Caravanner looking to change to motorhome (1 Viewer)

BriannYe

LIFE MEMBER
May 4, 2017
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Having been a caravanner for many years have reached that stage in life where it would be time to change to a motorhome. Only the two of us but cannot decide between a panel van or a coachbuillt. Only downside is i am rather tall at 1.99 metres which makes the bed choices very interesting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
My advice would be to look around at local dealers and decide what is the best layout for you. At your height a van conversion may be a bit narrow.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
At that stage of life and length, I would be wanting a fixed bed - Coachbuilt.
Welcome to the club.

:HelloThere:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Having been a caravanner for many years have reached that stage in life where it would be time to change to a motorhome. Only the two of us but cannot decide between a panel van or a coachbuillt. Only downside is i am rather tall at 1.99 metres which makes the bed choices very interesting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You may have to consider leg surgery to give you more choice

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It depends on the touring you want to be doing. If I were going around the World I'd probably do it in a panel van. Otherwise, with regular holiday style touring you'll really appreciate the space and storage that coachbuilt can give. Best of luck yy

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I'd think carefully about the type of travelling you'd be doing and where. Having owned caravans you should be able to make a list of likes, dislikes, must haves, etc then I'd go and visit a large dealer like Brownhills plenty of stock and take my time looking at everything. Good luck in finding the right vehicle

OP
OP
BriannYe

BriannYe

LIFE MEMBER
May 4, 2017
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Thank you for your replies. Yes have spent many hours on the internet looking and just going round and round in circles. Thinking that when i retire we will tour around Europe and see all the lovely places off the beaten track as well as those on the main line!

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
A class. you know it makes sense:)

smiffy64

Free Member
May 3, 2017
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
What I can tell you is that the fixed bed in my Dethleffs T7150 is almost too short for me and I am 5ft 9inches.

I cannot say for other fixed beds. My MH is 7.6M too, and I think Dethleffs could have added a couple more inches to the bed.

smiffy64

Free Member
May 3, 2017
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I have just measured my bed and it is 1.8M long and width is 1.35M. So I think that rules this particular MH out for you then! Unless you lie on it yourself diagonally.:)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
My pearl of wisdom is , do not buy a safari room until you have used your motorhome a few times.

So many ex tuggers fall into it, then realise that their holidays have changed and they don't use the motorhome in the same way that they used the caravan.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
If I were going around the World I'd probably do it in a panel van. (y)
wouldn't a panel van be too cramp for full timing / worldwide travels ?

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
:hot:Ok, now everyone, clutch your sides laughing at the silliness of this.

A tall person and the first thing that springs to mind is beds. There are others, but one is very important.

The toilet. It's not pleasant, no.2's with the toilet door open because you physically can't shut the washroom door and sit on the loo. I can just manage it in ours, and I am not as tall as you.

So as well as lying on the beds, sit on the loo.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
w2fOur low profile has a huge transverse bed the width of the motorhome over the garage at the back.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have a larger than average panel van, the best of both worlds.

Good height
Lots of versatile storage
Kingsize electric bed
Easy to drive on narrow roads
Easy to park
Massive payload
4 seat belts
Can sleep up to 5 (uses most the van)

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
My pearl of wisdom is , do not buy a safari room until you have used your motorhome a few times.

So many ex tuggers fall into it, then realise that their holidays have changed and they don't use the motorhome in the same way that they used the caravan.
unless you want to buy mine of course;)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
We have a larger than average panel van, the best of both worlds.

Good height
Lots of versatile storage
Kingsize electric bed
Easy to drive on narrow roads
Easy to park
Massive payload
4 seat belts
Can sleep up to 5 (uses most the van)
What have you got?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
What have you got?
Globecar Campscout (R)evolution
2016-09-10 12.44.22.jpg

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009

w2f
I made the move from caravans several years ago and my first motorhome was an attempt to recreate the internal space of our twin axle caravan with fixed bed. The motorhome had an island bed and a second double bed for the kids, loads of internal space, but due to the exterior dimensions, we ended up using it like a caravan, driving to a site and not moving the van until we left.
Our second motorhome was a compromise, when the kids stopped coming away with us, physically smaller, but still plenty of space and payload for two.

I've now gone solo and downsized again to a PVC and it is an ideal size to accommodate me, my black Labrador and a kayak. It has a fixed bed which is 6' 3" long, on which you would just fit if you sleep with knees bent, but the bed is quite narrow at 4'. Loads of room for me, but I'm not sure how couples manage with it.

Certainly for me, a jump from our caravan straight to a PVC would have been a jump too far.

Best of luck with your hunting.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
IMG_1418.JPG
If your the sort of couple that stay for days on end on a campsite, or spend months in Benidorm for eg, or are very sociable and have lots of folk coming into your van whilst on site, then it's got to be a big motorhome like an rv or a class .
If like us two , you like to tour about. Only have a small dog and don't bring the kids anymore, like to wild camp, like to get off the beaten track , Enjoy your own company , rarely ever hook up , then a pvc would suit you. Especially if you've built it to your exact requirements.
We've had several caravans , then a big 7 birth MH when we had 3 kids and 2 dogs, but now Pug is our guilty pleasure.

OP
OP
BriannYe

BriannYe

LIFE MEMBER
May 4, 2017
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Thank you everyone for your input. You have given me plenty to think about. Your right the options all depend on how you will use your motorhome. So at the moment still undecided but a bit clearer than we were a few days ago!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Your height is going to be your biggest issue. I'm just a little less tall than you & found that you can immediately dismiss any PVC with a transverse bed (which is most of them) unless you are comfortable sleeping on your side with your knees bent. In any van, however large, check that you can use all the facilities. Bed length & internal height are often mentioned in the brochures, but knee room in the loo never is!

I have the Globecar Campscout & the bed length is barely sufficient. Have a look at the Campscout R - @jezport will confirm, but I suspect that if you sleep on the top bed slightly crossways, you would be able to hang your toes over the end of the bed if necessary. You can do that in the ordinary Campscout if you set up all the bed infills, but if we do that, my disabled wife can't climb into bed. It might work for you though, if you are both agile.

The Revolution will also give you the extra internal height. I'm just brushing the roof - you would have have to stoop a bit in ours.

In almost any van, even many A-class, you are going to be looking for a bed without solid bulkheads at both ends. If you restrict yourself to beds that are long enough for you to sleep stretched out between bulkheads, your short list will be very short & I suspect very expensive. :(

OP
OP
BriannYe

BriannYe

LIFE MEMBER
May 4, 2017
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Thank you "The Caller" for your interesting post. Have aeem the Põssl d line summit 640 which has twin beds of 200cm plus the roof height being taller so may nip over to Germany to see it. Have spent more time eliminating vans than approving!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back