OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
But then look at all the Dutch people you see all over europe with there little caravans ???:Doh: Doh !!
Here we go again !
Happy Touring Daze
Chrisboyo

Not sure about this, but I think the reason is that there is a law in the Netherlands about storing a camper by the house.. plus there is a huge tax on them.. hence the caravan.. maybe someone else has more info.. ?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It all comes down to money Terry.. If we could afford a fairly modern and economical camper that would double up as daily transport AND be as comfortable as the Honda.. I would be looking now.. all the ones we like are out of our budget..

I like the Jap Hi Ace camper conversions.. that would fit the bill, and would use it with a tent as a base camp for longer stays.. but a decent one is around 10k .. even trading in the car + caravan wouldn't come close to that.. plus, as I mentioned, we use the caravan as a spare room.. and it takes up all the free space.

but.. in no hurry, once Chaz flees the nest anything is possible.. :Smile:
When she flies the nest Jim ::bigsmile: then you can change your set up again ::bigsmile: before you get lumbered with grandkids:Eeek: then change again :ROFLMAO:
Is it me ? but are more people changing to smaller vans ? Finding they only need essentials coupled with size :winky:
Terry

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have heard say, "when you have grandkids, you can always give them back"........WRONG!

We have to get a babysitter if we ever want to go out!!!!

We didn't really want grandchildren, so, if anyone out there does.............................................? The fat one has asthma!

Honestly we wouldn't be without them, hence the 31ft trailer!

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Night Owl

Free Member
Oct 24, 2011
Nr York
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
20 years
After building seven self build motorhomes/campervans we think we have the perfect solution for us.

Now we are retired we use a lot of c&cc temp holiday sites,staying for up to three weeks.

We also travel to France in the van and stay on aires.

Our present camper, built 5 years ago,is built on a short wheelbase Movano and is under 5 metres long but has all we need on board including solar panels etc.

We recently bought a 21 year old 2berth Swift Corniche one owner from new in super condition and damp free. It only weighs 16cwt so is easy to tow and only cost £500 from a local dealer.

This enables us to use the camper when touring or as a day van when leaving the caravan on site with all facilities in the van.

We find this to be a very low cost and perfect solution for us.

Best of both worlds. :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think the answer is that we change recreational vehicles to suit our own needs at the time of purchase. As our needs and requirements often change over the years then the recreational vehicle that was once perfect for our needs at the time of purchase must also be changed.
I had both large and small caravans when caravanning which were perfect for my needs at the time, family holidays and the occasional weekend away. It was not practical to have a motorhome sitting at home with tax and insurance on it and just be used for a few weeks each year as at that time I was working most of the time.
After I retired I bought a large caravan and towed it with the vehicle I already had which was a Dodge Ram pickup, perfect combination for me at the time as I was overwintering in Benidorm.
I then bought an American RV and had a small towcar for running around Benidorm in.
When I went back to touring as opposed to staying in one place for long periods I bought a European van and converted it so that I did not have to rely on campsites and the additional costs that went with them.
If for any reason in the future I stop touring then I would consider going back to the caravan, but would then be sitting on the same site for months as opposed to days as I couldn't be bothered with all the packing and unpacking.
I do like the freedom that my camper gives me and like to be able to stop where and when I want without all the paraphernalia that goes with a caravan.
All my camping "stuff" is kept in the garage and not rolling around in the living space or back of the car.
I have enjoyed all forms of camping over the years in all forms of vehicle but have also been able and prepared to diversify when my needs have changed.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Heart versus head Jim, how about doing a cost comparison list? Car and caravan V van?::bigsmile::Smile::winky:
Terry

Night Owl

Free Member
Oct 24, 2011
Nr York
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
20 years
Our 5 year old movano self build campervan and caravan cost about £9,000 in total :Smile:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Something I dont think anyone has mentioned in this debate is the superior viewpoint from the motorhome as opposed to the car.For us we usually go for around 7-8 weeks at a time and the journey is as enjoyable as the destinations,we have remarked to each other on numerous occasions how we would have not seen such and such If we had been in the car as the view point was too low.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
We are currently in a position of changing things due to needs. The MH we bought last year, i not suited to us, so we are looking at others and have a "more or less" definate aim.
Once we decided that our current van was not for us, we discussed all the options. caravans were certainly back in the running, once you go from a MH, to a MH with toad, the leap to a caravan is a very small one i think.
We need more space, and a fixed bed, these are much more easily found in caravans and RV's, european MH,s still fall a tad short for our needs,.....unless, we get a Hymer with tag.
There is no doubts, that fuel cost's will play a large part in the MH sector, our MH cost us £500 a year just to sit outside the house, once we start moving, obviously fuel is the main issue...and if it keeps increasing, to visit places in the UK, you my just as well use a Travelodge if you only go away a few times a year.
Once weve changed vans again..we'll give it a couple of years........then no dubt the ebate will start again.:Blush:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
MH for us-- we have x 2 small kids and can sort them out on the move while i drive.
I have the excuse not to drive in to some town centre ( because of parking) and visit the same old shops as everywhere else.

I also like the whole aspect of driving a MH as our holiday starts as soon as i get in it,and it is a different experience that sat in a same old car.

With kids , once parked up on a good site we have to make the most of whats there.

There also seems to be more of a all year round use for a MH--we have just come back from a site in Devon and seen 25 MH`s to x 3 caravans.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Well, after 5 years with an A class European M/H we changed 4 months ago!

We now have a caravan and a LWB camper!

The caravan will be left down here in Zahora so we have space and comfort through the winter months then come April we'll go off camping in our WildAx for the summer and have adventures! :winky::winky::winky:

We can use the camper as a car while we're down here for the winter - not many places we can't get to with it. :Smile:

We're finding it great - we have the best of both worlds! :thumb::thumb:

If, in the future, we decide we don't want to stay in Zahora any more then we can just hitch up the caravan and move it somewhere else!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back