Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am sure the answer to my question is posted somewhere on Fun but if I start searching for it I will get distracted and forget what I was looking for...

Bearing in mind that people other than me use the Hymer, I feel I should invest in a carbon monoxide detector.

Which is the best one and from where?

Thanks in advance.

JJ

...my old sensor (the budgie) escaped through a window which was not slammed on him halfway through...

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Got ours from Lloyds the chemist - they had them on special offer - very good - long way to come and get one though JJ - If you want we can find out if they still have them and price and ship one out to you probabaly cheaper than where you are .

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Can't say I know the make of the one fitted in ours.

However it is a Carbon Monoxide and LPG / Butane / Propane sensing one.

So a bit of a multi tasker. Sits next to the normal smoke / heat detector about the overhead cupboard.

Both are battery powered and the battery lasts about 9-10 months in it.

The price difference is a bit though I believe with the Carbon monoxide only ones being around £25 and the multi sensing ones £60+

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
No JJ, Thank you....

Got a fire angel sitting on the mantlepiece here and as I know there are a couple of different types and principles of operation, I thought I would find out what type it was.

So i picked it up and found the battery was missing and it was little more than an extra surface for the dust to settle on !!

Top of tomorrows shopping is BATTERIES !!!

Could have been a statistic here.

Peter
#

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Pity you missed Link Removed about 6 weeks ago JJ. The alarms are back up to £14.99 at LLoyds now. As mentioned above, probably cheaper for you to get one locally.

Do you have Aldi & Lidl there? I think they have them in pretty regularly.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Can't say I know the make of the one fitted in ours.

However it is a Carbon Monoxide and LPG / Butane / Propane sensing one.

So a bit of a multi tasker. Sits next to the normal smoke / heat detector about the overhead cupboard.

Both are battery powered and the battery lasts about 9-10 months in it.

The price difference is a bit though I believe with the Carbon monoxide only ones being around £25 and the multi sensing ones £60+

I got one of these from Harringtons near Chester, it was on offer about £14 and I hardwired it in. The instructions stated it should be mounted about 1ft from the floor to be effective (butane /propane heavier than air) so I'm surprised yours is mounted above an overhead cupboard.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant see the point of combined CO and propane/butane detectors.

propane and butane are heavy gases (hence floor drop vents) and CO is a light gas (3% lighter than air.)

put it high for CO and low for propane/butane

convected air currents may move the latter around a bit but possibly not enough for a ceiling mounted detector to 'see'

mine is a combined CO and smoke alarm...ceiling mounted.

the LPG alarm is standard RV equipment which also controls the electronic gas valve at the bulk tank and is mounted at floor level.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Just checked and it is the first time I have looked at it closely.

There is a wire that comes out and disappears behind some trim. Further down the trim is what looks like a remote sensor from what I can guess.

So it looks like it does both afterall.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back