Caravan & Camping Club - 3 nights minimum stay policy (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I wonder, then, how we have managed to enjoy every holiday we've had in our vans over the last 9 years or so ;):D
We have had ten days in the dales and moors a fortnight ago after three years solid holidays in Europe , it was just like we hadn't gone anywhere, pretty much like being at home , no sense of adventure , nothing any different than being in uttoxeter , same pubs , same shops , same everything, except everything was dearer than France, food, diesel , wine, just no contest , and to put the lid on it ccc ridiculous prices to sit in a field with a wooden hut with an earth closet.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
The Keswick C&CC site is always very busy....but you can sometimes get on if you check on the morning of your intented visit.
Phone the site direct.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Umm..... when I check the dictionary definition of club it doesn't seem to mention business and profit. Still - as I say it doesn't affect me as I am no longer a member :)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
It tends to be weekends, sometimes a pitch is wasted as someone only wants One night.
You are better off speaking to the site directly for bookings.
They will be more flexible than the computer at central bookings.
It's still better than the caravan club, where members book several sites on the same weekend, as no deposit is requested, and then choose at the last minute, again, stopping others from booking up.

You cannot book multiple sites on the same dates on one membership number online with Caravan Club
It cannot be done as the system won't allow it .

Reactions: mto
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
I don't dispute what you say Mike. The problem (if that is the right word) is, though, that in this country there are far more tent and caravan campers than motorhome campers. Sites, be they owned by clubs or not, have to try to cater for that full mix.

I don't know the proportion of motorhomers who like to move on every day or two to those who like to stay longer but our experience of rallies/meets indicates that there are plenty in the latter category. Perhaps any approach to the C&CC should be along the lines of asking them to check those proportions so that they can gauge how closely they meet those needs.

Good suggestion, Graham, I'll do exactly that.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Who other than the CC and CCC can authorise a landowner to apply to a council for permission to have a 5 van site CL. I was wondering because they restrict the use to their members and that is a RESTRICTIVE practice and illegal or certainly should be. The CL owner can be struck off the list for having a non member on site.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I thought the CC was a members run club so we should tell them the rules not have them dictated to us.
What is wrong with a private land owner allowing some friends to use their land for a short period and paying them to plug in to their electric, is that illegal?

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I expect so - you are in the UK :)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
@Touchwood whilst you're raising this can you pass on my frustration at their booking system - it's crap!
I've complained many times and they've still to acknowledge it.
Their web has said no availability or site won't take an 8.5m MH but when you call the site direct they can and do accept larger MH's.
All C&CC say is you have to ring the sites direct. What's the point of having a booking website?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You're right of course, they won't lose much sleep over me leaving - but I did sort of hope that if I could get enough support on this forum for my views then maybe we could apply a little pressure?

You can tell them from me they can stick the 3 night policy up their arses... Two night is acceptable but a mandatory 3 is not...

Simply put we will go elsewhere and will not renew our membership.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have had ten days in the dales and moors a fortnight ago after three years solid holidays in Europe , it was just like we hadn't gone anywhere, pretty much like being at home , no sense of adventure , nothing any different than being in uttoxeter , same pubs , same shops , same everything, except everything was dearer than France, food, diesel , wine, just no contest , and to put the lid on it ccc ridiculous prices to sit in a field with a wooden hut with an earth closet.
You enjoy one thing we enjoy another. That does not mean that either of us is bound to do as the other does, does it? :)
Who other than the CC and CCC can authorise a landowner to apply to a council for permission to have a 5 van site CL. I was wondering because they restrict the use to their members and that is a RESTRICTIVE practice and illegal or certainly should be. The CL owner can be struck off the list for having a non member on site.
All organisations who hold an exemption under Para 5 of the First Schedule of the 1960 Act can issue a certificate to a 5 van site. Those organisations are listed Broken Link Removed. It is perfectly legal for an organisation to restrict use of its exempted sites to its own members. If CL owners don't like that they are fully at liberty to obtain a certificate from an organisation that does not apply such a restriction (Fun or the MCC for example). However, many CL owners actually welcome the restriction as they believe (rightly or wrongly) that it gives a measure of control over the people who book with them. At the end of the day it is the CL owner who decides whether or not to let anyone onto his site.
I thought the CC was a members run club so we should tell them the rules not have them dictated to us.
Is there any evidence that the CC/C&CC are dictating or is it simply that "we" are in a minority so have to accept the decisions of the majority of members who are happy with the status quo?
What is wrong with a private land owner allowing some friends to use their land for a short period and paying them to plug in to their electric, is that illegal?
To be legal land owners have to comply with the requirements of the 1960 Act.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I also find the 3 night rule a pain. It isn't a problem for me personally but when I want to meet up with friends who are still working it makes it impossible.
I have found however that if travelling around (not pre booking) if you drop in to a site looking just for a night (or 2) a good. number of wardens will try and accommodate me, especially if I don't want EHU.
I will retain my membership of the C & CC as for me, a solo traveller, it is the cheapest option.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
If you're going to embrace the motorhome adventure properly surely you don't book at all because you never quite know where you're going to be at any one time. If you book, you have set yourself a timescale and to me that spoils the holiday. I do the same when motorcycle touring and have never not been able to find somewhere to sleep.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you're going to embrace the motorhome adventure properly surely you don't book at all because you never quite know where you're going to be at any one time.

are you saying if we book a site we are not embracing the adventure ?

not always the case.. some of us like to book for a specific site for a specific period.. even if it's only one night.. other times we take our chances and go with the flow.. .. but it doesn't make us less adventurous..

