Caravan club overseas site prices!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Spidey, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Spidey

Spidey Funster

I am not sure if i am pricing this correctly, but i assumed booking a campsite in Europe via the caravan club web site would be discounted and cheaper than booking direct. But on the CC website 3 adults + 1 child on electric pitch is about £30 booking direct its £24! If it right then whats the point in them even having a section for oversea bookings? o_O

The campsite is Gritt, Luxembourg in july/ august

Has anyone found it cheaper to book via CC and if so am I missing something are they offering anything in addition?

2. deanroofing

deanroofing Funster

Phone them up and tell that there too expensive, they'll probably match it or beat it bit like their insurance.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Oh didn't realise i could do that :) i will try that tomorrow

4. Badknee

Badknee Funster

The top price is all profit for the gullible amongst us like 99%. I hate the fact that new members, new recipients, etc get better deals all over the place and loyal customers get screwed.

• Like Like x 4
  5. keith

keith Funster

6. lorger

lorger Funster

We used them when we went to lake Garda they charge £27 a night the site wanted £38 so big saving and I then included the ferry crossing and got a bigger discount.

7. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

CC will have price set on Comp based on an average rate to the Euro ( or may have agreed rates so time ago ) no get better exchange rate so direct may well be cheaper

• Like Like x 1
  8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

It's not just the CC, there all at it. Better interest rates from banks when you move to them, better offers from insurance companies if you join them etc. etc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Sometimes it's the only way to get on a site, they block book pitches. We're having to move in a couple of days, because one of the clubs has booked the whole area of the site around us.

10. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

I suspect the exchange rate might have something to do with it too.

One example - Camping Cheques cost £14.95 from Alan Rogers (owned by the Caravan Club, incidently) for a €16 euro cheque. Buy them instead from http://www.campingcheque.fr/ and they cost €16 euro, which if you've got a load-free credit card with no foreign exchange charges, works out at around £11.95 sterling at today's rates - a saving of £3 a night or circa 20% off. We always buy them from the French website for our Silver electronic card - works a treat.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  11. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I won't go right into the details but our first two month trip to europe was booked via CC and the cost for sites was around £950. Once we arrived and found with Acsi and the aires system we could have done the same trip for less than £400. An absolute rip off!

The difference in what the CC charge and that the sites charge either by direct booking or using the Acsi card can be as much as 40%. My advice is stay well clear go the CC, and I expect the same goes for the C&CC