Caravan club wifi news!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Techno, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 7
  2. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Certainly sounds like a good deal to me currently on an affiliated site and wifi included but every time you do a new search even when logged on you get thrown off and have to log on again which is a pain

3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I'm sure a lot of places will be making their wifi a bit more affordable. So many have spent a fortune putting in site wide systems and then finding few are willing to pay the cost.
    The CC idea sounds good (except I am not a member and haven't stayed on one of their sites for years.)

4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I like this........

:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Techno

I bought 100 hrs for £40 while at Alderstead Heath CC and it was withdrawn from sale soon after. That was in August and I've been on a few sites since and still have 36 hrs left. The new pricing is great and won't require logging out after each session.

6. WillH

WillH Funster

Two years of lobbying seem to have paid off, these are reasonable prices at last.

Rgds
    Bill

7. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

I never entertained the CC's previous charges for WiFi, however, their 2014 tarrifs do look more affordable for many.

If out in the sticks somewhere, (eg, Clumber), and I couldn't use my MiFi, or my WiFi booster to pull in a BT signal, I would certainly consider the daily or weekly tarrif, depending on length of stay.

Thanks for the "heads up" Andy. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

8. Techno

I must say that up until finding this news I had thought they were going the other way after withdrawing the 100hr deal :Eeek:
    As for poor wifi I have not encountered this yet at any site (several) even Alderstead Heath that was reporting problems when I bought did manage to perform trouble free for me.
    Many of the sites that have a poor mobile network signal seem to have wifi probably because of that :thumb:

9. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Bandwidth

On the face of this sounds like a good deal but I wonder what bandwidth will be available on the sites.

When I stay away due to work I use Holiday Inn hotels (because of the IHG/Priority Club loyalty scheme) - the hotels offer 'free wifi' but it frequently is so slow that eventually I give up or buy the 'premium wifi' which is not cheap but at least it works.

So let's hope the wifi will be at 3mb+ rather than the 256k which is sometimes the case when the offer is 'free' or 'cheap'.

mr mousy.

10. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Join the club! I found this also - they made a big thing about gold and platinum members getting free wifi and it is almost un useable anything other than checking email. My Vodamoan dongle doesn't work in many parts of Europe so I end up paying (more precisely my employers) if I have some heavy work to do. To be fair, not every IHG hotel throttles their wifi - some give full access.

11. Techno

My 100hrs voucher bought last August has just expired.
    I have just bought the 12 month package which simply involved logging into my Caravan Club site as usual then selecting the wifi package required. I was then directed to my paypal account. Job done. I now never need to logout only login when I connect to CC wifi. So we can both use it one at a time :thumb:
    Not super fast but adequate for browsing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

We only get 512k at home. We are on longline and no chance of an upgrade or any real alternative.

13. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

After having my non-expiring Vodafone dongle expire through their cancellation of such a thing (it was pretty useless at getting signals anyway), I too have bought the 12 month CC package. Used it at White Water Park, Stockton and now at Castleton and both places have worked fine, just as fast as my home broadband.

14. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Funster

I live so close to Baltic Wharf site that I may buy it as a back up to my home system! If it works ok it's probably cheaper than I pay already :Rofl1: so long as I can use it while sitting on my sofa and don't have to go into the garden to use it!

• Like Like x 2
  15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

get a long range antenna and a suitable wifi router and im sure you will be able to share the connection so you dont have to time share

16. Techno

This time I'm at Knaresborough CC and the wifi has not skipped a beat (touch wood) FULL site too :thumb:

17. Techno

Just renewed for another 12 months yesterday. The last 12 months certainly was worth it given how often we visited cc sites

18. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

C & CC are offering the same deal - 12 months but for £20

19. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Paying for WIFI drives me MAD!!!
    It's the ultimate rip-off
    If McDonalds and Starbucks can give it free to anyone why do the CC feel it necessary to charge their fee paying members?

20. Techno

Caravan club don't charge
    It is the wifi provider you pay for the infrastructure and service that is not funded by adverts
    "Airangel" is the provider despite getting a CC receipt.
    I've been to many mc Donald's where the bandwidth is so crammed with users that it is often useless.
    I can quite easily upload large photo files quickly using CC that is impossible on the cloud wifi

Last edited: May 23, 2015