Caravan Club and grilling

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by weejohnw, Aug 21, 2015.

1. weejohnw

weejohnw Funster

We just visited a Caravan Club site in Wales which we booked and received email confirmation. When we turned up we were asked by a relative of a WWII dictator if we had booked... he apparently seemed annoyed that our registration did not match his records. I thought it was myself and my wife who were members, not my vehicle. Do I have to inform the CC every and any time we change our vehicle? Are they an insurance company or DVLA? My wife was quite upset at the grilling she received from this jumped up ***** strunting about in a logo shirt as if it made him something special! Later a site inspector happened to be around and asked my wife for her card etc and he was quite happy with things. We haven't used the CC sites very often, but this is the same type of reaction from wardens that we received when we used another CC site in the Lake District the last time. On our return home we went in to our bank and have cancelled our subscription. Letter ready to CC for posting. Too many weeeee dictators. Park this way, move a millimetre the other way, don't do this, don't do that. Holidays are supposed to be a relaxing experience, but obviously CC site wardens have other ideas. The CLs are a better option, but we'll take our chances elsewhere. Had enough of these dictators.

• Like Like x 10
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Oh dear, and holidays are supposed to be relaxing affairs. :)

You don't have to tell them if you change your MH but if you do when you turn up they will recognise who you are and have things ready by the time you walk into reception. That has generally been my experience and I've never had any hassle on CC sites - but a few have and like you they vote with their feet. You'll miss their little magazine! :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Having worked at ccc sites, you check the vehicle registration, but no problem if different.
    Easy change on booking system
    :)

4. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

You should probably relax a little.. why let something so trivial upset you.
    It's just a camping club ...
    It should be no suprise they have rules and procedures
    Cant say as either club wardens have ever upset me really. .. but like @DBK said.. vote with your feet.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Zepp

Zepp Funster

There is never any reason to be rude and Im not defending anyone .

I was told the reason they ask you to update your unit details is certain members let other members of there family use there membership card saving that person the cost of membership.

6. beacons

beacons Funster

Was it near to Llanelli by any chance.?

7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Simple security. Is it really so difficult to book with the correct details? you can even amend your booking at any time. Give em a break

• Like Like x 2
  8. The Wino

The Wino Funster

It seems to me in the past when we used the sites they feel they are doing you a favour letting you stay there its a bit like a lot of council offices and officials and about time they realised its the members who pay their wages.

• Like Like x 2
  9. lorger

lorger Funster

I must be going to the wrong site, in the 8 years we have been members we have never had an issue with wardens always found them polite and helpful, ruins my holiday as im always looking for an argument and cant get one :D:D

• Like Like x 11
  10. weejohnw

weejohnw Funster

Savings for non-members at this particular site was a massive £2.
    Rules are rules and you need them, but to have them so enthusiastically enforced is bordering on the ridiculous.

• Like Like x 2
  11. weejohnw

weejohnw Funster

ONLY sites we have ever had bother with Wardens on were on Caravan Club sites.
    Maybe we should install a James Bond style revolving number plate!
    With what was described as a "foreign side door" on our motorhome, and no rear windows, we do not want to be parked up looking into a hedge but would like to park with a view out over the site - but rules are rules!

• Like Like x 3
  12. weejohnw

weejohnw Funster

Give them a break----? After a long drive an interogation rather than an "hello and welcome" is not a good start.
    Then to be directed facing the wrong way, millimetre perfect onto a pitch is even less of a welcoming follow up.
    as I said, the Caravan Club sites are the ONLY sites, both within the UK or abroad that we have EVER had problems on.
    If you have never experienced this type of dogmatic, "i'm wearing the logo" mentality, then great. But we have and it really puts a bad taste on staying on a Club site.
    We have totally different experiences on the CL's which are great and much more welcoming, but not always suited to all types of trips.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Techno

I certainly would not let them dictate whether I parked forward or reverse and I've yet to encounter that.
    Mine too is continental side

