carbon monoxide (1 Viewer)

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
does any one know if a fault with the leisure battery can cause fumes that will set off a carbon monoxide alarm ,basically carbon monoxide alarm keeps going off tried turning off one appliance at a time and i thought it was the fridge but all appliances are turned off and the c/m alarm is still going off i tried putting the alarm in with the leisure battery and it went up to 260 ppm in a short time anybody got any thoughts on this ,there is a steca charge unit for the solar panel that has eol fault code which is leisure battery voltage low but i cant seem to reset the unit anybody got a steca 1010 gharge unit for there solar panel thanks in advance

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I think that Electrochemical carbon monoxide sensors are cross sensitive to hydrogen so that may be the cause. Could be the regulator is playing up?

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
i did wonder whether the regulator was playing up as we tried to get rid off the e07 error code and could not do it its just a bit worrying when the cm alarm keeps going off maybe some off the electrical guys could give an opinion as dont know whether its safe to use it or not must admit the cm alarm doesnt seem to go off when theres no sun so you could be right thanks for your help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, they can be sensitive to the gases given off by a charging battery (hydrogen and / or hydrogen sulphide for instance). That is how i discovered that one of my original gel habitation batteries had failed a few years ago. One of the reasons why it is a good idea to vent any internally fitted battery, whether or not it is a sealed type.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I would be tempted to try your CM alarm unit in another van for 30 minutes or so to see if the activations stop. Vise versa, borrow a fellow campers to test if the problem does lay in your van. It then confirms whether your alarm is at fault or not and/or if you indeed have a problem in your van.
With regards to the battery gasses, I would have thought you would smell the usual acrid acidic smell if your battery was over gassing, but I always thought occurred when higher charge voltage was the problem yet you say the charge unit indicates low battery volts (Possibly a cell or 2 failed in your battery). It may be worth checking the temperature (does it feel hot) and the voltage at the battery terminals with a tester for a definite reading, then pull the fuse to disconnect the Stecca charge unit, leave a few moments for surface charge to subside, then test the battery voltage again, by doing that you will have an idea of both the battery and the Stecca charging volts.
The usual thing is to work through a process of elimination, however, I have just notice the post above and tend to agree, this could be down to a failing battery. That would explain low voltage fault and overgassing. I wasn't aware the CM alarm could detect battery gasses, but that would explain the activations and is surely benefitial to us all.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can anyone tell me how these work, I have one from new off eBay but don't know if it's working or not it hasa digital display that always says 0 but if you press the check button it screeches and says 81 on the display, but other than that never seen any different number or anything on it, would it always be 0 even when cooking and gas heater on, it has a led that lights up every so often.
This is the one
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
cm alarm

thanks for your reply Wickload i have tried another cm alarm which has been in another van and it too is showing high readings so i have more or less ruled out the alarm i must admit i thought i could smell something when i opened the van door yesterday but i have not got a real good sense of smell i will try the battery voltage but i could not find anywhere to isolate the solar panel regulator there is a small fuse box but turning it off does not seem to turn off the steca unit display is still visible so not sure there so i will have to borrow a meter to see if the battery is low on power or is it the steca that has failed its funny loking at the post icons the steca unit has a grumpy face like this one so i know something is not right:

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi, don't know if you have the manual handy or not, but just found this. There is a section that covers a sequence for the Stecca to perform a self test and the numerous fault codes and operation

http://www.batterystuff.com/manuals/manual-PR1010.pdf

Hope you get sorted, Lance

Last edited:
OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
cm alarm

thats the one Wickload. i have the manual Simbadog pointed me in the right direction but i cant seem to reset the fault code so im assuming that the steca unit is faulty

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
That I would think would be dependent on whether the fault was still there or had been removed. If the battery is at fault and still connected to the Steca charge control unit, the unit will still see the fault and not reset. Probably the easiest way is to connect a battery known to be good, just swop with yours for a few minutes. Then try reset and then this will indicate battery or charger. Hope this helps, I know its messing around with heavy batteries but better that than an expensive mistake.
Lance

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
cm

by the way how do i tell if the battery is shot ounce i get a multimeter is it just a case off the voltage being below 12v can any body elaborate as electric is a black art to me thanks in advance

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If one of more cells in the battery have failed, it is likely to be noticeably warm when charging. If a failed cell is likely, I would leave the door open whilst charging to check it and ensure there are no sources of sparks nearby.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if the battery reads low even after charge, that is a first indication of a failed battery. the production of hydrogen sulphide caused by trying to charge a bad battery which will set off a carbon monoxide alarm will prove it

dont forget hydrogen sulphide is an explosive gas, so be very careful disconnecting and changing the battery. if in doubt have it done by a professional for your own safety and to protect your van. not being condescending by the way, but as you needed to ask it indicates a lack of knowledge of how batteries work:thumb:

Tmesis

Free Member
Mar 28, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
I might be missing the plot here, but the diagnostic seems simple. Take the unit into the open air and see if it alarms. If it doesn't then it is not faulty. Put it back into the van and if it alarms then you have gas in the van. Then shove it in the battery compartment and see if it goes berserk.

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
cm alarm

yes ive already done that and it did go beserk but does that tell us iff the battery is itself faulty or is the charger unit over charging and making the battery faulty

Tmesis

Free Member
Mar 28, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
yes ive already done that and it did go beserk but does that tell us iff the battery is itself faulty or is the charger unit over charging and making the battery faulty

Either the battery has a duff cell or the charger is overcharging the battery. You could check that your charger is set to the correct battery technology (agm/gell/wet). or maybe you have a standard non-sealed lead acid battery that has not been externally vented.

Also, does the co alarm go off when driving after the battery has been used? If the battery doesn't gas when being charged by the alternator I'd rule out the battery being bad.

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
CO alarm

Do I understand this post is about the CO alam goes off and the leasure battery is suspected of being the cause?, if so shouldnt leasure batteries have a small vent tube on them which should be vented outside the vehicle, I must admit I havnt looked recently as the last one I purchased was for the caravan we used to have and that had a plastic tube that I had to feed through the floor to open air.

Just a thought

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Do I understand this post is about the CO alam goes off and the leasure battery is suspected of being the cause?, if so shouldnt leasure batteries have a small vent tube on them which should be vented outside the vehicle, I must admit I havnt looked recently as the last one I purchased was for the caravan we used to have and that had a plastic tube that I had to feed through the floor to open air.

Just a thought

Yes - see my first post above. Always a good idea to vent any internal battery if possible.

Keef

Free Member
Jul 25, 2010
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
15 Years
Alarm

I had the same problem and discovered it was the leisure battery failing while on charge and giving off gas that was odourless. :thumb:

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
cm alarm

dont know whether ive sorted the fault the battery was set on the li setting instead off the gel setting hope this sorts it but controler is still saying eo7 code which is low battery charge which i checked and it is saying 13,4 ive just got a feeling that both battery and contoller will be shot i felt the battery when solar was working and battery was cool to the touch so i dont know

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
cm alarm

well that didnt do any good cm alarm is still going of i dont know whether its the battery or the charger any more ideas

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If one or more battery cells have failed, it won't matter what settings you change, the battery will gas when being charged.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back