Caravan Club Wifi ... rip off ?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by scotjimland, Oct 7, 2011.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Well, that's my opinion anyway ...

• Like Like x 1
  2. laneside

laneside Funster

Yes those are the prices as at today at Clumber Park and never assume you will get a decent connection and nor will you get a refund from the site office. Afraid the CC club is like many more organisations----too big for its own boots and too full of its own self importance to be of benefit fot its members.

• Like Like x 3
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The Caravan Club, whether with the previous or new provider, have only ever been resellers of commercial products. As such they are governed by what is on the market which is available to resell. Where could they (legally) obtain a cheaper product to enable lower prices?

If they were to offer WiFi free (i.e. as part of the pitch price) then non-users would pay to subsidise heavy users and the same debates would occur as with a standard charge for electricity. Whilst customers of the likes of McDonalds & Wetherspoons might be happy to pay such a subsidy, would CC members?

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

We've found incredible differences across Europe.

€1 = 1 hour, can log off.

€5 = 24 hours continuous.

€3 = 1 day.

€1 = 30 mins.

No logic to it, just think of a number and charge it.

One site I could not even get it to work and with language difficulties I just gave up.

This explains how quiet hilldweller has been for the last month.

5. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

What a Joke! Unfortunately this seems to be another indication that the CC is living in the dark ages.

Stayed at the municipal site in Beaune during September, where WiFi was included in the pitch price (which was a lot cheaper than CC or C&CC sites I might add).

6. scotjimland

I don't expect to get it for free nor expect it to be subsidised by non or low users (unlike leccy charges), nor am I an accountant but looking at this balance sheet, year ending Dec 2007 they don't look skint to me ....

SURPLUS FOR FINANCIAL YEAR
    AFTER TAXATION £7,158,000

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/802902/ammreportoctober08.pdf

7. buttons

buttons Funster

Have you stayed in a hotel recently? They are all on the gravy train their internet connections must be bringing in more revenue than their restaurants do. What you need is a reality check.:Wink:

8. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

I last stayed in Hotels last summer, in the midlands. WiFi was "free". (Included in the price in reality).
    I can imagine it would be a separate revenue stream in places where it is charged in addition to normal costs.

9. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

They will charge what they think they can get away with.:Eeek: They just see it as another cash cow instead of a service which would enhance their sites. If enough are willing to stump up at these prices nothing much will change.
    If most do not, they will either withdraw it or they will cut the charges.

WiFi is not a particularly expensive thing to set up or to run, especially if the site already has a computer which is connected.Even if they just have it in the clubhouse/bar or at reception at least you can check your e-mails.

WiFi virtually everywhere will in time become the norm, and at no cost or at only a minimal amounts. It's just a matter of time. It's happening in many places here and around the world already.:thumb:

10. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

Wi Fi

Just back from France and some ACSI sites provide the service free If they charge I don't use it! It's called choice and to be fair I don't need it unless I want to book the return ferry:thumb: I'm on holiday so why tie yourself to a PC

11. buttons

buttons Funster

I've stayed in a number this year between £12 and £20 a night seems the norm. For a crap service.:cry:

12. scotjimland

as it happens I stayed at a Holiday Inn in May .. it was free ... but then again does the Holiday Inn qualify as a hotel .. ? what a dump ... and that is fact, not opinion.

no need to be offensive mr buttons

13. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I am in the Premier Travel Inn at Newmarket drinking as I type this on free wifi.:thumb:

The CC are con merchants. Half the time their server is down.

• Like Like x 1
  14. buttons

buttons Funster

Apologies Jim that doesn’t sound like me, I stayed 2 weeks ago in a Premier Inn just north of your good self. Room £67 internet £12 I could accept this as a reasonable profit if it had not been the catch. They only allow one connection for that price. I connected my phone when I arrived then had to pay another £12 for my laptop. Disappointing as I had more than enough gadgets to get on line. However, the signal was such a load of tosh in Norfolk/Suffolk that nothing would connect.

15. scotjimland

tell me about it, mine is snail band ... and the galling part is, it costs the same as a high speed cable connection .. :Angry:

16. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

We staying in a hotel in Spain this year.......it was 5 euros for 7 days.
    24 x 7 not bad I thought.

17. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Bah Humbug !!

I will not be renewing my CC membership next year ! The CC&C prices (especially the age concession for wrinklies) are far cheaper !
    At the moment I am on their Cranberry moss site in between Shrewsbury and Oswestry!
    Just less than £9 per night with FREE wi-fi ! Suck on that CC !!! :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Quite right, Jim, they aren't skint. At the same time, though, they are a big business. The CC might have the word Club in its name but that is no reason to expect that it should not be run as efficiently as any other business of comparable size.

The hardware on site certainly isn't expensive. What generates the charge is the commercial rate of the service provider for which the CC (in this case) is a reseller. As others have pointed out, these services (which are totally different from the domestic services we are used to at home) are expensive wherever they are provided.

We used CC WiFi at a couple of sites in 2007 and then found it more cost effective for our usage to enter into a contract for a mobile dongle. Other people will have different usage patterns and will find it more cost effective to use hotel/site WiFi.

At least with the CC, usage of other methods is not blocked. We stayed a night at a Holiday Inn about a year ago and found that mobile phone signals inside the building were blocked so guests couldn't use a dongle and were forced to pay for the hotel WiFi if they couldn't do without Internet access.

19. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Even the hotels we stayed in last month in Manila, Philippines, had free Wi-fi and had a couple of antenna / routers on every floor as you picked about six or 8 up when you looked for the hotel network.

Most of the camp sites we stayed on in France in August / September had free Wi-fi.

Many pubs offer it now, including small independents like my brother's pub in Devon.

There are those who will keep trying to fleece us, but it's a gravy train which is on the way out.

Perhaps though it should more accurately be described as "wi-fi without additional charges".:thumb:

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Tell him to give the CC details of his provider, Callum. They might be able to get a better deal from them than the people they are with now :Smile: