Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I know I beat this drum a lot
But while having a fantastic weekend way with the van I met a lovely couple with a motorhome
while chatting to them they were saying how unwell they had been feeling while in the van time to ask a few questions. mmmm do you use your gas heating
yes is there plenty of ventilation blank expression mind if I have a look

carbon monoxide detector no:Eeek: any way to cut a long story short I put one of my detectors in the van they cam to mine for a wet
left there van closed up with detector on went back after fifteen min detector gowing off
they had a lucky escape
they are now spending the night on oxygen therapy
I have given them a monoxide detector out of my van and told them if they want to kill there shelf go a head but don't kill there lovely two children
if you don't have one :swear: get one please :Angry:
bill

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I know I beet this drum a lot
but while having a fantastic weekend way with the van I met a lovely copal with a motorhome
while chatting to them they were saying how unwell they had been feeling whil in the van time to ask a few questions mmmm do you use your gas hating
yes is there plenty of ventilation blank expression mind if I have a look
carbon monoxide detector no:Eeek: any way to cut a long story short I put one of my detectors in the van they cam to mine for a wet
left there van closed up with detector on went back after fifteen min detector growing off
they had a lucky escape
they are now spending the night on oxygen therapy
I have given them a monoxide detector out of my van and told them if they want to kill there shelf go a head but don't kill there lovely two children
if you don't have one :swear: get on please :Angry:
bill
Best advice ever mate. Well done
The silent killer will get them if they do not get a detector
Cheers bill

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
A Carbon Monoxide Detector is absolutely essential wherever gas powered appliances are in use. Good advice from you Bill, well done.

Brisey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
It must be ignorance on the part of people. No matter how much publicity there is people still do not understand about the silent killer. They spend thousands on a motorhome and the all singing and dancing accessories but miss out on a few pounds for the life saving equipment.
Well spotted Bill. :thumb:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I have just read that 30% of imported CO2 detectors dont work.

So its also not worth fitting a cheap unit.

But the University of Gent has just said most work too late.
By the time they go off you are already unable to move.

So what models do the Funsters fit.

Anybody have any test reports?

Mel

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ours in the van is a First Alert branded one. The one in the house is a Kidde (we had a similar one in our other van).

Those are both reputable brands manufacturing to appropriate British Standards.

They are also inexpensive these days compared to only a few years ago so not worth going for cheaper ones where safety is concerned.

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
First thing that I put in the van when I got it
Me as well, the next was a smoke detector, small change when you consider the investment made in a MH, both should be fitted as standard and part of MOT IMHO.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have just read that 30% of imported CO2 detectors dont work.

So its also not worth fitting a cheap unit.

But the University of Gent has just said most work too late.
By the time they go off you are already unable to move.

So what models do the Funsters fit.

Anybody have any test reports?

Mel

Its CO carbon monoxide, not CO2 carbon dioxide.

D.

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi,

Thanks for the timely post, I was just about to look for one before the Morocco trip. Even though I'm having all the van gas testing checked tomorrow, I wouldn't go away without one. So just bought this:

Link Removed

Thanks for the reminder!

Apr 10, 2012
Warks / Leics border
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
They ought to be compulsory along with a fire extinguisher. I know habitation is not part of the MOT, but at least the habitation checks ought to insist on one, and report on the status of the one fitted. A few months after buying my van the CO alarm kept going off and despite closing off the gas etc, I could not find the cause. Then I heard the leisure battery bubbling whilst on charge - that was knackered and giving off hydrogen (just as dangerous) and the CO monitor was picking it up. So it has a dual purpose.

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
They ought to be compulsory along with a fire extinguisher. I know habitation is not part of the MOT, but at least the habitation checks ought to insist on one, and report on the status of the one fitted. A few months after buying my van the CO alarm kept going off and despite closing off the gas etc, I could not find the cause. Then I heard the leisure battery bubbling whilst on charge - that was knackered and giving off hydrogen (just as dangerous) and the CO monitor was picking it up. So it has a dual purpose.
The battery sounds like it was being overcharged, not a battery problem as such but a voltage control problem more likely.

