Carbon Monoxide Poisoning (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I'm completely new to all this. I don't have a heater or anything as sophisticated as that. The only thing is the gas hob. Do I need one?:whatthe:

Definitely - Hobs can be really dangerous especially when used to heat the van or used in any confined space

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Yours is a very small van so be even more carefull, only use the hob for cooking and make sure you have enough ventilation. Be safe but don't worry.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bullrush

Free Member
Aug 11, 2012
gosport
Funster No
MH
Rapido c class
Exp
20 yrs
Carbon Monoxide

This gas is so dangerous....Part of my job before I retired was an operator on a hyperbaric chamber in Hampshire. These chambers are used to treat people who come into contact with Carbon Monoxide. We have seen some very sad cases where people have died just because of no fault of their own.
This gas is a KILLER, these alarms are more important that a fire alarm.

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Is gas different now.

I can remember caravanning years ago when our only lights were gas mantles.don't remember many people any ill effects from using gas then. There were no such alarms about in those days. But there is a definite danger of carbon monoxide poisoning these days just seems strange. Keep healthy all.

presto

Free Member
Jul 3, 2010
n Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
Near us twenty years ago in a local beauty spot a couple both married but not to each other.Were found dead in a camper van from carbon monoxide poisoning.Remember local press had a fild day so sad.Presto

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
All cold weather campers, please don't forget to check your Carbon Monoxide detectors. They do have a finite life and need renewing every few years. If you have not got one, they cost around £25 but are definitely worth having. When you check your detectors take the time to check and the vents and flues are not obstructed. In addition have your heaters, boilers Fridges and gennies serviced regularly.

Known as the silent killer, Carbon Monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas produced by incomplete burning of fuel, such as propane, petrol, natural gas, wood and charcoal. If we inhale enough of it we will die. Symptoms of
Carbon Monoxide poisoning include nausea, fatigue, headaches, dizziness, breathing difficulty and confusion -- but they are general enough to be confused with the flu so be aware of this.

You also go a nice pink colour which is the more visual indication that you are being poisoned.

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Does anyone have any information about how many people have died in their motorhomes over the years because of carbon monoxide poisoning?

JJ :Cool:

206 between 2001 - 2002 in New Zealand :Eeek::Eeek: (Not sure if its MH)

Link Removed

Interesting link re effects of gas

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup.. having checked on it all, I agree CO is indeed lighter than air so my entire argument is all tosh and I retract it !!

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
Boiler/Heater vent to Awning

I don't know if this has been raised, a search produced nowt.
My boiler/heating gas vent is on our habitation side, just got a drive away awning and of course the the exhaust now vents into the awning.
We have a new carbon monoxide detector inside the van and have had an annual habitation check, but what about the outside vent?
I know that if gas burns completely then things should be OK, but what happens if things go wrong?
I note that some MH have roof mounted exhausts, is a conversion possible?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I don't know if this has been raised, a search produced nowt.
My boiler/heating gas vent is on our habitation side, just got a drive away awning and of course the the exhaust now vents into the awning.
We have a new carbon monoxide detector inside the van and have had an annual habitation check, but what about the outside vent?
I know that if gas burns completely then things should be OK, but what happens if things go wrong?
I note that some MH have roof mounted exhausts, is a conversion possible?
the boilers that vent through the wall are basically a balanced flue system, and the fresh air to burn the gas comes in through part of the vent from outside. you cannot pipe this vent up to the roof

always be cautious putting an awning over such a vent, especially if somebody sleeps in the awning. if they do, best to only use electric heating and not gas

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
[QUOTE=Hillbum;834072]I don't know if this has been raised, a search produced nowt.
I know that if[HI] gas burns completely then things should be OK,[/HI] but what happens if things go wrong?
I note that some MH have roof mounted exhausts, is a conversion possible?[/QUOTE]

You cannot safely change the flue, unless designed by the manufacturer.

Gas, in practice, does not burn completely.

Not only should gas vents not be enclosed in an awning, they should not be even close to an obstruction (awning wall for instance) on the OUTSIDE

As BIG 1 says - if any doubt use electric not gas ...........better cold than dead

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We have put two carbon monoxide detector in our new to us van one in the living aria near to wear jay sleep’s and one in the bedroom well worth the money £50 money well spent as we used the van all year round:thumb:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Moisture meters

What if any moisture meters to do you have
I have a sealey AK2020 which has a digital readout up to 22% but would like one which actually shows readings above this and comes with an extension lead of some kind to get into difficult places

Last edited:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
The silent killer

Many years ago while in the merchant navy I came up from the engine room at the end of my shift and was having a beer talking to my partner saying, look at that lazy lot down in a hold, always sleeping. With the help of a diesel powered loader they were moving grain or not because as we looked no one was moving. And they never did again; I was 22 and was looking at 17 dead people. It took just minutes for them to suffocate.