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Many sites abroad combine an Aire type stopover with a full caravan/camping site. These are usually outside the main camp with a Borne and entry barrier. You book the main site pitches, but the Aire is on a first come first served basis. These are often open all year, when the main site is closed. The clubs could provide such facilities if the wished. They just don't perceive the need. The way to get them to change is to get members onto the committee. This years elections are underway, so it would be next year for others to stand for election.
It is many years since I used a CC or C&CC site but we use the CL/CS network.
The CC & C&CC are companies limited by guarantee. This does not prevent them running as clubs. However if the members agree they could be sold off as commercial organisations to asset stripping private equity companies.
The AA & RAC where members clubs but were sold off in this manner.
The big problem for any exempted organisation getting 5 van sites is finding landowners will to host them. Also many local authorities seem to think that only the CC represent caravan users. I held an exemption for a club on the list Graham put a link to, and obtained them for another on the list. When I approached a number of authorities for a site to be a CL they often came back with "approach your club" and when I asked for a further clarification they said the Caravan Club. We held exactly the same exemptions as that club but getting it through to them was a job.

Last edited:
Reactions: GJH
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You enjoy one thing we enjoy another. That does not mean that either of us is bound to do as the other does, does it? :)

Not saying anything about what you do , just an example of the stupid prices ccc charge even for cls for nothing but a shed in a muddy field as opposed to Tarmac or at least gravelled hard standings on free Aires , especially when they have already had forty odd quid off you .
For what you get in this country a couple of quid should be plenty.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Quite often when enroute we look for a one night stop over, on more than one occasion we have found the site that was perfect location wise doesn`t for one night stays.
Simple solution is find somewhere else to stop, I can understand that some sites think they are missing out accepting a one night booking when a two night booking might come along I just wonder how many times they are left with an empty pitch because of this rule.

It`s not an isolated situation, cottages and other holiday homes use the same format, the only difference that as the dates become closer with no bookings you can usually get a good deal on an empty cottage.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not saying anything about what you do , just an example of the stupid prices ccc charge even for cls for nothing but a shed in a muddy field as opposed to Tarmac or at least gravelled hard standings on free Aires , especially when they have already had forty odd quid off you .
For what you get in this country a couple of quid should be plenty.
When are you going to open your site charging a couple of quid a night then? :D

Seriously, though, the prices charged are, like everything else, subject to market forces. If sites charge too much they will soon go out of business through lack of bookings. Prices of CSs and CLs are not controlled by the clubs but by the site owners.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Quite often when enroute we look for a one night stop over, on more than one occasion we have found the site that was perfect location wise doesn`t for one night stays.
Simple solution is find somewhere else to stop, I can understand that some sites think they are missing out accepting a one night booking when a two night booking might come along I just wonder how many times they are left with an empty pitch because of this rule.

It`s not an isolated situation, cottages and other holiday homes use the same format, the only difference that as the dates become closer with no bookings you can usually get a good deal on an empty cottage.
Yes, one only has to go to Laterooms or similar sites to see that that is the case and, as others have said, it is often possible to make a 1 night booking if turning up at a site and asking.

The policies in all cases tend to be for advance bookings. If Member A wants a single night and gets in before Member B who wants 5 nights then the club stands to lose 4 nights. The other way about the club loses 1 night.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When are you going to open your site charging a couple of quid a night then? :D

Seriously, though, the prices charged are, like everything else, subject to market forces. If sites charge too much they will soon go out of business through lack of bookings. Prices of CSs and CLs are not controlled by the clubs but by the site owners.
I would quite happily open a field at £2 a night if it wasn't for getting involved with planners and the like, about half an acre of land that's not much use for anything else, five vans £10 a night , do me.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would quite happily open a field at £2 a night if it wasn't for getting involved with planners and the like, about half an acre of land that's not much use for anything else, five vans £10 a night , do me.
Which is probably why those who do charge more, to claw back the effort they have put in.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I thought this issue was just my rotten luck and limited to certain sites.
Now I know it is policy I have just phoned up and cancelled my renewal for next year..
Because of the policy ( which I did not know about ) we only managed to use one site while doing the round Britain trip
We do not use it for ferry discounts ( as they no longer really work out too well ) and do not use it for cheaper insurance ( which every year has worked out dearer than elsewhere )

I have absolutely no issue with the sites, the wardens or the folk who work for the 'club' in general at all. In fact I have always found everyone I have dealt with to be kind and helpful.
The ( albeit limited ) contacts I have had with the CCC has been nothing but good.. It is purely a fiscal decision based on our activity, but the three day ruling just put us 'over the edge' when it comes to renewing ...

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Actually jims site is a good example £5 a night for far better facilities than we came across in our latest travels, he can do it so why do they come up with £18 a night upwards.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My recollection is that Keswick have had this policy in place for donkeys years. We used to go there when we had trailer tents and I remember it then. When I asked why, back then, they said the site was so popular it was almost always full. Inference being they don't need odd-nighters. The best protest in my view is don't go there. Someone else has mentioned Castelrigg, just up the hill. That is a very good location for Keswick. Gary

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Actually jims site is a good example £5 a night for far better facilities than we came across in our latest travels, he can do it so why do they come up with £18 a night upwards.
Perhaps because they have enough customers to be able to do so?

How many businesses sell their products/services for less than the market rate?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back