

    [​IMG]
     
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Movinon

    Movinon Funster

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Messages:
    280
    Likes Received:
    305
    Location:
    UK
    I've used open gas propane heaters when necessary in motorhomes, including the flowerpot solution on the cooker. I've usually had a window and roof vent open and never done it when when I'm in bed. I also have a CO alarm, which has never gone off although I test it regularly. Not crazy about the fumes from such devices anyway so I wouldn't recommend it on that score alone. I have a friend whose only source of heating is a single flowerpot on the cooker and he's been doing this for years. I had to buy him a CO alarm. He was sceptical on the basis that he didn't die yesterday so he's unlikely to die tomorrow.

    I remember in one van I owned it was the only source of heating. Not happy with the fumes I stacked 6 flowerpots in a column above the cooker until they reached the extractor fan, leaving the flowerpot holes unblocked. This produced a good heat with the cooker on its lowest setting and the fumes were extracted at the top by the fan. Because of the extraction fan I was able to keep the windows closed and just left the roof vents open. Unfortunately extractor fans seem to be going out of fashion. Why? If manufacturers thought we needed them before why do they think we do not need them now?

    These things can give off CO as well as other unpleasant stuff. You do take a serious risk by using such methods and I would not recommend them if there is any other alternative available.
     
  8. tonyidle

    tonyidle Funster

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2013
    Messages:
    2,872
    Likes Received:
    2,693
    Location:
    Kendal, Cumbria
    An appliance burning with a completely blue flame gives off no CO. It does, however, use up oxygen & replaces it with CO2. When there's enough CO2 you will suffocate but long before that the appliance will have insufficient oxygen to burn correctly, the flame will turn yellow, and it will give off CO. CO is poisonous. CO2 is harmless but displaces oxygen. Any modern flueless appliance (including some domestic fixed gas heaters) will have an oxygen depletion sensor that shuts off the appliance before it starts to produce CO.
     
    • Like Like x 2
  9. CWH

    CWH Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2,704
    Likes Received:
    10,189
    Location:
    under a wand'rin' star
    Maybe they think we all have more sense than to use stuff we know we shouldn't??? Like, stuff that could kill us???
     
  10. wizzer59

    wizzer59 Funster

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2009
    Messages:
    2,882
    Likes Received:
    2,685
    Location:
    Englishman in Mid Wales

    Wow thats the prettiest tilley I've ever seen and coming from the F/islands, I've seen a few(y)
     
  11. ecky

    ecky Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Southampton
    Got the message everyone....Thanks.
    P.s Anyone looking to buy a Coleman lamp?
    Ecky.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Allanm

    Allanm Funster

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2013
    Messages:
    3,044
    Likes Received:
    4,110
    Location:
    Cotes d'armor, France
    Already have 3 coleman lamps, wouldn't be without them for sitting outside on a warm evening.
    For indoors, you could get one of THESE
    Use the Coleman outside so you can see when your wine glass needs topping up.
    Allan
     
  13. Movinon

    Movinon Funster

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Messages:
    280
    Likes Received:
    305
    Location:
    UK
    Extractor fans over cookers are used to remove steam from cooking, and cooking smells. Where do they imagine that steam goes now? As for other uses I suggest informed adults are free to make their own choices.
     
  14. sedge

    sedge Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Messages:
    4,501
    Likes Received:
    3,859
    Location:
    Nr Jct 3 M6
    Pete owns both a Coleman unleaded petrol stove and a lamp - bosting to take camping in a tent cos you do your cooking outside and stand the lamp either outside or just by the - open! - doorway of the tent/bivvy.

    Used to take that stove when camping on the bike - used to siphon some petrol out of the Blackbird tank when the stove needed filling! Ace thing to take because they are comparatively tiny, and in use again this last year on the lake bank whilst they were fishing.

    The glass shades of the lamps get exceedingly hot so 'inside' is not a good idea one way or the other, even if the CO2 problem wasn't an issue.
     
  15. sedge

    sedge Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Messages:
    4,501
    Likes Received:
    3,859
    Location:
    Nr Jct 3 M6
    I then tried to add

    In any event, even though the solid plastic carrying case for the lamp is sturdy it is also quite large and all that shaking about on bumpy roads/camping areas will probably mean the mantle gets broken more often, and will the shade withstand it all for long?
     
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jaws

    Jaws Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2008
    Messages:
    18,347
    Likes Received:
    21,700
    Location:
    Narrfoook
    Aint gonna tell you how we keep warm in winter during the night..
    All you lot will be up in arms and telling me we are gonna die..
    But 7 years on and we aint dead yet ( but I do have a DECENT CO2 detector fitted and am so paranoid I check it almost daily and replace the battery very regularly ! )
     
  17. olley

    olley Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2007
    Messages:
    3,713
    Likes Received:
    2,107
    Location:
    Ipswich
    Your gonna die! :LOL:
     
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Jaws

    Jaws Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2008
    Messages:
    18,347
    Likes Received:
    21,700
    Location:
    Narrfoook
    See !!!! I bloody knew it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
     
    • Like Like x 2
Loading...

Share This Page