Arnica

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
Bolton le Sands Carnforth
Funster No
MH
Geist Touring 652 C Class
Exp
Nine years
We have put two carbon monoxide detector in our new to us van one in the living aria near to wear jay sleep’s and one in the bedroom well worth the money £50 money well spent as we used the van all year round:thumb:

ALDI have them in recently at £13.99 ::bigsmile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Many years ago while in the merchant navy I came up from the engine room at the end of my shift and was having a beer talking to my partner saying, look at that lazy lot down in a hold, always sleeping. With the help of a diesel powered loader they were moving grain or not because as we looked no one was moving. And they never did again; I was 22 and was looking at 17 dead people. It took just minutes for them to suffocate.

:Eeek::Eeek::whatthe::whatthe::cry:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
carbon monoxide detectors

Hi I just googled for one and found what seems quite a good one at Tesco for £19 lasts 7 years on the same battery ! has a tester and led's to tell you it is working. They have a similar one that needs a new battery every year for £11 so pays your money.....:Smile:

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
206 between 2001 - 2002 in New Zealand :Eeek::Eeek: (Not sure if its MH)

Link Removed

Interesting link re effects of gas
An interesting article indeed, some very sobering figures quoted, for those who have not read it I suggest you do.:Eeek:

captain

Free Member
Apr 1, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Hymer S700
Exp
since 2005
Just an added thought. When we first bought our Motorhome I fitted carbon monoxide sensor after a couple of local trips out we had a weekend at York, we were awoken at 4 am our alarm went off, I opened the doors, automatic response checked and found our leisure battery had boiled causing Hydrogen gas to enter living space, so it was well worth the money.

Cap't

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Back on the road after a 4 yr break
All cold weather campers, please don't forget to check your Carbon Monoxide detectors. They do have a finite life and need renewing every few years. If you have not got one, they cost around £25 but are definitely worth having. When you check your detectors take the time to check and the vents and flues are not obstructed. In addition have your heaters, boilers Fridges and gennies serviced regularly.

Known as the silent killer, Carbon Monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas produced by incomplete burning of fuel, such as propane, petrol, natural gas, wood and charcoal. If we inhale enough of it we will die. Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning include nausea, fatigue, headaches, dizziness, breathing difficulty and confusion -- but they are general enough to be confused with the flu so be aware of this.
Thanks for the reminder, please clarify re symptoms: Is this man flu or real flu?

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
carbon monoxide detectors

Hi I just googled for one and found what seems quite a good one at Tesco for £19 lasts 7 years on the same battery ! has a tester and led's to tell you it is working. They have a similar one that needs a new battery every year for £11 so pays your money.....:Smile:
I believe the sensors only last a certain amount of time. 7 years rings a bells for some reason.

I just don't understand why M/H manufacturers have to install smoke alarms, but not CO alarms. Or, why folk are happy to spend huge amounts of money on a M/H, but not another twenty quid on something that could save their life.

frank550

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
My good lady has spent a week in hospital with what we thought was gastro enteritis...turned out to be CO poisoning from a faulty valve in the car (CO poisoning has very similar symptoms), she had driven thousands of miles in the week preceding...lucky to still be here!

Very nasty CO, please everyone check your alarms, monitors etc.

I have 3 in my MH, one for smoke, one for CO and one for LPG.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
don,t forget your home while you,re at it.Got the home boiler under a maintenance contract and had a 12 month checkup,one of the questions asked,"do you have a carbon monoxide detector?",yes was the answer got one at the same time as the one in the M-home.
box Ticked.

Reactions: GJH

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I may have a faulty detector......?

It is brand new, I think we got it from B and Q, can't remember. It is a model CO-FA-9B First Alert Carbon Monoxide Alarm.

It went off a couple of mornings ago and woke us from our sleep. I jumped up and opened all the windows etc, then started thinking...... nothing is on except the pilot light on the water heater????

So last night before bed I turned off all gas appliances. Nothing was on.
This morning we are woken by the alarm again. I could not turn it of!!! I removed the batteries and went back to sleep!!!
I am still not dead, so I assume we have no CO in the van, and a faulty detector!

Anyone have any clue what might be going on, or is it really as simple as a faulty bit of electrics?

Apr 10, 2012
Warks / Leics border
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I had exactly the same problem. Turned out to be a knackered leisure battery boiling and giving off hydrogen. Apparently CO detectors will also pick that up. Could be an explosion risk so I would check it out.

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
I had exactly the same problem. Turned out to be a knackered leisure battery boiling and giving off hydrogen. Apparently CO detectors will also pick that up. Could be an explosion risk so I would check it out.

We were at home charging a battery in the utility room. Our detector went off and it was the battery overcharging. Turns out our charger faulty and we've renewed it now. So check it out as the fumes are deadly from an overcharged battery and yes definite risk of explosion if left.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back