Caravan Club or Camping and Carvan (1 Viewer)

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Caravan Club or Camping and Caravan Club?

Just bought our first mh and looking to join one of the clubs to take advantage of the offers, Which is recommended?

TIA

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't really know what you mean by the offers, I doubt you will save the cost of joining on that.
Both have a good network of CLs/CSs (little sites that are not owned by the clubs but exempted from planning regs by them) which are very useful for motorhomes. Their actual sites suit some but for me they are overpriced and over regulated.
If you use the CLs/CSs a lot then worth joining both, but if you mainly tour abroad then probably little point in joining either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
The only reason I am a member of both is for the vast network of CL / CS sites, and maybe in the future the mayday recovery which if purchasing cover via caravan club there is no restriction on unit size or weight, quite handy with a unit like mine. I don't think I could afford or even really wish to stay on the actual club sites from either of them........Mark

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We joined the CC when we bought our first van in 2006 and still keep up membership in case we want to use the CLs. Having said that the only CC site we've used this year has been a main one :Smile:

We joined C&CC in March last year because we had heard of their more relaxed attitude to weekend meets and longer Temporary Holiday Sites - most you can just turn up without booking. We've been to several of those since we joined and found them brilliant; never fail to receive a warm welcome.

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We're in both, have been for years, use the sites, CLs/CSs and rally with both. We also have Red Pennant multi-trip insurance through the CC - using both makes sure we get out all year round ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We are in the CC.
The CL network was what sold the idea to us.

We haven't been on a club site in 2 years!::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
join both.
Same here, and for all the same reasons listed above.

Also, whilst "on the road" if you don't like the idea of wild camping, ie, due perhaps to a perceived feeling of insecurity, then being members of both clubs ensures that you will almost always, have a safe overnight stop near you, just by flicking through either directory for your immediate area. :thumb:

Happy MH'ing, and welcome to the forums. :Smile:

Jock & Rita.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
which club

Difficult to suggest which club, some pointers which might help you choose might be, where you want to visit, look and see which club has the site you would prefer to stay on.
The caravan club does have an excellent standard and they are upgrading a refurbishing their facilities, so you know that you are going to get modern and quality facilities.

With the Caravan Club when booking you don`t have to pay a deposit, you do however with the Camping Club.

We have only stayed on Caravan Club sites this year and as a result have decided not to renew our Camping & Carvan club membership.
We just prefer the Carvan Clubs campsites.

Don`t be blinkered though in your choice as there are 1000`s of campsites out there, we tend to make our decision on where to stay by location and what we consider our needs, ie local pub, walks, rivers and local shops.
Whichever you choose we wish you well.

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
We are members of both, we use the CC main site we know the standards are of a quality, last year we did Looe and St Maws down your way nice trip finished up in Callington to visit family, we originally joined the C & CC to get the RAC upgrade to include the van but since we have used their sites and also the winter rallies in Spain, we are going to Scotland on Mon and have booked 3 sites up there , so we are happy with both clubs. Pete :thumb:

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We joined CC for the CLs [so to speak] and they had a 'two nights on a CC site free' offer on. Used that, doubt we'd use a main site again as they do seem expensive for what we need. Just a thought on the C and CC though - I thought I read somewhere that they will allow 'homer members to use their site facilities [waste dumping, refilling, even showers?] without having to stay overnight. can anyone confirm this as if so it seems a good reason to join them.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Just a thought on the C and CC though - I thought I read somewhere that they will allow 'homer members to use their site facilities [waste dumping, refilling, even showers?] without having to stay overnight. can anyone confirm this as if so it seems a good reason to join them.

Here are the details: Link Removed

It costs £7, but I'm not sure you actually need to be a member.

Outside peak season, for those over the age of 55 that qualify for the age concession prices, it's possible to stay at Camping and Caravanning Club sites for not much more than that, however. I reckon many of the sites offer 'oldies' good value during spring, early and late summer and autumn. And the Temporary Holiday Rallies that you can just turn up at without booking, are superb in our opinion. Especially during peak season, when Club and other sites are expensive. :thumb:

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
Worthing.West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Empty Nest
Exp
Since 1972
Caravan Club or Camping & Caravanning Club.

We have belonged to both for many years, mainly for the same reasons as previous comments, the good spread of sites it gives us.
Speaking generally the Caravan Club has the better facilities particularly with some of their upgraded sites.
One of our pet hates is Push Button showers, especially those that last about 5 seconds, and the Camping Club does seem to have more of those.
I usually end up with a dent in my back from leaning against the button.

On the other hand, and again this is very general, I find the Camping Club Wardens (sorry, Holiday Site Managers) more affable.
Well, lets say I have had very few disputes with them.
They will usually lead you to your pitch and make sure that you are set up okay and happy.

And the Camping Club members who organise the DA meets are brilliant.
They work very hard in setting up the site and are always most helpful and friendly.

A Caravan Club warden said to me, this year, that they did not know why some of them were in the job when we discussed some of the attitudes.
She said that before they were wardens they went to a Caravan Club site and her husband got so angry with the warden she really thought he was going to hit hiim.

Althought the C & CC requires deposits they will refund them if you give a minimum of 7 days notice.
The Caravan Club do not take deposits but have new rules about the minimum notice time- 72 hours.
And believe me the wardens do count them. I had to cancel one this year and was immediately informed that I had only given 51 hours notice.

Whatever- have fun.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Both! only had two, can't call them bad experiences really, just Power mad A holes, and you can experience them in real life anyway, just got to rise above them aint yu?

Really worth while to join both, just staying at a site ,for two or three or 6 nights gets you yur money back :thumb:

Upvote 0

Pigwam

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We're members of C&CC which we joined when we had a trailer tent, we have used both club sites and as of yet not had a problem, although to be fair I always get the Wife to do it.

we find that the C&CC sites are slightly cheaper overall, we have 2 Scottie dogs and when they see them we don't always get charged for then as they're so cute.

To late after we've paid when the dogs try get the owners cat::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We were members of both for a while..but after a fall out with the site warden at a C&CC site and having to make a call to the C&CC head office we didn't renew with them..we were also members of The Motor Caravanners Club as well but it didn't offer a great deal so we let that lapse too...I feel the Caravan Club is a better club (many will say different) and better value..each have their pros and cons...as many have said with the CSs and CLs that makes it worth it..

My own preference is Caravan Club...but don't take my word for it...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for all the replies. Decided to join the CC and we will see what like. Pick up the new van next week and are having our first weekend in it up in North Devon.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Enjoy.

The facilities on CC sites are some of the best you will experience. If you can though, try and give the little 5 x unit CLs a go.
They can be located on farms, pubs, nurseries, wineries, sports clubs, sailing clubs, marinas, and even the odd hotel.

Happy travels, :thumb:

Jock & Rita.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Thanks for all the replies. Decided to join the CC and we will see what like. Pick up the new van next week and are having our first weekend in it up in North Devon.

Hope you enjoy your membership with the Caravan Club, we certainly think they give good value for money.
Whilst in North Devon have a look at the Clubs site "Exmoor House" in Dulverton, Somerset, a lovely site with very helpful wardens, Dulvertton is a quaint village and well worth a few nights there.

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hope you enjoy your membership with the Caravan Club, we certainly think they give good value for money.
Whilst in North Devon have a look at the Clubs site "Exmoor House" in Dulverton, Somerset, a lovely site with very helpful wardens, Dulvertton is a quaint village and well worth a few nights there.

Hi we stopped there last year like you say very nice site and area. Pete

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back