Caravan Club and grilling (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
We've been members now for 4 years and only used Grunmore, Bunree, and another i can't remember in Scotland. All were brilliant but will be canceling this year as we just don't use them enough to warrant the membership fee.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
We've been members now for 4 years and only used Grunmore, Bunree, and another i can't remember in Scotland. All were brilliant but will be canceling this year as we just don't use them enough to warrant the membership fee.

That's fair comment. In your situation I'd do the same.

If you find that you miss the monthly magazine, I'll send you mine.

Stef.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I don't even open mine, it goes straight to the recycle bin.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You should probably relax a little.. why let something so trivial upset you.
It's just a camping club ...
It should be no suprise they have rules and procedures
Cant say as either club wardens have ever upset me really. .. but like @DBK said.. vote with your feet.

agree with most of that..BUT! they are noway a club!lol

more a throw back to the 1950's idea of a campsite regime....carry on camping:rolleyes:

CC an English aberration..in any other country would be laughed out of business!!!

Last edited:

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Life's too short to stress about such things but I would say the guy was just doing his job albeit in an impolite manner.

Ensure you update your vehicle details in future and vote with your feet and don't visit there again

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have used CC for over ten years all with RVs, never a problem, normally its "my have'nt you got a big one" and I accept their compliments ;)
My only warden experience was a few years back on a CCC site on Skye, an awkward sod who obviously got out of bed the wrong side.:eek:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We have been camping ,caravanning and motorhoming for over 20yrs and use CC sites 95% of the time and have never had a problem with wardens or indeed anything else even in the 9yrs we had American RV,s.maybe we have been lucky but the CC sites suite us ,we know they are not the cheapest but you know what you are getting.Every club has rules and we don't mind adhering to them,even the MHF forum has rules :p :LOL:.
Brian & Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We have been camping ,caravanning and motorhoming for over 20yrs and use CC sites 95% of the time and have never had a problem with wardens or indeed anything else even in the 9yrs we had American RV,s.maybe we have been lucky but the CC sites suite us ,we know they are not the cheapest but you know what you are getting.Every club has rules and we don't mind adhering to them,even the MHF forum has rules :p :LOL:.
Brian & Jo

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I wouldn't totally agree with @Judgemental "in any other country would be laughed out of business"
I find that the CClub provide quality sites with good sized pitches with generous spacing , generally level hardstandings and 16a hook up , all of which would probably be the envy of many on the continent.
That kind of quality is hard to find especially on the Iberian peninsular where we frequently found motorhomes within just a few feet of ours and poorly maintained pitches.
Yes the CClub can occasionally be a touch regimental, perhaps necessary to maintain standards.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
It depends on the wardens, but they seem to forget that the club is there for the members.
I camped up, lined up by one warden. A second warden told me to move. I refused as I had parked where the first one told me to. No reason except jobsworth. I didn't get evicted or banned from the club lol

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
It depends on the wardens, but they seem to forget that the club is there for the members.
I camped up, lined up by one warden. A second warden told me to move. I refused as I had parked where the first one told me to. No reason except jobsworth. I didn't get evicted or banned from the club lol

That happened to us but didn't mind moving, first warden who was a newby let us go side on on a corner plot, boss guy came and explained problem and gave us free bottle apple juice for their mistake.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
agree with most of that..BUT! they are noway a club!lol

more a throw back to the 1950's idea of a campsite regime....carry on camping:rolleyes:

CC an English aberration..in any other country would be laughed out of business!!!

Although I seldom use sites, I have over the years used them In France, Germany and Italy. Without exception they were far more relaxed than CC sites I have visited and the wardens/staff were, with the exception of one, friendly and helpful. Facilities and upkeep have not always been up to CC standards but generally have been perfectly acceptable, prices have usually been good value and sensible. I cannot say that for the CC.

It was a club 25 years ago but it has turned into simply another holiday seller, just like the holiday companies in the travel agents down the high street. I thought clubs were run for the benefit of members and that is certainly not now the case in my experience.

I am a member because I use CL's if it wasn't for that they could get lost. Why would I want to pay a company £46 per year for the privilege of using overpriced sites with rigid, sometimes ridiculous rules.

