Caravanguard - personal imports

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by tony_g, Aug 21, 2013.

1. tony_g

tony_g Funster

I am currently doing the rounds for my MH insurance renewal. Decided to give Caravanguard a go, as they were quite competitive on my first van a few years back. Unfortunately, they fell pretty much at the first hurdle.
    When I told them that my van is a personal import, brought over from ROI last year, they advised that "their insurers would not allow them to cover non-professional imports". That was the extent of the explanation. No matter that my vehicle is RHD, UK spec, fully compliant and registered at the DVLA, identical to one bought from a UK dealer. That was that.
    Computer said 'no'! :Angry::Angry::Angry:

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You expected them to take a risk and make a judgement.

Shame on you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tony_g

tony_g Funster

Just a brief update. Much against my inclination, I thought maybe I should give Saga a try. After all, they bombard me with letters week in week out for every insurance under the sun.
    It seems that they will not insure personally imported motorhomes, either. :Doh:

4. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Crazy springs to mind !! I am assuming ROI is Repubic of Ireland ?? Europe !! Should be no problem . France us probably the most be beaurocratic country in Europe but registration document means it conforms to European norm so insurance no problem. :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  5. tony_g

tony_g Funster

My point exactly. My Laika van is identical in every way to one supplied for a UK dealer. This one just happened to be originally shipped to Ireland and first registered there. Crazy indeed.

6. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Ombudsman springs to mind !!