Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My advice to any CC member is to download your site plan to help with your pitch type choice.
I can confirm that Black Knowl CC has 127 white peg awning pitches hence Deb's confusion.
castleton%20CC-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/16812985/the_firs_site_map_aug14.pdf

This is where we stayed and had a stay from hell, due to having booked a non awning pitch, at that time trying to be nice to those that might need to use an awning, but where without exception the non awning pitches are far worse pitches, typically half the size and often difficult access and mostly on grass and then on the corners of rows. The warden would not let us swap from non awning to awning pitch for nights 2 + 3 'because we hadn't booked one', true jobs worths, they had empty pitches for the other nights. I even suggested we could cancel the 2 nights left, get a full refund then rebook an awning pitch. I even said if we really had to we could drive off and come back in again. It was then that she said we were 'too big' not really sure quite where that came from, we are in an 8m MH but that is their limit on size, in fact 8m barely fits on some of the pitches, we were in the hedge and only just off the road on the one we ended up on first night

Based on Andys (Techno100) experience this does not apply to all sites, now we are a lot more comfortable with moving on to somewhere else, I am more inclined to turn up and see what they have available without booking, then decide if I like what pitch they have and move on if not

We have had some good CC site experiences, but as said earlier, we will now turn up and risk them being full in the main, unless we know we will be late then we would risk it (y)

Sorry I cant post the actual plan like Andy, maybe you can tell me how you do that

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The big question is, how many bookings will be taken up ?
Good point. When I was a tugger 30 years ago I joined the CC. Their policy of not taking deposits for booking club sites really p****d me off then. People would book for every weekend (and all of July and August) in the previous December, with the intention of deciding whether they would actually use the booking when they saw what the weather forecast was like a few days before! So the rest of us were denied the ability to book the decent sites a few days before going. For me the whole idea of caravanning then, and motorhoming now, is the freedom to decide at the last minute what you want to do and where you want to go.

I thought it was was a bloody awful system then (with many members complaining) and it still is now as far as I am concerned. When I started motorhoming last year I was astonished that they system was still the same, especially in this day and age when internet booking is available, rather than them having to hang on the phone all day or write a letter. It is one of the main reasons why I chose the C&CC rather than the CC to join.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks David and Andy,
We'll look a bit more carefully when booking (or not) next time. Still think grading the pitches at Castleton is odd as it's all hardstanding and the pitches are a uniform size but hey ho, never mind.

The Firs perhaps was a little different as that used to be a private site until not that long ago, we've driven past a few times. Wonder where the warden is now?:eek:

We've got to get our confidence built up a bit before we'd just turn up (that's me though, have to have a plan B:D)

Yes, the non-deposit booking system used to bug us when we worked, it does get abused but I can't see them changing it.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Sorry I cant post the actual plan like Andy, maybe you can tell me how you do that
I use "snipping tool"
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHMO_enGB528GB528&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=snipping tool download&revid=1558787827
I then upload the picture to my smugmug (same as my aire galleries) account from where I get a URL to share the picture. All the pictures I post are hosted by me.

Snipping%20tool.jpg

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Sorry, but absolutely nothing in this thread sounds like fun, spontaneity or relaxation!

I am so glad we avoid sites like the plague!

At least is means there's another pitch or two up for grabs for the rest of you!!!!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's only a problem to those that don't understand. There are sites I visit frequently so I automatically know which pitches will do. On first visits I always switch the dome on before a final decision. If I arrive and it is the last pitch that's just tough titty.
I'm at Bridlington CC tomorrow and I booked a serviced pitch RED peg (now that'll confuse you more) I'll be there late afternoon but I am guaranteed to be where I want to be as there are not many.
This site has no non awning pitches

Last edited:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
In other countries we never book, we just turn up where we feel like for the night. Mostly you can stay as long as you want and pay as you leave. Your pitch is yours and you can park on it however you want to.

In the UK if you have not booked its often a problem, and you nearly always have to pay in advance. If you want to stay longer you may or may not be able to, an you may have to move pitch. On CC sites you have to position your van as they say.

So which is the more relaxed, and most fun???

Every year we debate whether or not to stay in the caravan club because we don't like the booking culture and regimentation. But we stay because they do have a lot of nice sites.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Abiding by the CC rules doesn't stress me one bit and it's a long while since I met a warden being a tw@t.

I confess I enjoy the free onsite entertainment of tugger watching. It amazes me how some of them arrived at all judging by their apparent lack of knowledge about hitching up etc :LOL:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Abiding by the CC rules doesn't stress me one bit and it's a long while since I met a warden being a tw@t.

I confess I enjoy the free onsite entertainment of tugger watching. It amazes me how some of them arrived at all judging by their apparent lack of knowledge about hitching up etc :LOL:
And enjoying the mating call of the Tugger - the hour (+) long tap tap tap tap of mallet on awning stakes. :D:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back