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
They ought to be compulsory along with a fire extinguisher.
I know habitation is not part of the MOT, but at least the habitation checks ought to insist on one, and report on the status of the one fitted.
A few months after buying my van the CO alarm kept going off and despite closing off the gas etc, I could not find the cause. Then I heard the leisure battery bubbling whilst on charge - that was knackered and giving off hydrogen (just as dangerous) and the CO monitor was picking it up. So it has a dual purpose.
Agreed, these are huge safety issues, particularly the fire extinguisher as that has implications for people close by.

Again agreed, I think that the receipt for the original purchase should have to be kept for inspection as proof of age.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My suggestion

Link Removed

I bought these for all the family last year, they have a permanent digital display with current CO always zero, and display options for max and min memory, that can be interesting / scary, I think the set alarm point is 23 (ppm I think) We have one in our conservatory with a log burner and quite regularly have alarms! I do not have the rules to hand now but think the 23 alarm point is very safe, I think over 70 you might show symptoms, but it needs to be 150 + to be really harmful

All will depend on body size, length of exposure etc

On our max min we have never gone over 30, but I don't mind the dog getting us out of bed to tell us the alarm is going off, in all cases relighting the log burner solves our problem as the chimney (external) cools the fumes are not drawn out so well, typical alarm time 03:00, bad time to be caught when fast asleep

I know MH's will not have log burners, but they do have more sources of CO in a much smaller space

Get out and buy one if you don't have one already

Thanks Bill for the excellent post and timely reminder

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
We have 2013 model Motorhome and there was no carbon monoxide detector fitted when we bought it.

Nor was a smoke alarm or fire extinguisher fitted.

Why not?

Aren't manufacturers aware that without these devices fitted inside a Motorhome it can be a lethal place to be?

I believe they should a legal requirement and, despite there being a small financial cost, Manufactures should be compelled by law to fit them at point of initial sale or be legally responsible for any 'problems' at a later date.

I have fitted all three to my MH as a safety measure and would encourage others to use common sense and consider fitting them to protect themselves and their family.

:france::france::france:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Agreed, these are huge safety issues, particularly the fire extinguisher as that has implications for people close by.

Again agreed, I think that the receipt for the original purchase should have to be kept for inspection as proof of age.

I am not so sure about the extinguisher bit

How many of us have ever used one to know what to do if needed

How much good is it going to be anyway, 1kg of powder or gas will not go far against anything serious and make more mess than a small fire might make, and they might actually spread a fire by pushing it around (fat fire for instance)

By all means have one, but for the cost, maybe try lighting a small fire outside and use one on the fire, you will probably be disappointed with the results

But do get a fire blanket, smother anything small enough to fit under it, if fire is bigger than the blanket it is to late to do anything anyway. No training in proper use needed, almost idiot proof, inexpensive, no sell by date, no loss of pressure issues .................... have I made my case

You can't be well enough prepared, but a fire extinguisher wrongly applied could easily do more harm than good

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
:thumb: Good thread. :thumb:

I have always had CO alarms in the house and the first bit fitted to the new MH when I got it home (along with two fire alarms).

I too had the concern 'fear' of whether they actually work or not - ours are Fire Angels make (both individual CO and smoke alarms).

Sat there and pondered and having heard so much about deaths from partial extinguished barbeques being put in tents and awnings for warmth I thought there could be a way of testing the CO alarms. I set about taking a near burned out barbeque coal, put it in a clean bean tin and hung it in the garage - the coal was still quite warm but not smoking or anything wildly glowing. I put two new CO alarms in the garage, about 3 feet away from the tin and shut the door,,,,,,,,,,,, About 5 mins later all hell broke loose in the garage with both alarms howling. I felt the two I bought had passed the test, that's number 1, and secondly I got a shock out of now wondering how much CO a full barbeque kicks out when its dying.....
:Eeek:

I am now confident in the knowledge that the dreaded CO does in fact kick off the two that I bought - not too sure if I could lay there thinking, and indeed hoping, they 'may' work. I now know these puppies get right upset if the dreaded CO is present. I did check that the models I have would still protect after they have been activated once and all's correct according to the manufacturers - I took the batteries out and replaced them just in case.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am not so sure about the extinguisher bit

How many of us have ever used one to know what to do if needed, the instructions are on the extinguisher, up to the owner to familiarise themselves on how to use it, just the same as many other things that we buy.