I don't see the French or Germans or Italian putting up with the b...shit or prices. Nor should they.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I wouldn't totally agree with @Judgemental "in any other country would be laughed out of business"
I find that the CClub provide quality sites with good sized pitches with generous spacing , generally level hardstandings and 16a hook up , all of which would probably be the envy of many on the continent.
That kind of quality is hard to find especially on the Iberian peninsular where we frequently found motorhomes within just a few feet of ours and poorly maintained pitches.
Yes the CClub can occasionally be a touch regimental, perhaps necessary to maintain standards.

a hard stand (if you lucky) with a toilet block..makes a quality site?lol You poor thing you haven't lived!:D

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I don't see the French or Germans or Italian putting up with the b...shit or prices.
I suppose there's one of the differences.
I don't see it as something I have to "put up with". I know what the club sites are like and when I visit them it's because I've chosen to do so. When I don't want what they're offering, I go elsewhere. Different days, different moods, different camping styles.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
a hard stand (if you lucky) with a toilet block

The toilet block is not necessary to me, but when it's offered I use it.
I always like a hardstanding because, with two dogs, it eliminates the grass cuttings getting bought into the van.
I'm so pleased that we are not all alike and that so many MH'ers visiting Cornwall choose to spend their holidays in a lay-by rather than pitching next to me on a site.
Just look at what happened to @JJ on Tuesday. He went to bed on Monday night and on Tuesday morning he finds a swarm of other units wedged up against his motorhome.
Some call it rules, others call it standards.
Stef.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When you stop and think about this, they really are a ripoff, you have already paid your thirty odd quid whether you use them or not and then to charge you another thirty quid a night to be told what to do and they haven't got any more than any other site, you can have acsi in Europe for about £15 and campsites for £20 down to £12 for the works hot weather, pools , bars the lot.

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We were on a CC site last, people couple of spots down from us we're got out of bed to move their car one morning (about 8.30 am) because the evening before they are returned back to the van in monsoon like rain conditions so they parked the car on the door side of the van to save running round in the rain. They were within the pitch, plenty of room BUT in the CC rules car was on wrong side!! I certainly wouldn't have rushed out of bed to move the car to keep the jobs worth happy!
thank goodness we had already decided to leave the CC after 35 years or so membership - definitely not the "club" we joined and enjoyed for years.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
When you stop and think about this, they really are a ripoff, you have already paid your thirty odd quid whether you use them or not and then to charge you another thirty quid a night to be told what to do and they haven't got any more than any other site, you can have acsi in Europe for about £15 and campsites for £20 down to £12 for the works hot weather, pools , bars the lot.

3 star sites on a beach with restaurants and all facilities from approx £25, that in summer..... CC? 1 or 2 star in comparison at most and we haven't even mentioned the weather yet! plus most in the middle of nowhere!lol

As I said haven't lived:)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
We,' ve been members since the 1970's and never once had problems with any wardens on any site. The rule about which way your door should face had been long gone: you can park whichever way suits you so long as you conform to the - sensible- fire safety distance from neighbours.

Bluntly if all users of sites exhibited decent standards of behaviour and hygiene then the clubs would not have to put up so many reminder notices and the wardens would not have to bite their tongues, or not, when confronted with people who don' t consider others.

Spend a day or two watching wardens deal with less civilised members of the public, their children and their nasty habits and you might have a little more sympathy when they are a bit sharp with minor irritants during their day.

They are human, doing a sterling job and, though I don' t know, I suspect they are paid very little for doing it.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
3 star sites on a beach with restaurants and all facilities from approx £25, that in summer..... CC? 1 or 2 star in comparison at most and we haven't even mentioned the weather yet! plus most in the middle of nowhere!lol

As I said haven't lived:)

What's wrong with the middle of nowhere in the UK? Some people prefer that to a million Dutch (apologies) ankle biters swarming around your van. The British countryside is awesome. Maybe you haven't lived .. and some of us have moved on a bit.
There are also some stunning campsites.. from the two main clubs and privately run that have excellent facilities (including decent EHU).
We love Europe but we also appreciate what we have here. We can take a quick trip to a camping in the forest site.. a stunning site in Devon a dogwalking mecca in the midlands or a breathtaking site in Scotland in a few hours. Not to mention the incredible selection of cs and cl sites that can be absolute jewels.
I like the British way that the main clubs run things and I think many others do too.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The rule about which way your door should face had been long gone:
Yes I believe that too and as I've said I've never been told otherwise and definitely not supervised while parking, I've only experienced that at C&CC where they show you to the pitch that they say you must have :LOL:.
The problem is that on some pitches there is less space outside your door if you reverse in and have an offside hab door as that space is only big enough for servicing your tugger roll along etc. So if you choose to do this you cannot take the pee and ignore the corner to the post rule. I don't complain about it. Wifey won't sleep with her head next to the road and no one has ever said she must.

Reactions: CWH

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Eeyore - you have to park with your offside corner to a white pitch marker, this CC site even had a model showing you exactly how you had to line up on your pitch. Found it embarrassing, members being talked down to in this way. We normally stay on C&CC THS but had to use this site because the friends we were meeting up with were CC members.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No you don't all the wardens now clearly explain that forward or reverse the peg still applies but your choice.
I.E. if you drive in it is nearside corner to the peg.
Some wardens are just so focused on tuggers that they don't always explain fully. Just park to the peg either way none will come after you later. If they do, take pictures and submit them to CC HQ but don't turn around!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back