I look forwards to them trying to dictate that
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  14. weejohnw

weejohnw Funster

If you have never experienced this type of "Hitler" mentality on a Caravan Club site from the Wardens, then please do not "judge" me for expressing what we DID experience.
    It seems all too often to happen. The savings do not warrant the membership cost and on many occasions the facilities on offer are equally as good on other sites. Will have to find some more toilet reading material once the mag stops arriving. :cry:
    To give credit where it is due, we stayed also at Glenfield Caravan Park near Leeds and the lady there was terrific, helpful and friendly. This is a site we would highly recommend. Clean - very clean in fact, manicured lawns and any help required regarding information etc was offered in a friendly helpful manner. Well done Gemma at Glenfield- not a CC site and cheaper!:D

• Like Like x 1
  15. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

When booking online, it asks for vehicle details. It comes up with details that you have entered before, the reg number and size. If for example your previous van was 5.5 metres long and your new one 7.5 metres but you hadn't bothered to tell them, you may find there isn't a pitch available to accommodate a 7.5 metre van, then what would you do? Is it really so hard to change the details that have been stored.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Techno

Caravan club wardens don't all come out of a mould and a personal experience of one warden on one site is in my view not enough to blight the whole organisation. They do a very difficult job and face many quite objectionable members throughout the day which can have an adverse affect on them and how they might wrongly treat someone.
    I do look forwards to the reply you get from HQ

• Like Like x 4
  17. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Since we purchased our new motorhome in mid-March we have spent a total of 59 nights on 12 different CC sites, as well as many nights on CC CL's.
    My bookings are always made on-line and I ensure that the outfit details shown on my booking are correct.
    We have never had cause to criticise any staff, either this year or in the many previous years that we have been members. I treat them with respect and this has always been reciprocated.
    On arrival I always explain that my MH has the hab door on the 'wrong' side and ask how they want me to pitch. I accept their instructions because I know that they need to keep a safe distance between outfits in order to comply with the CC policy on fire prevention.
    There is a problem with people borrowing members cards. It's not just a case of them saving a quid or two on site fees. We use the Club because we know that, like using a Premier Inn, we know what to expect on arrival. Not just in terms of facilities but also the behaviour of our fellow site users.
    If I arrive at a CC site and the warden suspects that I am not the person entitled to use the membership card (and the benefits that go with it) I will gladly provide alternative evidence that I am the member.
    Just because I am a member of the Club I do not own it. I am just one of tens of thousands, and if I don't like the rules I should get out. A bit like this forum.
    Stef.

• Like Like x 8
  18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Why we are not members any more, only stayed at a few of their sites not one of them was a pleasant experience, everyone of them had there jobsworth little Hitler wardens. Never had any problems on any other sites, but it has made us avoid sites as much as possible.

19. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

We are members, wasn't sure about renewing after first year, but as I am from York and family and friends still live there it's convenient so we stayed members, yes there are a lot of rules, but they make them clear so not a problem, wardens have always been polite and happy on all sites we visited and other than a couple of sites where we were told it was for safety reasons we have been allowed to pitch front in or out as long as to the legendary pitch marker. When we swapped van, couple of minutes to change details on line.
    Will probably only use them now for York but even for that one site it's worth being a member as it costs £10 extra a night for none members.
    Current wardens at York are very nice and happy, we were greeted last week by them dressed as Elvis, very happy holiday feel.
    CC forum however is another matter it's full of miserable moaning gits.

Lin :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. chaser

chaser Funster

For what it's worth, we are in ccc but only for this year as I forgot to stop my direct debit in time last year, we have been in it about 4 years now but only used camps the first couple of months, very strange feeling they are sort of catering for people that have been going since the year dot and don't really want any interlopers in their little setup, but they will have to get used to it or they will be sending everyone to France .
    We stayed in it just for the meets and rally's in the back of the mag which are very good value for money if they are where you want to be but even them are very cliky but for the money you can stand that but when they want £30 a night to boss you about, no thanks.
    We shall be out this time , France and aires are just too compelling (y)

• Like Like x 5