How much good is it going to be anyway, 1kg of powder or gas will not go far against anything serious ALL fires start off small, some with just a spark, granted it might well be out of hand already by the time it is discovered and make more mess than a small fire might make, Dry powder will certainly make a mess but CO2 will NOT and is very effective particularly in smaller spaces such as a MH, and they might actually spread a fire by pushing it around (fat fire for instance), using water on a fat fire is a big NO, NO and you are quite right it WILL make the fire worse and smothering it is far more effective and safe, a damp tea towel is good enough to put out a chip pan/frying pan fire (or indeed a fire blanket as you say)

By all means have one, but for the cost, maybe try lighting a small fire outside and use one on the fire, you will probably be disappointed with the results. Over a long career I have done lots of fire training (not my favourite subject, rather slash my wrists), but necessary in my opinion, the proper use of the extinguisher is essential to get the best results and not all have been trained in in the use as I have so you are quite right when you say How many of us have ever used one to know what to do if needed, but it is better to do something rather than nothing other than to adopt a negative attitude.

But do get a fire blanket, smother anything small enough to fit under it, if fire is bigger than the blanket it is to late to do anything anyway. Agreed. No training in proper use needed, almost idiot proof, inexpensive, no sell by date, no loss of pressure issues .................... have I made my case, you have made your case for a blanket without doubt and I will take your advice and buy one (today), so thanks for that but the rest of it I will dismiss as being far to negative.

You can't be well enough prepared, but a fire extinguisher wrongly applied could easily do more harm than good
More correctly the WRONG fire extinguisher could do more harm than good as in water on fat fires also water when on EHU, could kill you:Eeek:.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We did our refresher fire training this year and we put out a lit tank of oil (6ft by 6ft tank) burning on the surface with only a few seconds worth of dry powder squirt. We were all disappointed as we wanted it to last longer, more fun.

We carry the small dry powder extinguishers in our cars so the H&S dept. must have confidence that they are useful. They should be replaced every two years if not used. I'll be putting a dry powder extinguisher and CO and smoke detector in the MH when I get it for sure.

On a separate note, do people use a chip pan or deep fat fryer in their MHs? Seems like a big lump of kit to carry round.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just bought one of these....:thumb:

Link Removed

Thought with todays standards health & safety and all that new motors would have come with one fitted... :Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have 2013 model Motorhome and there was no carbon monoxide detector fitted when we bought it.

[HI]Nor was a smoke alarm[/HI] or fire extinguisher[HI] fitted[/HI].

Why not?

Aren't manufacturers aware that without these devices fitted inside a Motorhome it can be a lethal place to be?

I believe they should a legal requirement and, despite there being a small financial cost, Manufactures should be compelled by law to fit them at point of initial sale or be legally responsible for any 'problems' at a later date.

I have fitted all three to my MH as a safety measure and would encourage others to use common sense and consider fitting them to protect themselves and their family.

:france::france::france:

I thought the fitting of a smoke alarm was a legal requirement these days.

When we had the habitation service last year the engineer pointed out that one of the two fire extinguishers which were in the van when we bought it was out of date so I replaced it.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Got ours from B&Q on offer- three for price of two. Fire Angel 7year use for CO, 10 for Smoke Alarm.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
this is a grate response to my thread just pleas if you havent got one get one
thanks bill

Thanks for the reminder Bill, I had clean forgotten, but ordered the Kidde one fom Amazon this morning after reading your post

Cheers Ken
. :thumb: :drink::drink::drink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back