skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
sounds dim:confused: but just read on this forum, someones reply saying that their new van will be fitted with a carbon monoxide detector, so my question is....... are new vans fitted with them by the manufacturer / dealer, or not?
i have bought one anyway,
(but may have saved a bit if i knew one was going to be fitted)

look forward to the replies, but be gentle lol:D

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I've assumed not and bought one too. I've read so many glossies and brochures that I'm sure one of them would have mentioned it had there been one. I doubt they'll include anything that isn't listed. I suppose the Dealer could fit one if they were feeling flush. I think I'd worry that I'd got a bad deal though, if they did LOL. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
skylinersi

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I've assumed not and bought one too. I've read so many glossies and brochures that I'm sure one of them would have mentioned it had there been one. I doubt they'll include anything that isn't listed. I suppose the Dealer could fit one if they were feeling flush. I think I'd worry that I'd got a bad deal though, if they did LOL. :)

i would have thought so too, re the brochures etc, but i saw reply on here, so thought it wise to ask, shame not many replies on such an important subject:eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Ours didn't, I fitted one when we took possession of it, but it was 3 years old when we got it.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I've just checked the Auto-Sleeper 'standard specification' list for their PVCs and both smoke & CO alarms are fitted from new, which will save me having to buy them.

That doesn't say that all other manufacturers will fit them as standard.

Upvote 0

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Ours went off last week, the hab batteries were cooking. Wouldn't be without one.(y)

That is good to hear Badknee.(y) Even though you must of smelt something odd?

I had a cooked battery the other day, but my CO alarm did not actuate, could be down to the positioning of it, the concentration of gas, or it has a H2S filter on it? Which the later I doubt!

The CO alarm is designed to alert you of Carbon Monoxide as it is colourless and odourless. but other gases (hydrogen Sulfide including) can interfere with the sensor, setting it off.

So if your CO alarm does go off, don't always assume it is actually CO that's set if off.
In your case, it was a warning of high concentrations of Hydrogen, which is never a good thing.:(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
skylinersi

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Ours went off last week, the hab batteries were cooking. Wouldn't be without one.(y)

lucky then there i guess!, was the hab battery lead acid, or gel out of interest as our manual says lead acid must not be used as hab battery!!, what do other people have?

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Believe or not these do go out of date, we rent out a property and this was recently checked for our gas certificate and he recommended getting new one so check dates on them

Upvote 0
OP
OP
skylinersi

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Believe or not these do go out of date, we rent out a property and this was recently checked for our gas certificate and he recommended getting new one so check dates on them

good point(y)

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
lucky then there i guess!, was the hab battery lead acid, or gel out of interest as our manual says lead acid must not be used as hab battery!!, what do other people have?
Yes it was and still is LA, our Sargent changer recommends LA only. I have gone for two Trojan 6v x 250ah because they have maintenance caps to top them up.
To be honest we didn't smell them at first because they were sealed, it wasn't till day two of the alarm going off the smell got bad enough to notice.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just checked ours and it Dec2017 so will get a new one soon.
Ours has a 'buggered' alarm built in and no provision to change the batteries to make sure you buy new. (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not had a new van that has either fitted.
That's cos you buy from those Europeans. My new Hymer I bought in November 2015 came with smoke alarm fitted on the bedroom ceiling and a CO alarm that was left for me to fit wherever I wanted. Trouble is the smoke alarm has got a hair trigger! Always forget to take it off and put under the duvet before I start warming my breakfast croissants.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's cos you buy from those Europeans. My new Hymer I bought in November 2015 came with smoke alarm fitted on the bedroom ceiling and a CO alarm that was left for me to fit wherever I wanted. Trouble is the smoke alarm has got a hair trigger! Always forget to take it off and put under the duvet before I start warming my breakfast croissants.
Yours was only dealer fitted much cheaper to buy my own smoke alarm than pay £15,000 extra for the van. That is one hell of an expensive smoke alarm. :ROFLMAO:
Also I get to chose my own a Fire Angle Atom, very small and decret optical one that doesn't go off at a whim.:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980

Many new vans come with fitted Gel batteries, so I guess that is why they say that. On my van, and I guess on most vans, there is a switch on the Electrobloc or Seargent control unit to change from Gel to LAcid. I have always used Lead Acid batteries, hoping of course that the van does not go upside down and empty its contents on the floor (As if that mattered much with the van upside down).

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
out of interest as our manual says lead acid must not be used as hab battery!!, what do other people have?
2 x 6v WLA Traction batteries here too, but in an outside locker. If they gas off or burst, that would be less of a risk to us as occupants.

Re smoke and CO detectors/alarms, I installed both shortly after collecting the MH from a private seller. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am delighted to see 22 posts ref carbon monoxide (CO) monitors and nobody has called it CO2 :):)(y)(y)

my thought would be if fitted by manufacturer or dealer it will probably be as cheap as possible, I like one with a display so if you ever get an alert and we have at home you know how serious it is

my understanding is they alarm at 30ppm, but CO is only slightly dangerous at 100+, good to be alerted, but even more important to know just how bad the problem is

that said, one with no display is much than not having one at all (y)

we use these, in MH, house and our BTL's

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kidde-10-...317177?hash=item4b11b059b9:g:oa8AAOSwt5hYdREn

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As carbon monoxide is odourless, so we would not know if there was a problem without a detector, I was fairly concerned last year when driving in France, my detector went beeping for a moment before going silent. Can they do this? Should they do this? It has not made a sound since then.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As carbon monoxide is odourless, so we would not know if there was a problem without a detector, I was fairly concerned last year when driving in France, my detector went beeping for a moment before going silent. Can they do this? Should they do this? It has not made a sound since then.
Press the test button to see if it is still working.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It should give off a red flash every minute (or so) Alan, to indicate it is still in working order. It will give out a warning bleep, every minute (or so) to indicate that the battery, or the unit itself (if a ten year one) is reaching expiry. As advised by @peterc10 above, use the test button if unsure. This should also be done on a monthly basis, as with a smoke detector/alarm, to test functionality.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back